What's new

correct way to use TOBS SHAVE CREAM

I prefer the tub, my next choice would be to use my finger and apply the cream to my face, my next choice would be to scoop up to produce lather in my scuttle, and my last choice would be to use my finger to smear the cream into my brush, which is the only method I have some reservations about.

I honestly believe the is no “right” or “wrong” way and shavers should use the method that suits them best and achieves the desired results.

B.

I find that I can't go through my creams fast enough. Lost about 25% of a tube of proraso as it got hard waiting to get used. So now, soap or cream, I load generously. Acquire enough different ones to try and you'll worry a lot less about how little to use, but rather enjoy how much you get to try new things because you've run out of the old stuff!

I find that creams don't do as well for me as soaps so I put the cream on the Williams puck and beat that rascal like it owes me money. I'm going to get my 69 cents worth. I need my money for drinkin'.

Smear onto face and start scrubbing here. Harder creams get loaded from the tub. I always use too much! I love it.

I've never understood the concept of loading a cream straight from the container. That's just going to add water to the cream and trap bacteria, since creams don't get to dry in between uses like soaps.

I've never understood the concept of loading a cream straight from the container. That's just going to add water to the cream and trap bacteria, since creams don't get to dry in between uses like soaps.
I suppose, depending on how you treat your gear/software. My tub lasted over 3 years doing it that way, the only issue was at the end - the soap donut starting to dry up. That was it.

I don't think there is one correct way. I usually scoop out an almond size glob and apply it to a wet brush, then face lather. I try to keep excess water out of my tub creams.

I believe the accepted term is snurdle...?
I get a cracking good shave if I take my snurdle of TOBS, as an aside their grapefruit is the dog's bollocks, smear it in the mug and with a well wetted brush bob's your uncle I've whipped up a nice thick lather.

You're a numpty if you tub lather......kidding of course, I was just looking for an excuse to use numpty in a post.

Tub for me to. I soak my brush first while I have a shower then shake most of the water out before loading the brush & have never had any free standing/excess water in my cream containers.

I never load from the tub. I think you would go through way too much product that way.

I take an almond-sized blob on my finger and wipe it onto the wet brush. Then I work up the lather in my scuttle. I end up with a scuttle full of warm lather and a loaded brush, which is plenty for a four-pass shave.

I've fairly new at this but I've been loading an almond onto a shaked wet brush. When face lathering do you repeat the same process for each pass, or does the initial lather give you enough for multiple passes?

I've fairly new at this but I've been loading an almond onto a shaked wet brush. When face lathering do you repeat the same process for each pass, or does the initial lather give you enough for multiple passes?
I load the brush directly from the tub and it usually gives me enough for 2 passes and then I lightly flick the brush over the tub for the last pass.

If you do it right, I don't think going directly from the tub uses too much. If you use too much then you are using too much. If you don't, you are not. :) Like anything, it requires some trial and error. It doesn't really leave excess water in the tub either unless your brush is too wet to begin with.

I warm my bowl in hot water while soaking my brush. Adding an almond sized dollop of the TOBS cream gets me enough luxurious warm foam for nearly four passes if i needed it. And its stays warm. ☺

Smoosh the wet brush around in the container, move to bowl...one of those Turkish copper things. Whip it like a Devo video.

Maybe, but I am 10+ years into using some DR Harris Lavender cream which was always loaded from the container using a badger brush (though using a dry brush, or at least a brush that I do not wet beforehand), and I have not seen any problems. I am close enough to the bottom of the container that I should stick to using it and finish it off. It still lathers and smells nice after all these years.

Top Bottom