What's new

Mild solid build DE 89 alternative

Have been wet shaving for about 7 years-- I think. I have very sensitive skin and have average beard growth. I have tried open and closed comb, can handle aggressive razors, but can only shave with them maybe once or twice a week. I own about 8 different DE razors, but my favorite is still the EJ DE89, I guess because I have it dialed down. I bought an ATT head with the mild plate and hate it, it's too mild, comfortable to shave but to mild. Have the Razorock Baby Smooth but don't like that it's aluminum.

I am looking for a well, or rather, better build de89 alternative. One with better blade alignment and sturdier construction. Would like to buy the Razorock DJ-90, but they are out of stock. Thinking of the following options:

1-Karve with a B and C plate

2-Timeless Bronze

3- Feather DS-2

4-The new ATT Windsor with an M plate

Suggestions and alternatives welcomed.

I can’t comment on most of the others but the AS D2 is a mild shaver yet efficient, I do think that if you don’t like the ATT as it was too mild, you wouldn’t like that razor.

I recently bought the Mamba 70 and really enjoy it, but do you prefer razors with a shallow blade angle , or wide angle like the EJ in comparison?

Side note, EJ is making a stainless steel razor in the near future . I think it’s called like the 3 one 6 or something.

You listed some good options. Don’t count out vintage razors! Many offer a nice mild shave and are solid brass.

I can’t comment on most of the others but the AS D2 is a mild shaver yet efficient, I do think that if you don’t like the ATT as it was too mild, you wouldn’t like that razor.

I recently bought the Mamba 70 and really enjoy it, but do you prefer razors with a shallow blade angle , or wide angle like the EJ in comparison?

Side note, EJ is making a stainless steel razor in the near future . I think it’s called like the 3 one 6 or something.
I was about to buy the Mamba 70 and I think they ran out of it, that's my one gripe with Razorock, they seem to always run out of stock. I am like the EJs a lot, so I will wait for the for that stainless steel 3 one 6.

Thanks.

The Rockwell 6S at R3 is very similar to the DE89. Enough so that it supplanted mine, relegating it to being a travel razor.

Then you have five other settings to play with. Two milder, three more aggressive.

I really like my Game Changer .68, but you would have to find it used.

Blue Tip for vintage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the DE89, the Timeless Bronze and the Timeless Titanium and Stainless The Timeless Stainless Steel and Titanium SB match the DE89 in smoothness.. The .68 SB may be slightly less efficient than the DE89 and the .95 SB more efficient. But both are amazingly smooth, just like my DE89. I guess it is the way Timeless razors hold the blade rigid which accounts for its smoothness. The Timeless Bronze I find has a tendency to harshness until you dial in the angle and find the best blade for you. All Timeless are multiple lifetime razors and very much worth the cost IMHO.

The Rockwell 6S at R3 is very similar to the DE89. Enough so that it supplanted mine, relegating it to being a travel razor.

I figure the EJ89 is right between plate 3 and 4 on the Rockwell. I used 3 a lot at first, but have settled on 4. Switched to straights lately so haven't used my Rockwell for awhile, but it's my favorite DE.

I would note that Edwin Jagger has announced that it will soon release some all steel, aluminium and other new models.

Check out the EJ Facebook posts and search B&B.

EJ is apparently feeling the competitive sting of inexpensive steel and similar models from North American vendors like Razorock and Maggards, and other Chinese and Indian manufacturers.

Some good advice so far.

The Karve is a nice option given that to change aggressiveness you're just in it for another base plate rather than a whole new razor/head.

I have the DE89, the Timeless Bronze and the Timeless Titanium and Stainless The Timeless Stainless Steel and Titanium SB match the DE89 in smoothness.. The .68 SB may be slightly less efficient than the DE89 and the .95 SB more efficient. But both are amazingly smooth, just like my DE89. I guess it is the way Timeless razors hold the blade rigid which accounts for its smoothness. The Timeless Bronze I find has a tendency to harshness until you dial in the angle and find the best blade for you. All Timeless are multiple lifetime razors and very much worth the cost IMHO.

I couldn’t agree more, friend! A Timeless Ti or SS .68 would be an excellent choice. The absolute smoothest razor out there in my opinion and more efficient than the DE89, without sacrificing comfort. I found that I could not get comfortable, irritation free shaves from the Bronze, but it has its fans.

I couldn’t agree more, friend! A Timeless Ti or SS .68 would be an excellent choice. The absolute smoothest razor out there in my opinion and more efficient than the DE89, without sacrificing comfort. I found that I could not get comfortable, irritation free shaves from the Bronze, but it has its fans.
FWIW I find the Timeless Bronze .78 as challenging as the R41 ro get a bloodless, irritation free, shave. Occasionally I enjoy that challenge and when I get it right it gives a very close, smooth have with a Feather. The .38 baseplate is less challenging to use but gives a bit less close shave. For me the Timeless Titanium and Stainless with any baseplate seem almost idiot proof and with almost any blade give a great shave, which is probably why I like them so much!

Top Bottom