What's new

Best all around soap

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I agree I love Chypre Vert. So are the buying the Jasmine & Civet in Lusso that posted today? I'm not sure I can wrap my head around the scent profile.

No idea what the scent will smell like, but yes I bought it. For my first couple of shaves I'll scoop some soap out of the tub to check out the scent during my shaves, thus keeping the tub fresh enough to pass on if I hate the scent.

If I had to guess about the scent I'd guess I'm going to like it. I think I like jasmine.

Happy shaves,

Jim

A kilo of Cella soap works for me on all points, makes a great fantastic lather, I like the Almond Cherry scent, I supply the bowl. A kilo lasts me two years, more if i'm using other soaps. I keep it wrapped in refrigerator, just cut off a piece as needed.

Tabac

Good container - can lather in it
Good aroma - I hear some don't like it?
Great lather - quick, slick, and works in ANY water
Great life - puck lasts a long time

There are a lot of scents (both natural and synthetic) that smell awful in high concentrations, yet can be attractive when used in minute concentrations. That is why some scents can be so polarizing. Some folks love the aroma of Lilac Vegetal; others think it smells like cat urine. It all depends on the sensitivity of your nose to the musky scent note.

I have not tried any products with Civet, but I imagine the scent would be polarizing. I know that Chiseled Face in conjunction with Zoologist Perfumes has made a couple of soaps containing Civet.

There are a lot of scents (both natural and synthetic) that smell awful in high concentrations, yet can be attractive when used in minute concentrations. That is why some scents can be so polarizing. Some folks love the aroma of Lilac Vegetal; others think it smells like cat urine. It all depends on the sensitivity of your nose to the musky scent note.

I have not tried any products with Civet, but I imagine the scent would be polarizing. I know that Chiseled Face in conjunction with Zoologist Perfumes has made a couple of soaps containing Civet.
The most polarizing thing about Zoologist's Civet it's the fact that many here might find it to lean a bit feminine. I actually can't help but think that it smells like what a 50s Hollywood starlet would have smelled like back in the day. That being said, the civet that Zoologist uses is not natural, but rather a high-quality synthetic. You want REALLY polarizing? Try Zoologist's Hyrax. 100% natural in all of its poopy glory!

Last edited:
Mitchells Woolfat is the best soap I personally have tried, not everyone agrees but for lather and post shave feel it's second to none in my humble opinion.

Mitchells Woolfat is the best soap I personally have tried, not everyone agrees but for lather and post shave feel it's second to none in my humble opinion.

A lot of folks would agree with you, but I am not one of them. The slickness, cushion and post-shave were up there with the top-tier soaps in my den. I have hard water and it took me several shaves to figure out how to build a lather. Lathering took me several times longer with MWF than with my other soaps and the process was a lot different than my other soaps. Since I have so many soaps in rotation, it just did not make sense for me to keep it. I mailed the puck to a friend who won't use anything but MWF. If I used it every day like he does, it would be a great soap.

A lot of folks would agree with you, but I am not one of them. The slickness, cushion and post-shave were up there with the top-tier soaps in my den. I have hard water and it took me several shaves to figure out how to build a lather. Lathering took me several times longer with MWF than with my other soaps and the process was a lot different than my other soaps. Since I have so many soaps in rotation, it just did not make sense for me to keep it. I mailed the puck to a friend who won't use anything but MWF. If I used it every day like he does, it would be a great soap.
I live a couple of of hours away from where MWF is made, probably the same water they use to make it. Perhaps that's why I get such a stellar performance from it. I have the bath soap as well, just as good.

Right now, for me, it's Mike's Natural, orange, pepper,cedar. Nice solid tub, minimalist design labels, nothing esoteric or shaming. Nice hard puck that lasts, and a scent that isn't overwhelming or trying to mimic a perfume (I don't use scents, except I enjoy a mild scent to a shaving soap).

Top Bottom