What's new

How do you shave under your nose with a DE?

I shave daily, almost always with a straight. It takes me 20 minutes, for two passes and I have learned that its not wise to try and hurry it. On the few occasions when I run out of time, I use my Futur clone DE, and for the most it gives me a quick comfortable shave. The bit I have trouble with is under my nose. I have tried pinching my nose and pulling it up, I have tried going across, but I always end up with a bit of stubble that may not even be visible, but I know its there, I can feel it when I stroke it, and it has to be taken care of at some stage.

Curl your top lip over your top teeth and pull your nose up, hope that makes sense. Eventually your skin in that area will stretch without the nose pulling.

A couple of years ago, I got a nasty nick right at the top edge of my lip. I decided not to shave my upper lip until the wound healed. By that time, I had a decent looking mustache. I still have it today. Problem solved. My chin is so difficult to shave, I have thought about growing a goatee as well.

Curl your top lip over your top teeth and pull your nose up, hope that makes sense. Eventually your skin in that area will stretch without the nose pulling.

Excellent description. Note however that some razors make this easier than others by the mere fact that their head is thinner thereby allowing one to "squeeze" into that area more easily. The Gillette Tech is a great example. The toughest area is what is called the philtrum, the vertical indentation in the middle area of the upper lip, as you cannot get it to lay flat.

Excellent description. Note however that some razors make this easier than others by the mere fact that their head is thinner thereby allowing one to "squeeze" into that area more easily. The Gillette Tech is a great example. The toughest area is what is called the philtrum, the vertical indentation in the middle area of the upper lip, as you cannot get it to lay flat.

This is one thing I really appreciate about my new razor, the slim profile head. Makes shaving under the nose a breeze and I never miss a spot. The DE89 before it, I'd have to do all kinds of angles and approaches.

A couple of XTG passes will get you there. The WTG has to be steep and I would have to be very confident to try an ATG pass below the nose with a straight razor. You got to stretch that top lip down as much as possible to get that area shaved.

I honestly don't remember how I shaved under my nose, I've had my mustache 40 years.

Not quite forty years here, but enough to have the same issue. Maybe holding your mouth open and stretching your top lip down over your upper teeth? That's already been mentioned. I do something similar with my bottom lip to flatten the area between lip and chin. If I don't flatten the area, I'm left with stubble.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This area was a problem for me as well until I purchased a razor with a slim profile to the head. XTG can work for fat-headed razors, but you need to be careful - bad place for a nick.

Buy a Fatip.
Otherwise do the thirty to fifty passes in every imaginable direction I did before buying the Fatip. :)

This area was a problem for me as well until I purchased a razor with a slim profile to the head. XTG can work for fat-headed razors, but you need to be careful - bad place for a nick.

Makes sense about the size and thickness of the head. The Futur has a big thick head. Had a look at the Fatip. Which one do you recommend, the open comb or closed comb?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can almost shave inside my nostrils with the corner of my Fatip Grande, but the easier razor to use there is the Gillette Old Type. Old Type heads are even thinner.

Fatip Grande left. 1916 Gillette Single Ring right.
IMG_2602.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yes; a different, flatter headed razor.

Schick Krona comes to mind... And you could just keep a two-blade cart/disposable handy.

AA

For me, I like the Gillette Old type for its great shaves and thin profile (compared to many of the chunky modern razors); makes for a maneuverable razor.

If i use a bulky head razor (fatboy etc) i have to push my nose to the other side.
One of the benefits of other nimbler razor like Fatip , and Gillette OT as others already mentioned - no fuss at all.
For the ATG pass under my nose i begin with a sideway move and slowly turn to ATG while buffing.

I shave daily, almost always with a straight. It takes me 20 minutes, for two passes and I have learned that it's not wise to try and hurry it. On the few occasions when I run out of time, I use my Futur clone DE, and for the most, it gives me a quick comfortable shave. The bit I have trouble with is under my nose. I have tried pinching my nose and pulling it up, I have tried going across, but I always end up with a bit of stubble that may not even be visible, but I know its there, I can feel it when I stroke it, and it has to be taken care of at some stage.
A very simple straight forward answer to your question and don't forget to smile :D

proxy.php

Top Bottom