What's new

Choosing glasses frames

I always feel I need someone with me, so ask your GF/SWMBO/friend etc with you for their opinion.
It is hard to have an empty frame on your face, peering into a mirror from inches, trying to form a good impression.

I go for Titanium frames, and pick the ones I like the looks of on my face. I went small the last time and hated it. Next time I'll go larger. BTW, had larger frames when I went to progressive lenses, and had no transition problems at all.

I go for Titanium frames, and pick the ones I like the looks of on my face. I went small the last time and hated it. Next time I'll go larger. BTW, had larger frames when I went to progressive lenses, and had no transition problems at all.

I can’t do transitions. Too much weirdness in the different focus points. People say you get use to it, but I did not relish the thought of being seasick. I went with bifocals.

Eh... a couple days of sea sickness and headaches and you’re through the pain. Even with new scripts, it’s just a first time issue.

I usually go the Costco route. I too only use them for driving. I was cleaning out my car at the car wash after a work trip and did one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done and that’s saying a lot. I had a few pieces of paper, and disposable coffee cups in my hand and apparently my Oakley prescription glasses. A friend snuck up behind me and whaled on the horn. I accidentally threw everything away, glasses included. I didn’t realize it as my sunglasses are prescription as well which I was wearing. Later the next day I tracked down the last time I had them but it was to late. Off to Costco where I got a pair of ray bans with the best lenses they have for $180 out the door.

I am shopping now. Optometrist will upsell me Raybans for $415. Costco has nothing I like. Eyeglass World won't sell one pair. Yada, yada.
Where at in Michigan? I did the Costco in Toledo and they had several different ray ban frames. They keep them in the glass case which I didn’t notice until I was disappointed and ready to walk out.

I am shopping now. Optometrist will upsell me Raybans for $415. Costco has nothing I like. Eyeglass World won't sell one pair. Yada, yada.
Another option is get the model number off the frames you like and purchase them on eBay. I did that about 5 years ago and had the lense put in at Walmart for around $100 with the anti glare and extra thin lense. Then I left them in a rental car in Atlanta. There’s a theme with me and glasses.

Glad you found some glasses you like @natenaaron. Zenni has been my go to for several years now. I've gotten around 10 pairs of glasses there. But it sounds like you found something you liked and got something similar at a local optometrists. You might want to consider getting a back up pair from Zenni for activities where you don't want to risk your regular pair. I've also gotten sun glasses there with polarized lenses for driving.

Let me know how that works out. I get to A2 quite a bit and was gonna check the store out.

Warby Parker has a store downtown Detroit, one in Ann Arbor, one in Troy.

You can shop online, too.

Selection is modest.

Even if you go to a store, they will mail glasses to you.

I do not wear glasses...I perch them. I want them to magically rest on my nose and the earpiece should stay 1/4 inch above my ears. Wear em to drive, primarily. Finding something is challenging.

Glasses that rest on my ears give me a headache. Heavy glasses do too.

Buying new frames is not something I enjoy. Argh.
Me, too! Thought I was the only one that wore them that way!

How do you folks go about choosing glasses frames?

45 years ago I bought 4 sets of frames.

Gemini Europa 6 (West Germany)
Surgical stainless steel.

Just had new lenses put in 2 of them last week

Still have 2 unused sets.

Find something of quality you like.

45 years ago I bought 4 sets of frames.

Gemini Europa 6 (West Germany)
Surgical stainless steel.

Just had new lenses put in 2 of them last week

Still have 2 unused sets.

Find something of quality you like.

That's a good idea. A frame I really liked was retired and I cant get it now. Wish I would have thought of that then.

Found the Zenni try them on feature. It’s pretty cool.

@davent sounds like you are going to need prescription work glasses. I’ve been think about a pair for the shop.

I am a big fan of Zenni. Whether they have a designer name on them or not, the frames are all pretty much the same, so saving a few bucks is always good.

The try them on feature is pretty helpful, for people worried about buying online and not seeing them on them self to scale.

Top Bottom