What's new

Thoughts on shavete?

Ive read alot of that thread & the opinions seem very hit & miss from what Ive seen?
I think that's because most of those negative or lukewarm opinions are first impressions. The 77-A is a very aggressive shavette with lots of exposure and weight, and takes some getting used to. Initially, I also had trouble with mine (a lot), but really like it now, as does @mjclark

Whaaaaaa? I did not know they took Feather blades also. Would the Antelope blades fit as well?

Its head is long enough to fit a Feather blade but I am not sure if it had another centimeter to accept 6cm Antelope blades. I will check when I get home.;)

While I completely agree with that statement, I think I wasn't clear in my statement. I think it's a lot of money for someone who's "exploring", I.e. wants to try a long blade shavette but doesn't know if he'd like it. For those, the cheapo shavettes are best.

Personally I still prefer the long blade Chinese shavettes, mainly because (a) I prefer the longer blade, and (b) the flexier blade feels and sounds more like a full hollow ground straight. If they made one in Feather SS/DX quality I'd get one because like you, I like quality.
I started to try the Parker heavy shavette, but opted for the Feather after reading where some users wished they had chosen the Feather. I agree it costs more.

Yea I agree with that Rudyt..I personally wasnt willing to drop $90-$200 au on a Feather as my first shavette so the cheaper ones certainly have their place. When you know its something your going to stick with though & your skills improve I couldnt recommend them more:)

Last edited:
Yea I agree with that..I personally wasnt willing to drop $90-$200 on a Feather as my first shavette so the cheaper ones certainly have their place. When you know its something your going to stick with though & your skills improve I couldnt recommend them more:)

I spent $60 for the razor and $12 for the Pro Guard blades on Amazon. I like the way the Feather opens for cleaning and holding the blades. It's so light that it reminds me of my PAA Bakelite slants.

Thats a good price Twelvefret, buying a Feather SS within Australia is a joke..looking at around $200 so much better to buy directly from Japan or Amazon. I love the way they come apart for cleaning to..probably overkill but I dismantle & clean mine after each use (only takes me a minute). Cant wait until the DX arrives:)

I think that's because most of those negative or lukewarm opinions are first impressions. The 77-A is a very aggressive shavette with lots of exposure and weight, and takes some getting used to. Initially, I also had trouble with mine (a lot), but really like it now, as does @mjclark
Absolutely - those cabinet blade shavettes give an exceptional shave.
The blades are stiff like Artist Club but even longer and the Strong Leopard 77 is a formidable razor.

And for some reason DE blade shavettes are often looked down on but there are some real quality ones like the Focus Slim, IBC and Universal Lama Intera.
The thinner blade can give a wickedly efficient shave and really boosts your technique too :)

Most of all shavettes make shaving really really FUN!!

Glad you mentioned the IBC shavettes..does anyone have any experience with one as I was looking at getting one for myself just for something different. How do they hold up over time & how good is the locking mechanism that secures the blade?

Thats a good price Twelvefret, buying a Feather SS within Australia is a joke..looking at around $200 so much better to buy directly from Japan or Amazon. I love the way they come apart for cleaning to..probably overkill but I dismantle & clean mine after each use (only takes me a minute). Cant wait until the DX arrives:)
Oh my. I had no idea they would cost you so much .

Glad you mentioned the IBC shavettes..does anyone have any experience with one as I was looking at getting one for myself just for something different. How do they hold up over time & how good is the locking mechanism that secures the blade?
Yes the IBC is very stylish and a really nice shaving experience.

It will take Artist Club, Injector and half-DE blades and has very good grip,balance and head geometry as well as looking supercool.

But it does have some proper design issues - the longer AC blades touch against the scales when it’s shut.
And the head wobbles slightly with the AC and injector blades.
Also one of the magnets in the head of my IBC came loose after 2 years.

All this is completely forgiveable though because it gives such a good shaving experience and with half-DE blades it’s perfect all the way.

There’s a thread dedicated to the IBC here and it will tell you all you need to know
IBC Shavette first impressions

Yup..no idea why the Feathers are double the price in Australia but thats why I held off getting one for so long until I found them for half the price on ebay directly from Japan. Thanks for the info on your IBC mjclark

I think I'll go with feather ss.. And if I don't like it easy to sell. Thanks for all the comments and opinions

I think I'll go with feather ss.. And if I don't like it easy to sell. Thanks for all the comments and opinions
Good choice and an excellent way in to shavette shaving.
If you like the SS then you can up your game with the DX or break sideways into the weird and wacky world of Universal, Weck, Hess, Tondeo, Strong Leopard and the rest...
...once it’s clicked, shavette shaving will give you exceptionally smart, completely irritation-free shaves which are lots of fun and a great pleasure to execute.
They will teach you excellent technique and the importance of good prep and will also make all your shaves afterwards better than you could ever have imagined.

Good choice and an excellent way in to shavette shaving.
If you like the SS then you can up your game with the DX or break sideways into the weird and wacky world of Universal, Weck, Hess, Tondeo, Strong Leopard and the rest...
...once it’s clicked, shavette shaving will give you exceptionally smart, completely irritation-free shaves which are lots of fun and a great pleasure to execute.
They will teach you excellent technique and the importance of good prep and will also make all your shaves afterwards better than you could ever have imagined.
As I said before.. I'm using Parker srw shavette for 2 years now on daily basis..

As I said before.. I'm using Parker srw shavette for 2 years now on daily basis..
Oh yes - sorry I just got carried away on a wave of shavette love there!
So ha ha you know most of what I just said already...
... but it will be fun to explore the other blade formats.

If you have good shaves with the Parker then your technique is probably excellent already and the SS will be a walk in the park :)

Oh my. I had no idea they would cost you so much .

Yup..no idea why the Feathers are double the price in Australia but thats why I held off getting one for so long until I found them for half the price on ebay directly from Japan. Thanks for the info on your IBC mjclark

Yep. The good old ‘Australia Tax’. Everything costs extra over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do think you will be pleased. I found it to be nimble if kept in the fingers. That sure helps getting around hard to shave areas.

Top Bottom