What's new

R41 experiment with Feather and Astra

When travelling and unable to take one or two of my straights, I use my open comb Mühle with Feather or Astra blades.

In my experience; Feathers cut more effortless while Astras are smoother, but the difference is small and I prefer Feathers by a small margin.

If price was the primary consideration, Astras seem to give more “bang for the buck”.

B.

I have a R41, and just use the baseplate with a Yintal Bronze top cap and titanium handle to give it more grip and weight (87g), pictured here with my Fatip baseplate. This is now a very efficient razor, and my current number one in rotation, so I'm using this to test blades. So far tested:
Astra SP - Close and smooth, great, = Nacet
Nacet - Close and smooth, great, = Astra SP
Rapira PL - smooth but slightly less sharp
7 o'clock Yellow - sharp but not quite so smooth

Both the R41 and the Fatip are good - the R41 a touch more efficient so I'm going with that for now. Sometimes I pull out my Gillette Old Type baseplate plus I have some 6C baseplates on the shelf I haven't tried but which also fit. The titanium handle always stays. Love it!

Fatip Titanium1.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a R41, and just use the baseplate with a Yintal Bronze top cap and titanium handle to give it more grip and weight (87g), pictured here with my Fatip baseplate. This is now a very efficient razor, and my current number one in rotation, so I'm using this to test blades. So far tested:
Astra SP - Close and smooth, great, = Nacet
Nacet - Close and smooth, great, = Astra SP
Rapira PL - smooth but slightly less sharp
7 o'clock Yellow - sharp but not quite so smooth

Both the R41 and the Fatip are good - the R41 a touch more efficient so I'm going with that for now. Sometimes I pull out my Gillette Old Type baseplate plus I have some 6C baseplates on the shelf I haven't tried but which also fit. The titanium handle always stays. Love it!

View attachment 944204

Love that razor!

Hm, all I need now is the Yintal ...

And yeah, one FEELS the blade very specifically and well with R41. It WOULD be a good blade-analysis-razor.

A

I like an Astra in it and a polsilver SI, and a nacet but my fav is the blade i started with, the 7 oclock yellow.
The first time I used a feather with it it got a bit bloody but I’d only been de shaving for a month at the time. I revisited them many moths later and got a great first shave but it died off quickly and I binned it after 2 shaves.

Welcome back @Jakebullet. I have used a Feather in the R41 a few times now. Just does not work for me. I prefer the Astra SP. Plan to try a Voskhod in the R41 soon. The Voskhod works well in my Game Changer, very similar to the Astra SP.

Welcome back @Jakebullet. I have used a Feather in the R41 a few times now. Just does not work for me. I prefer the Astra SP. Plan to try a Voskhod in the R41 soon. The Voskhod works well in my Game Changer, very similar to the Astra SP.
The Voskhod is one of my favs in the R41 not so much the Astra SP and I have many of those. No clue why because I get on with it in many of my razors...

Thanks bdehne nice to be back:)
I’ve been using a straight for the last month or so, but I saw my R41 in the bathroom yesterday and I missed it. What a great shaver that thing is.

Top Bottom