What's new

.45-70 musings

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I wouldn't mind a .45-70, but.

Saw this WINCHESTER 1885 TRAPPER 45-70 and hesitated.

CDNN SPORTS - WINCHESTER 1885 TRAPPER 45-70

16.5" barrel.

6 pounds.

Steel buttplate (I assume. Could be plastic).

I am guessing this rifle kicks some ... it might even have some muzzle flash!

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't have a .45-70, after all.

AA :001_tongu

I have mentioned this once before in this section of B&B. I have a friend who has a 45-70. It kicks like a mule. It was fun to shoot, but I wouldn't want to spend much time with it on the range, so it isn't for me. I would try to find one that you can shoot before investing the funds into purchasing one.

Sent via Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I'm fairly sure that one will light the forest on fire with its flash.

I enjoy shooting Mosin-Nagant M44/M38s, but that's *only* a puny 7.62x54r round. Much less recoil, I imagine.

Seriously, that carbine would bite on both ends. Hard.

If I ever got the fine Marlin lever in .45-70, I'd load it waaaaaaaay down.

AA

I have 5 45-70 rifles. One single shot is a Browning 1885 BPCR (black powder cartridge rifle). It has a 30" half octagon half round barrel, 1"diameter at the muzzle, tall verinier sight, aka Quigley Down Under style, weighing in at 12 lbs. The first time I shot it, was after a long dry spell of shooting high power rifles. I was using a 565 gr Lyman/Postell long range cast bullet over whatever charge of black powder would fit with bullet, overpowder wad and lube wad seated. Proper way to load black powder is a quantity sufficient to allow some compression. Even as heavy as it was the kick still hurt, it took a few outings to toughen my shoulder back up to handle it.

Three are all fairly recent Marlin's, one a standard 1895, a ported barrel Guide Gun, the other a 1895 Cowboy with a 26" tapered octagon barrel. They all kick hard, the Cowboy with that rather lightweight barrel really gives a pounding unless loads are very light.

The last is a Winchester 1886 takedown, with a 26" heavy octagon barrel. The weight helps, but don't try shooting it off a bench as it has crescent buttplate, that will eat your shoulder.

Most reloading manuals show three levels of loads, first is the weakest intended for use in the orginal Model 1873 Trapdoor Springfield rifles, next is an intermediate level for strong lever actions as the Marlins and modern 1886 Winchester reproductions. Last are the heavy loads intended for very strong single shots like the Ruger #1, and Winchester/Browning 1885 rifles and some like conversions of large Mauser bolt actions. Those loads are kicking hard on the heels of the .458 Winchester magnum and deliver plenty of energy on both ends of the gun.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
And out of a six-pound rifle with 16" bbl ... probably going to pass. Pretty gun, though. It'd look reeeal good up on the wall. :001_unsur

Closest thing I have in-stable is the CVA Optima .50, with .45-cal sabots; shoots my cast .451s at a decent speed. And minimal recoil!

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have a TC Encore Katadin carbine in .45-70. Shooting from the bench it is vicious! Offhand is not much fun either after a handful of rounds. I would love a couple of Marlin lever actions in .45-70, the Guide gun and the Cowboy.

I have a couple 45-70s, A Taylor Sharps 1874, and a Winchester 1885 (mg ~2000). The 1885 is a very fine shooter, nice trigger, good sights. The 1874 is a workhorse. Set trigger is sweet, heavy (10 lb+) helps with extended bench time. Prefer the 1885 for mobile SASS type shooting, the 1874 is better with a bench or cross sticks. Both shoot better than I am capable.

1874.jpg

1885.jpg

I have one in a Ruger No 1.

Lots of fun, can load it down to 44 Magnum levels up to almost 458 Magnum so it hurts only as much as you want it to.

I haven't noticed any particular issues with muzzle flash. Uses powder on the fast end of the spectrum.

Brother has the 444 marlin. It’s awesome but does kick. It’s more of a sight it in for hunting and put it away gun.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Two interesting things about its ammo- they made a "forager" shotshell round for the thing, still an intriguing idea. I load Speer .45 Colt shotshells for my Ruger single action. Same capsule might work, though a tad small.

Which leads to the other thing: as a caster, I already have numerous .451 molds. .45-70 is .458, yet I read people used paper patching and .451s to avoid leading. Interesting. As I don't hunt buffalo, I'd be loading it way down, anyways.

AA

I have an old Lyman 457130 "collar button" mold that throws a 145 gr round nose bullet for the 45-70, or other similar cartridges. It has a slightly conical rounded nose, flat base and one huge grease groove. It makes a good short range plinking bullet, with almost no recoil. My sister had a hoot shooting my BPRC using that bullet.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My nephew shoots one of these.

70478_1895SBL_Right.png

I dont remember his load, but its a hard cast flat nose lead at, I think, 1950fps. I dont know which would be worse, that 45/70 or the 9lb Sako .338 Lapua Magnum I had, that he also now has.

A full house 45/70 load isnt 'fun' to shoot. In a 6lb, 16 1/2" barreled rifle with no recoil pad? LOL

I'm not sure which would come first., deafness or blindness, but I doubt you'd notice either from the pain lol.

I'd rather soak up the recoil from the Lapua and a 230 grain Winchester Fail Safe at 3150 lol.

A friend had a pair of Whitworth Express bolt rifles. One in .375H&H and one in .458 Win Mag. I shot his .458 quite a bit and the recoil from it wasnt any worse to me than a 12g slug from a pump gun. Nice pair of rifles those were.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A full house 45/70 load isnt 'fun' to shoot. In a 6lb, 16 1/2" barreled rifle with no recoil pad? LOL

I'm not sure which would come first., deafness or blindness, but I doubt you'd notice either from the pain lol.

Ah. :a14: If they gave that rifle to me, I'd craft some mousefart/gallery loads.

I do shoot 8mm, .30-06, 303 Brit, 7.7 Arisaka and others with a steel butt plate ... and one of those LIMBSAVERS ... and sometimes my jacket wadded up underneath, too.

AA

Top Bottom