What's new

Above the Tie Copper Windsor!!!

675B419D-1A7C-43BC-A08E-BDC01863D383.jpeg 07ABA8B8-8013-4A1D-B2E6-F1E9B6F21456.jpeg 772BD3E1-572E-488F-8D1E-9392DB127AF3.jpeg CD9C1374-29CB-4B1E-AB53-A4CEEC90BE98.jpeg A773960A-346E-4954-B6C4-8ADB371E8827.jpeg E76FC727-7762-4C3C-915A-6587E067263B.jpeg My 2nd addition to go with my Timeless! Absolutely beautiful!!!

Just got my H plate for my copper Windsor gonna give it a test tonight. Congrats on yours it is a beautiful razor

Someone's been spending a lot recently. :D :D

Looks great, I was debating one for a while, but no copper handle in longer Colossus handle, so if I ever get one it'll be SS Windsor with that handle and H1 plate.

Congrats, looks great.

Looks great, I was debating one for a while, but no copper handle in longer Colossus handle, so if I ever get one it'll be SS Windsor with that handle and H1 plate.

Congrats, looks great.

I really like the approach of ATT with their mixed metal options. The Colossus handle might pair well with the other Windsor parts, copper or SS.

Congrats, looks great.
Ha ha! Yes, I have been on a high end razor kick. Thank goodness Wolfmans aren’t readily available! LOL!

I really like the approach of ATT with their mixed metal options. The Colossus handle might pair well with the other Windsor parts, copper or SS.

Yeah I looked at those, but not for me, I've been called a bit of a... uh... let's go with "detail oriented" - (trying to avoid "OCD" or worse "compliments" I was given. So it has to be same material for me.

Ha ha! Yes, I have been on a high end razor kick. Thank goodness Wolfmans aren’t readily available! LOL!

Curious how these compare, my guess is both excellent.
I'm aiming for H plate as I like a bit more blade feel which .95 gives me (while still being super smooth).
Recently I think it's the vice like grip resulting in lack of blade vibration that's making these razors so smooth, rather than the head design or the blade gap.

First shave with the H plate in my copper Windsor. More blade feel but very smooth 3 pass bbs with no nicks,cuts, or irritation. I’m glad I moved up the aggression it gave a great shave

Yeah I looked at those, but not for me, I've been called a bit of a... uh... let's go with "detail oriented" - (trying to avoid "OCD" or worse "compliments" I was given. So it has to be same material for me.

Curious how these compare, my guess is both excellent.
I'm aiming for H plate as I like a bit more blade feel which .95 gives me (while still being super smooth).
Recently I think it's the vice like grip resulting in lack of blade vibration that's making these razors so smooth, rather than the head design or the blade gap.
@Bbb34 I think you are correct on the smoothness related to lack of blade vibration. My other razors due skip some every once and awhile causing a little bit of irritation. I due think the heaviness and design have a little bit to due with it as well but the vice grip is probably the biggest factor.

@Bbb34 I think you are correct on the smoothness related to lack of blade vibration. My other razors due skip some every once and awhile causing a little bit of irritation. I due think the heaviness and design have a little bit to due with it as well but the vice grip is probably the biggest factor.
@Bbb34 I also think the smoothness especially in the Timeless is related to the top cap that has 2 notches on the side that locks the razor blade in the perfect place every time and there is no misalignment of the razor blade.

@discerningbev and others that have Timeless .68 and ATT Windsor. Once you have had a chance to shave with both, could you provide a comparison. I am contemplating both as potentials for my next razor and any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I currently use a Rockwell 6S and, from time to time, both a Feather AS-D2 and EJ DE89. When I shave with my 6S, I use plates R2 through R6.

@Bbb34 I also think the smoothness especially in the Timeless is related to the top cap that has 2 notches on the side that locks the razor blade in the perfect place every time and there is no misalignment of the razor blade.

I have traveled a bit recently and that's when I use my old Merkur 38C razor, and even though I used same (fresh) blades as I do in Timeless, the difference is far greater than I seem to recall when I first switched to Timeless. Even when I had the chance to try Merkur Progress, which has similar head design to Timeless, while smooth, it just wasn't quite as efficient for me, that's what made me think about importance of perfect alignment, blade hold and no vibration.

Windsor is apparently the best out of Above the Tie lineup when it comes to how well it holds the blade, due to slightly wider head design, so I'm curious to hear your take on this.

@discerningbev and others that have Timeless .68 and ATT Windsor. Once you have had a chance to shave with both, could you provide a comparison. I am contemplating both as potentials for my next razor and any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I currently use a Rockwell 6S and, from time to time, both a Feather AS-D2 and EJ DE89. When I shave with my 6S, I use plates R2 through R6.
Yes sir! Will do! I will shave with the Windsor on Saturday. Because I get such a close shave with DE razors I only need to shave every other day. I will use a same brand new Astra Blade and Declaration Grooming soap that I used for the Timeless as well.

I have traveled a bit recently and that's when I use my old Merkur 38C razor, and even though I used same (fresh) blades as I do in Timeless, the difference is far greater than I seem to recall when I first switched to Timeless. Even when I had the chance to try Merkur Progress, which has similar head design to Timeless, while smooth, it just wasn't quite as efficient for me, that's what made me think about importance of perfect alignment, blade hold and no vibration.

Windsor is apparently the best out of Above the Tie lineup when it comes to how well it holds the blade, due to slightly wider head design, so I'm curious to hear your take on this.
I haven't shaved with the Windsor yet but loading a fresh blade into it I can tell you it does lock it down tight but I don't think it has the perfect blade alignment like the Timeless. The notches on the top don't seem to secure the placement of the blade as good. Also the blade exposure on the Timeless is much more than the Windsor. I will shave with the Windsor on Saturday to compare the performances.

I haven't shaved with the Windsor yet but loading a fresh blade into it I can tell you it does lock it down tight but I don't think it has the perfect blade alignment like the Timeless. The notches on the top don't seem to secure the placement of the blade as good. Also the blade exposure on the Timeless is much more than the Windsor. I will shave with the Windsor on Saturday to compare the performances.

Interesting info, do let us know how it goes, from what I read elsewhere they are both excellent, but am looking forward to your impression.

As for blade exposure, you just confirmed my decision to go for H1 if I ever decide to get one.
I've been using Timeless .68 all week (most of the time I use .95) and while it's great and still fairly efficient, it always reminds me that I prefer more blade feel and efficiency of .95. For me there's no sacrifice in smoothness as I find .95 is still not what I would consider to be aggressive razor.

That copper Windsor is gorgeous! I’m primarily a vintage fan, but that inspires some modern razor lust!

Definitely looking forward to the comparison. I haven’t used a Timeless, but a friend here has offered to loan me one to try.

Top Bottom