What's new

Shaving with the Gillette Adjustable

I bought a 1964 Gillette adjustable about 2 months ago. I’ve messing around with the settings to see how high a setting my face will take. The other day I cranked it up to 7 and used a shark super chrome (3rd shave), and proraso green soap. I think it was the best shave I have ever had. Just wanted to share. I will say, I had about a weeks growth because I had been away for training and didn’t shave while I was away.
Awesome - I have a '64 Slim and have only used it a few times so far. Love the shave on setting 3 but now know I can crank it up a bit.
Wonderful razor and smooth shave I get.

M

Member 113878

Recently got a K-1 on the BST forum here, and it’s the best TTO I ever got!
Probably the best razor I got to date, in fact!

I like to start low, at #3 or something, and then dial up on consequtive shaves. I want to use #9 ATG to get a really great shave. Starting low minimises the cumulative irritation.

I'm a set and forget adjustable razor user. I usually run from 5 to 7 (Fatboy, Slim, or Black Beauty) depending on which blade I'm using, and how many shaves are on it.

My last 2 shaves (including tonight). I cranked up to 8 and used an astra sp. All I can say is WOW, they were some great shaves.

After using my early 50's SS that I inherited from my Grandfather, I decided to try out an adjustable. Got a great deal on an early 60's Slim. I went for broke and cranked it up to 9 just to see how an aggressive razor performs. It was an intense shave to say the least. I got a very clean shave, but man did it hurt afterwards. I'm gonna dial it back and work my way back up until my technique is better.

I’ll second starting low, maybe 3, and working your way up to find the settings that suit you best. I love my slim and fatboy at a setting of 7 as it’s the perfect combination of smoothness and closeness for me.

Trying 9 was mostly out of curiosity. I’ve been shaving with my SS’s for a few years now so have never experienced an aggressive shave. Probably will be the last time for a while, but my curiosity is satisfied.

I usually start with a 7 for the WTG pass, dial down to a 5 for XTG, and finish up on a 3 for ATG. No irritation DFS every time. Sometimes I get a little greedy and go for the BBS by touching up spots on the 1 setting.

Trying 9 was mostly out of curiosity. I’ve been shaving with my SS’s for a few years now so have never experienced an aggressive shave. Probably will be the last time for a while, but my curiosity is satisfied.
But isn’t it great to have choices?

:001_tongu

When using any of the Gillette Adj.( I own a 61 Fatboy-birth year; 2 Slims, and 1 Black beauty SA), I start on 9 for the WTG pass.

My XTG pass, I bump it down to 7 and then on the ATG pass down to 5. By the time I'm finished, my face is glass bulb smooth.

marty

Graydog

Biblical Innards
What I Love about My 1958 Fatboy and 1958 Toggle is
I can adjust them to whatever I need ,anywhere from 3 to 9
with either a Feather or Gillette Spoiler and get a super smooth BBS shave
every time . No problems with RB or nicks . They are by Far My two Favorite Razors
As with any Razor You need to spend time and Learn How to use it for your own Face .
PS. IT seems the only time I use My Slim is on @imatabor s Birthday Shave :)

I tend to use adjustables around their mid setting , imagining when they were designed they were were optimized for use there.. Not really bought in to the adjustables concept, if i can get a BBS with a Tech not sure why i need a Slim on 9.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The posts from shavers are a window to their shaving habits. If you can’t get above 3 or 4 on a Slim, it’s invariably because you’re using pressure. (Same thing, if you’re using a Model T, with the 6 setting.) In other words, given a decent razor, an experienced shaver should be able to get a good shave.

Note the caveat: “decent razor”.

When using any of the Gillette Adj.( I own a 61 Fatboy-birth year; 2 Slims, and 1 Black beauty SA), I start on 9 for the WTG pass.

My XTG pass, I bump it down to 7 and then on the ATG pass down to 5. By the time I'm finished, my face is glass bulb smooth.

marty

+1, but go down to 3 with my Super 84

Top Bottom