What's new

How much do you rinse after shaving with Soap?

great question!

after the shave, i do a light water rinse.

BUT, then I smear the leftover brush lather over the shaven face!

After, wipe that off with the hand.

That seems to add a nice glycerin layer over the skin.

Then, I do a cold wet towel wipe.

Followed by whatever aftershave lotion or balm.

Warm water rinse, then
Cold water rinse, then
Use alum block, then
Cold water rinse, then
Pat dry, then
Witch hazel and/or aftershave

I clean my gear after applying the alum and the subsequent cold rinse.

I was thinking about asking this question the other day.

I think that when you rinse gently with cold water you remove most of the "soap" product, but perhaps leave some of the lipids and glycerin. That's why I do a light rinse, but not till I'm completely squeaky clean.

Wash face in shower with Cerave Foaming Wash
Exit to shave drying everything except face
After shaving I reenter shower and wash face with Vichy Normaderm Cleanser.

Water is IMO not enough to prep beard. You need a top notch cleanser to remove dirt & oil from skin to saturate the beard. After shaving the Vichy has three different acids that help prevent ingrowns and aging. It works as well as levels the playing field whereas some of the cheapest soaps shave as well as the most expensive.

I shave at the sink, but then I turn around and lean over the side of the tub and rinse my face completely with the hand-held shower nozzle with warm water, using the lowest volume setting..
Then I rub an alum block on my face.
Rinse out the lather bowl and sink basin. (30-60 seconds)
Back to the tub and shower nozzle to rinse off the alum, with cold water.
Towel-dry my face and finish cleanup.
Apply an alcohol splash.

If I wanted to leave any kind of residue, it would be the shea butter in the Proraso Red AS.
There's just enough of it to feel the difference, but not be sticky or gooey like many balms.

Most shave soaps I just rinse off with warm water. With certain soaps or scents that leave a residue that might irritate my face (Tabac, lavender, rose, etc), I re-wash my face with my pre-shave face soap (Grandpa Pine Tar or Neutrogena). That way I can still use soaps I like without as much redness or irritation later.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
After shaving, I rinse my face with cold tap water until I no longer feel any soap. The volume of water necessary depends on the particular soap I used that AM.
Pretty much nails it for me too

I usually shave, give a rinse to get any hair that may be trapped in my face lather off, and before cleaning out my brush take a small amount and rub into my skin. I do not often get the luxury of AS so this is as close as I come most of the time. Keeps your skin feeling soft and smooth for most of the day.

I rinse until all the slickness is gone. Modern Williams Mug Soap is super slick, so it takes a little while, while most of the other soaps I have seem to rinse off pretty easily.

I rinse off all of the soap with warm water, and while my face is still wet rub it with an alum block. I wait a few seconds and rinse again with cold water. I pat it dry and then use a moisturizer or after shave balm. It sounds somewhat involved but really takes less than a minute.

Depends on the ingredients. If it has a lot of skin food and didn't give me a drying post-shave then I just rinse until all the visible suds are gone. If it's a soap soap like Tabac or MdC, I rinse thoroughly.

Head shaver and shower shaver. I wash, turn off the water, lather, shave and then turn the water back on to rinse everything. I still have some soap stuck in my ears even after a full rinse.

Top Bottom