What's new

How to clean DE blades after shaving

Hello guys,
I clean the razor with running tap water and then dry it using a towel after shaving. What should I do to clean the blade?

Thanks,
Bobby

Bobby, there is no one right way. I just rinse, shake the razor, done. Every four days I change blades, give a light Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach!) cleaning to the razor. Never wipe the blade. They cost 15 cents.

There's no need to clean the blade itself, unless you enjoy handling an extremely sharp implement with your fingers.

Apart from dismantling and cleaning the razor under running tap water I also throw a splash of alcohol and let it dry by itself.

I always remove the blade and then lay it on a paper napkin whereas I then fold it over once on it to just lightly pat dry. Never rub the blade edges as that causes undue wear to them.

Hello guys,
I clean the razor with running tap water and then dry it using a towel after shaving. What should I do to clean the blade?

Thanks,
Bobby
Unless they are carbon blades, I wouldn't worry with them. If so, I would do @Bogeyman method, and then put back into razor once the razor is dry, or better, before next shave.

what should I do to clean the blade?

Absolutely nothing.
Simply rinse the razor ,without removing the blade of course, under hot water,shake well and leave alone :)

No need to dry the razor .

When you change the blade ,I do it once per week,simply rub the razor well with a paper towel or toilet paper to remove the accumulated water salts.

Welcome to B&B.
I give the razor a quick scrub with hand soap and a toothbrush; monthly use a little tooth paste. The blade gets a light pinch and draw through tissue because hard water leaves a film of scum. Soft water does not require much maintenance.

Shave count on the blade in my razor is now into the 70's and like every other blade i've used i rinse the assembled head under running water for a sec, pat dry with an old shop cloth/rag then hang back up in the cupboard to air dry.
dave

I loosen the head of the razor, run it under warm water so that soap is removed from the blade, wait a minute or two and then dip the razor with the blade in it in rubbing alcohol to remove all traces of water, tighten the razor and put it away.

No need to clean the blade other than a quick rinse under the tap whilst still in the razor.
I've got to say I find it strange that some people take out a blade to clean or dry after each shave.
If the use a blade for say 5 shaves they are massively increasing the likelihood of getting cut.

I take apart my three piece razors and clean them after every shave. That means, for the blade, I rinse it and pat dry. Do not wipe.

Another great way is to lightly loosen the head and swish it in alcohol. You could do this to kill germs (unnecessary in my opinion), or to displace the water. Displacing the water is the best reason for using alcohol.

I find it interesting how many people consider inserting and removing a blade dangerous enough to cite it as a reason not to do anything with a blade in between changing it. I don't see the need to, but fear of the blade has nothing to do with it. Good thing stainless is used for most blades :)

Honing and stropping, much less using a SR . . .

I just don't see the point in handling a blade more than necessary when it will not corrode within a week anyway.
Why take it out & pat it dry between shaves... absolutely pointless in my opinion.

I just don't see the point in handling a blade more than necessary when it will not corrode within a week anyway.
Why take it out & pat it dry between shaves... absolutely pointless in my opinion.

I do take out the blade and blow the excess water off and do the same with the razor. Probably not necessary, but it’s what I do.

Top Bottom