What's new

Post your local/flea market stone scores. (There's none left. Tim found them all.)

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
So far it’s just been DMT’s, a worn out B-Hone and a cheap Smith’s ark.

View attachment 925545 View attachment 925546 Found this today at a local flea market. When I first saw it I thought thuri, but it feels too dense and something looks off.
Have you lapped the stone yet?
Would be fun to see what it is.

OK, who did it?
Who changed the title?
Who is this Tim and why does he get top billing?

To live up to the title change, some stones from last weekend. Needed to clean the purple stone in a soak of simple green for a few days. When I rescued it, the larger stone was black and covered in funk. It cleaned up good. I Think it is French and the same seller had the wavy Coticule

View attachment 929583 View attachment 929584 View attachment 929585
Would love to have a narrow Coti like that.
Please let us know what you think about the lager stone after use.
And if you lap the "13.5 x 2 inch mystery monster slate" in previous post, please a new picture!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Have you lapped the stone yet?
Would be fun to see what it is.

Would love to have a narrow Coti like that.
Please let us know what you think about the lager stone after use.
And if you lap the "13.5 x 2 inch mystery monster slate" in previous post, please a new picture!

I have lapped the mystery stone. It has some personality to it. Pictures taken in sun and wet. I had to put on a belt sander to get the surface past the divots on the surface. Lapped to 600 grit. I played a little with some steel and it has potential for being a good hone. It is medium hard and not muddy. I will play some more when time will allow. The purple stone has been a joy to use. I feel it is a La Lune, but not sure. It is not as aggressive as a Special Stone but gave up a keen comfortable edge. I like this stone. The Coti is still on my work table looking at me. Have not touched it, YET.

7792DFF5-4EE0-4506-AF4F-5BCE4880C628.jpeg
1ABA14AF-6F64-46C0-8006-0F48C7DBFB75.jpeg
5523AEC0-1FE3-47C5-81A7-6AF2DE2E6F27.jpeg

Wow, beautiful stones, a joy to look at, thank you for the pictures Tim.
The green is extremely beautiful... but so the purple. And being good hone just makes it as good as can be.
Like the wide of the green for razors.

Love 'em. These are the fun ones to find - now you get to play with them and see exactly what they can do. When you buy a known stone you usually have a pretty good idea already. When I was playing with stones more I had a chisel, a knife and a razor set aside just for stones like these. Then I could benchmark the new stone(s) against those of known provenance with the same steel every time.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Lyn Idwal?

It is possible, very possible. It is predominately light olive green color some with blue/gray field. Has swirling and clouds of darker green with small dots and some larger ones. It is 2” wide but a very long 13.5”. That long length gave me some doubt. Lapped, it is very smooth, similar to a surgical black. Using water, it was on the aggressive side but using oil, it mellowed and has good potential. It it is a Llyn Idwal or anything else, it would be a amazing survival story. Found at a Florida flea market in the bottom of a box with hammers and wrenches piled on top. It was beaten up good but not broken in half

@Dcaddo I am getting closer the the CG haha

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Some exceptionally nice stones from the dirt mall. Two Butterscotch’y Trans Arks 7x2x1 and 8x2x1 1/4, nice and thick. The small stone is in he larger box. Has a hand carve souvenir top. Very nice

B75482F9-4E28-4BEE-9EA8-AE45D3A4D3DD.jpeg
0180A929-F32A-4D2A-9BA0-F2F2FF7C5142.jpeg
122E2C8F-A5B0-446A-A3FA-4AA5634DFA3B.jpeg
36743CBC-AF82-43E0-96D8-4B1DADACD0F7.jpeg
177D36CB-22FC-4126-94D6-D4EFCAD0A75F.jpeg

F8D39A2E-C3AC-43E0-A48F-257407A51DED.jpeg
3916A10A-D802-411C-BC09-D2AB42843269.jpeg
I’m home for the holidays and found myself out and about. I popped into a local antique shop and found a very dirty stone. Only thing I could make out on the surface was a few darker “streaks” and the shape and box screamed Charnwood.
At home I had to put it to a belt sander to remove the “glue” that it was caked in. Once cleaned I lapped it flat with sic and finished it up to 600 wet/dry. What a beautiful Charnwood it is.
It’s not quite there and as I’m not at home I don’t have the full means to get it where I want it nor my usual honing solution, however, even finished to 600 it left a very nice edge using dawn and water. Can’t wait to get it home and really test it out.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
View attachment 936801 View attachment 936802 I’m home for the holidays and found myself out and about. I popped into a local antique shop and found a very dirty stone. Only thing I could make out on the surface was a few darker “streaks” and the shape and box screamed Charnwood.
At home I had to put it to a belt sander to remove the “glue” that it was caked in. Once cleaned I lapped it flat with sic and finished it up to 600 wet/dry. What a beautiful Charnwood it is.
It’s not quite there and as I’m not at home I don’t have the full means to get it where I want it nor my usual honing solution, however, even finished to 600 it left a very nice edge using dawn and water. Can’t wait to get it home and really test it out.

Nice score

Nice score
Thanks! This is my second score ever, not many hones appear around my area. This one was apparently found in an 18 something toolbox from England.
Do you have a specific way which helps you identify your finds or do you just roll the dice and see.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Do you have a specific way which helps you identify your finds or do you just roll the dice and see.

Tim just walks by the vendors and they throw Eschers and labeled coticules in his cart.

Nice score on that Charn! I bet that was a pleasant surprise!

Tim just walks by the vendors and they throw Eschers and labeled coticules in his cart.

Nice score on that Charn! I bet that was a pleasant surprise!
I wish I had things thrown at me!

It was definitely a very nice surprise. I put the back of a chisel to it this morning with some oil and the stone just keeps getting better and better.

I have it all wrapped up right now with a foil dam and plastic wrap. I’m going to pour resin over it to make a perfectly moulded Dia to insert back into the original box so the stone will sir nice a level without the need to glue it back in.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks! This is my second score ever, not many hones appear around my area. This one was apparently found in an 18 something toolbox from England.

It is always helpful if they are labeled or marked. If not and after passing on synthetics and carbos, I do a tooth test. I touch a tooth to a stone and some slight movement can tell a lot very quickly. Can tell a 3k from a 8k from a 12k+ even when covered in years of funk. It funny when a dealer thinks I am tasting and they quickly gives me a better price when I tell them a stone has a bad taste. After all is said and done, I still never know until soaked, cleaned or lapped

Top Bottom