What's new

Choosing glasses frames

That's a good idea. A frame I really liked was retired and I cant get it now. Wish I would have thought of that then.

They are simple aviator style frames. Not very stylish but never "out of style"

proxy.php

Back in the market. This time for prescription sunglasses. I had gotten Revolution frames because the clip-on sunglasses are magnetic and actually stayed on no matter what I did to them. Their QC has gone down hill so much and the prices keep going up that I decided to not get them this time. Thought I could survive without the sunglasses. Now that the sun is climbing higher into the sky there is no way I will survive without them. Especially for driving. I refuse to wear the old man over the glasses sunglasses. I am vain, I admit it.

I do not wear glasses...I perch them. I want them to magically rest on my nose and the earpiece should stay 1/4 inch above my ears. Wear em to drive, primarily. Finding something is challenging.

Glasses that rest on my ears give me a headache. Heavy glasses do too.

Buying new frames is not something I enjoy. Argh.

I like Oakley frames with straight temples for this reason. They are usually coated in rubber and stay in place amazingly well without hooking over the ear.

Polarized lenses make a huge difference in clarity for driving comfort, if you didn't already know. And the brown/Amber tint vs the gray tint seems much better for driving to me.

I’ve always hated glasses and I found out a couple years ago that I am allergic to all contacts.

I hadn't had contacts since the late 90s. I got them recently and thought I was allergic to them. It wasn't the contacts but the cleaning/storing solution/rewetting drops(most likely I'm allergic to the preservatives used in them, my eyes get RED, dry, swollen and start to form a layer of thick mucus that builds up when I blink around my eye and in the corners) . I have to use Clear Care and sterile saline with my contacts. If I used the other stuff on the contacts at all they cause problems but if I only use Clear Care and Saline from the time I open a new set I'm fine.

CLEAR CARE® Contact Lens Solution | ClearCareSolution.com

I hadn't had contacts since the late 90s. I got them recently and thought I was allergic to them. It wasn't the contacts but the cleaning/storing solution/rewetting drops(most likely I'm allergic to the preservatives used in them, my eyes get RED, dry, swollen and start to form a layer of thick mucus that builds up when I blink around my eye and in the corners) . I have to use Clear Care and sterile saline with my contacts. If I used the other stuff on the contacts at all they cause problems but if I only use Clear Care and Saline from the time I open a new set I'm fine.

CLEAR CARE® Contact Lens Solution | ClearCareSolution.com
Tried it. Eye doc said it was very abnormal to be to every combination but I was with everything he had.

Glasses are a cross I must bear.

Still looking for the Raybans... meanwhile ordered a $95 pair of Warby Parker glasses today. They have B & M stores in Michigan.

I went this route, we have plenty of Warby Parker stores in NYC. The guys and gals on the showroom floor are very helpful. Though I may regret this decision because they are too trendy for me.

Went in for this but the color was very different in store
proxy.php

Ended up ordering this

proxy.php

My mistake was having them shipped home instead of to the store. They are going to need adjustments.

When I need new glasses I go to Lester, my optician guy in the next town over.
I have a pretty good idea of what I'd like to get before I go in.
I hand the prescription to Lester, and then he shows me a few frames that are completely different from what I wanted.
The last time, I wanted circular wire frame lenses.
proxy.php

I ended up with a pair that (coincidentally) looks exactly like Anderson Cooper's ...
proxy.php

... and I'm perfectly happy with them.
The same thing has happened to SWMBO a couple of times. She ends up choosing the first pair that Lester has her try on.
The guy knows his stuff.

So the rule in our house is: "Always get what Lester says".

I need a Lester. The gals at the shop here say nothing beyond, "get what looks good." I would not be asking if I knew.

Oh well. I'm plenty happy with the ones I chose. It is the bifocals I am still struggling with.

The woman at my optometrist responsible for helping choose gets exasperated with me because i don't care what they look like, i just want them to work with how i live/work, the style/function conundrum.
dave

Top Bottom