SOTD "FREE WEEK" February 11th - February 17th, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
8B70D1AA-4F6A-401F-A742-783231E60552.jpeg

Patti

Pre-Shave: Nuage Shaving Oil
Lather: Albus Palmira
Brush: Maseto 2-Band Badger
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat #15 (1937/38)
Blade: Gillette Blue for the 1st Pass
Personna Platinum Chrome for 2nd / 3rd Pass
Witch Hazel + Tea Tree Oil
Balm: Nivea Sensitive
Cologne: Rebul Lavanda
IMG_1536.JPG
It was only ever a matter of time before curiosity got the better of me and I tried one of the vintage blades that sometimes turn up with a vintage razor. The Gillette Blue was in a sealed wrap and I stropped and sterilised it before use. Barely finished the 1st pass before deciding it was tugging too much, so went with the trusted Israeli Red. Now that's more like it! I guess there's a reason that I've not seen these vintage blades featured much on SOTD. Had to be done though! And all's well that ends well; a really nice shave today.
Today's Music: John Coltrane 'Blue Trane'
IMG_1537.JPG

Wednesday SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: Joris Palladium
Blade: PoliSilver (D10)
Brush: Varlet Beehive 24mm
Bowl: Wedgwood China Pedestal Bowl 4 ½”
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept Patchouli & Mint
Shave Soap: Barrister & Mann Fougere Imperiale
Aftershave Penhaligon`s English Fern

Phoenix Shaving | Dixie
Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Copper Matrix | AP Shave Co. SynBad 30mm
The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74

proxy.php

Well, I was born in Texas City and raised in Bois d'Arc, Texas, and have been told more than once that I'm as "country as a turnip green", so a shave set called "Dixie" should probably be in my arsenal. Phoenix Shaving's revival of Dixie in the superb CK-6 soap base came at a great time as we're experiencing the huge temperature swings typical of February in Texas. My inaugural use of Dixie happened on a warm-ish sunny day, and it was a true delight.

Dixie is one of the lightest fragrances I've experienced from Phoenix Shaving. I'm certain this is by-design to convey some of the scents of the region in a gentlemanly fashion. For starters, I love magnolia, but it's not typically something I would wear. In the case of Dixie, the magnolia note was surprisingly muted if not supplanted by a prominent herbal note, thereby making the opening far less floral than I'd anticipated. While I'm a night shaver by default, I often sling a little splash in the mornings before work, especially when evaluating a fragrance for the first time. In the truck on the way to work this morning I caught a peculiar but fleeting grape Nehi fragrance. I didn't note this in the soap this evening, but the splash again this evening provided the same fleeting fake grape note. After a little investigation, I discovered this must be the Kudzu among the documented notes. I admit I'm not familiar with Kudzu (or at least I don't know it by name). When I brought it up to my wife, she immediately knew what I was referring to. She's a biologist and worked for Texas Parks and Wildlife for a number of years including the role as curator of a popular local fish hatchery. She explained that Kudzu is an infiltrative non-native nuisance plant that was brought here to the South as a ground cover. Often called "The Vine That Ate The South", it resulted in an old timers' colloquialism, "it took off like cut-zoo" when describing something that spreads rapidly.

But I digress, and you didn't come here for the long-winded musings of one Matt Hilton---or did you? Once the herbal floral abates, Dixie acquires a more earthy green accord with very faint uncured tobacco. Overall, this is a fresh and airy fragrance that will likely work best in the warmer months.

The art, as expected from Phoenix Shaving, is on point. However, I seem to have gotten one of the labels that I thought were a trial. While they have a matte finish, the dark colors scuff very easily. While not evident in my outdoors photo, mine arrived in less-than-presentable condition (at least by my standards). It's an easy remedy, though. While Douglas is seemingly omnipresent, when it comes to the rare order issue, using the site's contact form opens a direct portal to Fran, and she fixes everything. Within minutes, she assures me a new label is en route. Now, that's customer service!

proxy.php

Pre-Shave: Kiss my Face Olive Oil Soap, cold water
Razor: B&R Adjustable (2.5/1)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Doug Korn D7 Turquoise
Lather: Declaration Cuir et Epices from 2019 Paste & Cut Meet-Up Sample Box
Post-Shave: Alum, Thayers Original Alcohol Free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday :thumbup:

Proraso Green Pre/Post
The Owl Drug Co 24mm Strike Gold Shave Motherlode
TABAC
Gillette Short Comb NEW / Gillette Platinum (3)
Witch Hazel - Proraso Green Pre/post - Proraso/Osage Rub splash
proxy.php

Date: 13 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Razor/Blade:- PAA Starling SE v2.0 (Close Comb) / GEM Personna SS PTFE Coated #3
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
Fragrance:- L'Eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme

13 days down, 15 days to go for the whole month of Arko February shave.

Wednesday, 02/13/2019
Carsons Aphotecary,Exotic oud, pre & post protector and shaving cream; Edwin Jagger synthetic hair, Herman Hope,14.
proxy.php

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
SOTD 2-13-19
Pre-shave: Castle Forbes - Unscented
Soap: Pre de Provence
Razor: Rockwell 6C level 4
Blade: Rockwell (1}
Brush: Yaqi Black Marble Handle Plissoft Synthetic
After-shave: Pre de Provence Sante Green Tea

DSCF0002 - Edited.jpg

Brad Sears Nachtgras Ebonite 26 Pug Super Badger
Meissner Tremonia Lavender de Luxe
Karve Shaving Co The Christopher Bradley
Feather Blade
proxy.php

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

2019-02-13

Ikea bowl ¤ Victoria Silvertip ¤ Proshave P11 + Wilkinson
Floris JF soap ¤ Floris JF Aftershave ¤ Floris JF EDT

proxy.php

Wednesday SOTD

Gillette 48-49 NDC Super Speed
Lord Platinum (2)
TOBS Avocado
Stirling 22x51 li'l brudder synthetic
Aqua Velva Ice Blue​

Gillette Skinguard with cartridge
Phoenix Shaving 24mm Starcraft Synthetic Brush
Pacific Shaving Stick Shave Soap
Cremo Post Shave Balm
Phoenix Shaving Atomic Age Bay Rum

Hi !
SOTD: Pre: Argan oil / Soap: LEA Stick / Brush: Semogue 1250 / Razor: YINTAL Bronze + Generic DOC head / Blade: BOLZANO Superinox (6#) / Post: Old Spice Original + Mildeen Balm
thumbnail.jpeg

Wednesday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Baker Street
Soap: Stirling Gentleman
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Vintage Schick Plus Platinum (15)
Brush: Stirling Boar-24mmx57mm
Aftershave: Stirling Gentleman w/Menthol

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Stirling Gentleman today. 20 seconds to load the Stirling Boar brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Vintage Schick Plus Platinum still in the Gillette Fat Boy. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Stirling Gentleman aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom