What's new

Just have some questions

I don't actually use straight razors, but I have some questions about a particular one. I have a Puma #52 that belonged to my dad. He was in the Navy for 30 years and served during WWII and the Korean War, and had a lot of overseas time. I'm thinking he got it sometime after WWII.

First, I know it's a German steel straight razor, but besides that I don't know much about it. When doing a search I get returns that reflect a lot of Puma numbers - what do those mean?

The wooden case also has 3 rather old papers in it along with the blade. One is a multi-language sheet that talks about the case, one is multi-language that gives shaving tips and the last one is some kind of guarantee in German and Italian. None of the papers reflect any date/year.

So what's so good about Puma, and what's the difference between a 52, 68, 88, etc.?

Thanks,
Don

Pumas are generally known to be of good quality. The numbers mean different models. Think of it as a car manufacturer offering different models for different tastes. The difference in models may be size, grind, gold wash, etc.

Post some pics and I am sure someone can give you more information regarding your razor.

I really like my Puma razors. The 52 is an early, pre WWII, 6/8 full hollow razor and one of my favourites. The production of it started in the early 1920's when it was sold as Tiger 36 then Lauterjung, the owner family, changed the brand name from Tiger to Puma. The vintage Puma razors are known to hold a very high quality and being heavier and having a "cleaner" design than most Solingen razors. Shave wise you could say that the vintage Puma razors are a sort of hybrid between the best of Solingen and Eskilstuna razors.

So to sum up you inherited a very fine razor from your father. Congratulations to a nice heirloom.

Top Bottom