What's new

MÜHLE R96 Rocca vs FATIP Grande OC

Which is the better shaver?

• MÜHLE Rocca

• FATIP Grande OC

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m currently taking the picollo through its first shaves, trying to dial it in. Don’t have the Mühle though so I can’t compare.

The piccolo is pretty aggressive, but has great potential.

The old Fatip's are about equal. I would sat the new milder ones are not in the same league.

In aggression/harshness? But does that translate as a better shave?

Fatip OC V1 held the blade further back towards the center of the cap, leaving more chatter and blade feel on the skin. Muhle designs like the Rocca and R41 are holding the blades even closer to the center so the blade flexes even more. Probably biggest offender in this aspect is a Merkur Futur. At higher settings it becomes a blade on a stick.

Fatip OC V2 head sit more flush and holds the blade at the very edge.

proxy.php

In aggression/harshness? But does that translate as a better shave?

Fatip OC V1 held the blade further back towards the center of the cap, leaving more chatter and blade feel on the skin. Muhle designs like the Rocca and R41 are holding the blades even closer to the center so the blade flexes even more. Probably biggest offender in this aspect is a Merkur Futur. At higher settings it becomes a blade on a stick.

Fatip OC V2 head sit more flush and holds the blade at the very edge.

proxy.php

Terrific analysis!! :a14::a14:

Thanks @BigJ :lips:

I should add that the reason why Muhle heads hold the blade so far back is to allow room for those lather channels. Open Comb designs don't have them so the blade can be held at the very edge, allowing minimum blade flex.

My vote is FaTip OC.
I have a FaTip 42115 (Originale Grande Classico 2.0 Gold Metal), and I love It.

But, there is something more efficient.
It's called Cobbled.
A good one is Maggard V3A on MR14.

I like aggressive razors. The Ikon Tech, CG 3 and R41 are daily drivers. I rate the V1 Fatip and Rocca a 7.
I find both are smooth, efficient razors. I've never had a problem with blade chatter when using sharp blades. I change blades after 3-4 shaves.
As far as the better shave I'll go with the Rocca simple because I can use a longer handle than the Fatip.

I like aggressive razors. The Ikon Tech, CG 3 and R41 are daily drivers. I rate the V1 Fatip and Rocca a 7.
I find both are smooth, efficient razors. I've never had a problem with blade chatter when using sharp blades. I change blades after 3-4 shaves.
As far as the better shave I'll go with the Rocca simple because I can use a longer handle than the Fatip.
So much of this I could have written myself. Don't much like the R41 but the Ikon Tech and CGL3 stand far above other razors in my shave pantheon. Haven't used the Rocca but the V1 Fatip does not hit the sweet spot for me. Not even close. Nor does the V2. In some ways the Fatips feel similar to the R41 though. They all seem to appreciate a shallow shave angle, which is where I go to harp the way some do around blade flex. Personally I've never found blade flex to be an issue. With or without doesn't impact my shave.

Based on my experience with other razors of similar configuration I know the Rocca would not be a good investment for me, they don't do well going ATG on my head (I hated the Blackbird). The Fatip does.

So much of this I could have written myself. Don't much like the R41 but the Ikon Tech and CGL3 stand far above other razors in my shave pantheon. Haven't used the Rocca but the V1 Fatip does not hit the sweet spot for me. Not even close. Nor does the V2. In some ways the Fatips feel similar to the R41 though. They all seem to appreciate a shallow shave angle, which is where I go to harp the way some do around blade flex. Personally I've never found blade flex to be an issue. With or without doesn't impact my shave.

Oh there is flex and chatter with thin DE blades, I assure you. The audible feedback is exactly that as the blade vibrates while going through stubble. Back in the day blades were much thicker, more of a wedge than a hollow grind, if I may use SR terms.

Oh there is flex and chatter with thin DE blades, I assure you. The audible feedback is exactly that as the blade vibrates while going through stubble. Back in the day blades were much thicker, more of a wedge than a hollow grind, if I may use SR terms.
There's flex and chatter, sure. My point is it doesn't bother me in the least. Kind of like the sound and it doesn't lessen the shave quality or experience.

There's flex and chatter, sure. My point is it doesn't bother me in the least. Kind of like the sound and it doesn't lessen the shave quality or experience.

Yesterday I shaved ATG on first pass, XTG 2nd, finishing off with WTG and cleanup. For day old stubble the Fatip was loud af. Astra's are really thin blades. But I found it interesting for a change. :)

Yesterday I shaved ATG on first pass, XTG 2nd, finishing off with WTG and cleanup. For day old stubble the Fatip was loud af. Astra's are really thin blades. But I found it interesting for a change. :)
Don't think I've ever deviated from WTG, XTG, ATG. Maybe I'll mix things up sometime just to see what happens. I've typically found that the first pass, WTG, sets up the other two. If done well, the latter passes are easy. If it doesn't cut close, the latter passes may pull and tug. Since ATG is the pass that can most easily drive the razor into the skin, it's always made sense to me that it comes last.

With my beard, I'd never try ATG first. But I could see trying XTG and seeing how it goes. Would do it with a single day's stubble and on a day when the previous shave had been close and efficient.

Top Bottom