What's new

Choosing glasses frames

It’s that time again. tomorrow I have to go to the eye doctor. I will need to choose new glasses frames. I hate choosing new frames. You would think it would be easy. I have a round face so I need rectangle frames. I hate the thick frames that are popular now so I get thin frames and I get black. I even know the size I have to get. I have a big melon. The only real choice should be full frame, half frame, or no frame. Easy right? Nope.

I think it is more a mental block than anything. I’ve always hated glasses and I found out a couple years ago that I am allergic to all contacts.

How do you folks go about choosing glasses frames?

I usually stick with classic brands, such as Ralph Lauren or ray-ban. They usually have the “trendy” frames, but always have silver and gold classic styles.

Will they interfere with a respirator/dust mask, will they interfere with a face shield or binocular magnifier, will they stay glued to my head/face when i violently swing my head around?

The style/fashion woman with the beehive hairstyle, how does it stay put, who helps customer's select a suitable stylish frame doesn't think much of my style sense. I absolutely hate wearing glasses, came to them late, i've been so close to pitching them so many times but then i remember i'm still going to need them to shave... after the fog on the lenses dissipates.

Oh yeah, will they be an obstruction while shaving?
dave

I do not wear glasses...I perch them. I want them to magically rest on my nose and the earpiece should stay 1/4 inch above my ears. Wear em to drive, primarily. Finding something is challenging.

Glasses that rest on my ears give me a headache. Heavy glasses do too.

Buying new frames is not something I enjoy. Argh.

Check out Optometrist Attic on the intercyberweb. They have many cool frames to choose from, eh? I have my eye on some Shuron clear 'Sidewinders' from there I wanna throw some transition lenses in the next time I get some frames, rather than going through the 'slim pickings' at the local eye Dr's office here in BC .

Found the Zenni try them on feature. It’s pretty cool.

@davent sounds like you are going to need prescription work glasses. I’ve been think about a pair for the shop.

Most frames you find at your local optical store, despite their stated brand, are made by the same Italian company Luxotica. The markup on the frames is 50-100%.
Here's my strategy. Go to the nicest local eye glasses store, find the frame you like, write down the brand, model #, and size then order on-line and have your optician install the lenses. You can also order the frames from Amazon. Last time I paid a small restocking fee.

Why do you have to replace what you’re using now? I run a primary and back up pair. I’ve relensed both repeatedly, one at a time.

The absolute cheapest route I’ve found is to look on eBay for a specific model I like, and if it’s not available, something similar. I’ve picked up $200 retailed frames for $15-30.

You can find quality name brands that are being unloaded by a vendor who’s bought out an optometrist’s stock.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The thing that annoys me most about choosing glasses, is I don't know what I look like when I put frames on that don't have my prescription in....

Why do you have to replace what you’re using now? I run a primary and back up pair. I’ve relensed both repeatedly, one at a time.

The absolute cheapest route I’ve found is to look on eBay for a specific model I like, and if it’s not available, something similar. I’ve picked up $200 retailed frames for $15-30.

You can find quality name brands that are being unloaded by a vendor who’s bought out an optometrist’s stock.

I need to put them on my face to know whether or not they're going to work, fit my face, see if i look ridiculous in them.

The thing that annoys me most about choosing glasses, is I don't know what I look like when I put frames on that don't have my prescription in....

My optometrist uses an ipad to take your photo with you wearing the frames you're interested in so you can actually see how they look on you.

dave

I feel your pain! I have a big head and my first goal is to find frames wide enough for my face, after that I settle for price and if the missus has anything to say about them.

I need to put them on my face to know whether or not they're going to work, fit my face, see if i look ridiculous in them.

That’s why I said a brand model I like. That I’ve tried on. Then I’ll go shop online to find them cheaper.

my next frames will be my last. I found out that Maui Jim's sunglasses will make clear lenses. they even have a poralize clip on that looks very good.

Successful trip. Thanks to the Zenni try it on app, I had a good idea of what I wanted, and by some grace of god my eye insurance improved so the frames only cost me 40 dollars. It was all the things I have done to them to make them not resemble coke bottles that really cost. What is usually a traumatic experience went well. New year win.

I have the opposite problem. I have a very narrow face, and I can wear a child's bicycle helmet. I usually look in the Kids section first for frames.

Top Bottom