What's new

Best tip for de shaving.

Probably the best tip I’ve gained from this site is, don’t apply any pressure. Let the razor do the work. Great advice, however.....

....using my mercur 34c, no matter which blade I use, never gets my difficult jaw line and under chin area really smooth until I’ve done multiple clean up passes over those areas. If I apply minimal pressure on the rest of my face, I get a bbs shave. But to achieve that on my difficult areas, I need to make numerous passes and end up applying pressure. Apart from the time it’s taking, I’m on the edge of getting irritation, which I want to avoid.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Maybe a different razor.
2. Don't chase BBS. Feels nice for a short while, then its gone.
3. Pull/stretch the difficult parts up/down to an easier to shave location.
4. Don't overthink it.

R

romsitsa

Try another razor. Can’t recommend any specific model as what works for me probably won’t work for others. I tend to get moderate irritation on my neck (sensitive skin, hair grow in a swirl and I still have to have BBS there too) when I skip preparation, but this is a clear user error.

Adam

Best tip I've learned from the forums is how to get those pesky whiskers under my nose/nostrils. Lightly push the cap of the razor against the nose with the handle almost touching the face, then, with the cap still pressed against the nose, raise the handle away from the face. Works every time for me!

1. Maybe a different razor.
2. Don't chase BBS. Feels nice for a short while, then its gone.
3. Pull/stretch the difficult parts up/down to an easier to shave location.
4. Don't overthink it.

Great list! #2 on this list is something that all should keep in mind. I think we’ve all paid for a BBS shave in the past. It’s not worth it if you end up with irritation or razor burn. #4 is also great advice!

I use a Merkur 33C, and those are the same spots where I have issues. I just ordered an Edwin Jagger DE89, and am hoping that might produce some better results.

Buy a Muhle R41 and some Feather blades - take a long hot shower, face lather a quality soap adding more water to the soap than you thought possible (it can take it), then grab your block of alum and rub it all over your non shaving hand and then use that hand to stretch the heck out of your face! Shave.

Nom, nom!!

I suspect those of us who have been using a safety razor for decades think we are not using pressure when we are. We’ve learned to finesse.

A post shave balm does wonders on those occasions when I get too aggressive. I use Nivea for sensitive skin. Other than that, I fully agree with @bberg100

Probably the best tip I’ve gained from this site is, don’t apply any pressure. Let the razor do the work. Great advice, however.....

....using my mercur 34c, no matter which blade I use, never gets my difficult jaw line and under chin area really smooth until I’ve done multiple clean up passes over those areas. If I apply minimal pressure on the rest of my face, I get a bbs shave. But to achieve that on my difficult areas, I need to make numerous passes and end up applying pressure. Apart from the time it’s taking, I’m on the edge of getting irritation, which I want to avoid.

Any recommendations?

It helps to map your beard carefully, and know your beard, face and skin very well. For example, I've known for decades that although I have a relatively light and thin beard, for the ultimate in bbs closeness, I need to grow 2 or 3 days of stubble. I can get very close to bbs on a daily basis, though, and that is more than good enough. As for the Merkur 34C, at first I too found it left more stubble on my jaw line than I liked, and more aggressive razors did a better job with that. But in time, the difference decreased. At this point, my only beef with it is that you do have to pay some attention to aligning the blade, which isn't that hard, but early in the morning before my coffee, I don't want any unnecessary challenges.

Wow, some great advice and encouragement there. Thanks guys.
When I used cartridge razors, (spit), I didn’t even pay any attention to how close my shave was. I just accepted it for what it was.
Since switching to proper razors, shaving has become an enjoyable ritual, rather than a chore. Now, I’m trying to achieve the best shave every time. For me, shaving every other day gives the best results.
I have collected a few old Gillette techs over the last month or so and find these a tad more aggressive than the Merkur.
So far, I’ve only tried Wilkinson sword, Astra and Gillette 7 o clock blades in the 34c. I’ll try feathers or personas next shave, (tomorrow).

I suspect those of us who have been using a safety razor for decades think we are not using pressure when we are. We’ve learned to finesse.

I think this is probably true. I'd say having "a light touch" is probably more accurate than "no pressure." As you learn your gear you get a feel for what you can and can't get away with in terms of pressure.

Try a few different blades. Gillette yellow and Polsilver are working well for me, but you just have to keep sampling. And a new razor takes you back to square one.

Here's a good tip:

"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."

– Coach Finstock, Teen Wolf

Some great tips above!!

In addition, I suggest you map your beard to better understand what is happening in your difficult areas.

Top Bottom