What's new

correct way to use TOBS SHAVE CREAM

Do you guts prefer loading inside the tub or taking an almond size of cream out and putting it on the brush? which way is better in your opinion?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I load from the tub. I have so much soap and cream i feel i can splurge. The only limitation is using too much where my razor clogs.

Usually, I would load in the tub and then either build lather in a bowl, or directly on my face.

Just for fun, I’ve also *super lathered* using TOBS and the Arko Stick. I rubbed the Arko Stick on my face, then dipped my finger into the TOBS tub and smeared a very little bit on both cheeks. Then used the brush. Basically, just used the TOBS for the great smell!

Taylor of Old Bond Street is the shaving cream that I have had the most experience using. I always loaded it from the container and lathered it in there. The consistency back then was a bit on the firm side but it did seem to vary from container to container. I did manage to pick up a few containers on a trip to the U.K. which were about $5.00 a piece at the time which was a good price but that was back in the 90's... still the containers don't seem to have changed at all in the past 30 years so I would still load from the container! HTH! :)

I ve been lathering from the tub with fsntastic results bur felt i was going through it too quickly so started using a bowl. I really like the shave tho and may go back to the tub. Either way.. Love the stuff. (MWF is my other soap)

I saw a video from one of TOBS close competitors (geographically and economically) where they took a quantity of cream (I believe the accepted term is snurdle...?) using a finger and basically smeared it on to the lower half of the face before lathering with damp brush

Tried it myself and it works pretty well, I now do this most of the time with most creams. Anyone else do this way?

Edit
Just read the previous post which said much the same

Tried it myself and it works pretty well, I now do this most of the time with most creams. Anyone else do this way?

I've always done this with all of my creams and never had an issue.
As long as you soak your brush before it should work perfectly.

Apply to face, one way or another, scrape off with a sharp blade ... or 2, or 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a small amount on my finger then put it on the brush. I think you would be wasting a lot if you load it from the tub. I just can't see wasting it.

Load from tub whenever possible. TOBS is soft enough that usually with a damp brush and a firm dip into the tub, you load plenty for 3+ passes.

No correct way. For the tubs i've had i just dip with the damp brush from the tub and face lather. For cream in a tube i squirt a bit on my chin then face lather so back to the tub you could scoop a bit with a finger apply it to your face and face lather or apply it to the brush then face lather or bowl lather.

Do whatever is most convenient, end result should be identical.
dave

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I usually use soap, but when I use cream I use a silver butter knife that belonged to my mother-in-law and put a dollop in a scuttle for building lather. While it hardly matters how you build your lather, I find this method the most efficient for consistently using the correct amount of product.

Top Bottom