What's new

Mustache wax review thread

The number of mustache waxes available in the marketplace is growing. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread where we could post our various trials and errors and successes with our mustache wax purchases. Generally I judge my waxes based on the following criteria (if I have missed something then please let me know):

1. Price
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container
3. Ease of application
4. Fragrance
5. Holding power
6. Lasting power
7. Colour (or color if your prefer an alternate spelling).

I look forward to reading your reviews.

I thought I should get the ball rolling with a review of a fine wax that I use frequently. Disclaimer-- I have no connection to Badger Mustache Wax company...I don't even own a badger!

Badger Mustache Wax

1. Price is around $12-$15 dollars for a 21g / .75 oz can. Reasonable in my view. Rating: 4 out of 5.
2. The can is quite attractive (nice artwork) and contents are easy to access with a simple twisting motion. Rating: 5 out of 5.
3. Ease of application - I apply my wax using a scraping motion with my thumbnail. The wax is soft at room temperature. I find it very easy to apply and comb through my mustache. Rating: 4 out of 5.
4. Fragrance - not quite scent free, a mild beeswax scent with a hint of bergamot, vanilla and myrrh. I find it a pleasant scent to wear under my nose. Rating: 5 out of 5.
5. Holding power is somewhat determined by how much I apply. It is described on the can as being a medium hold wax. I generally seek medium holding power without it appearing as if I am wearing a thick application. It does not hold the rounded tips of a full handlebar. Rating: 3 out of 5.
6. Lasting power is probably its weakest point. I find by mid-day I need to reapply a bit to reestablish my desired shape. Rating: 2 out of 5.
7. Colour: it is a beeswax colour but when I apply it to my mustache which is pure white it does not discolour it at all. I consider this a plus. Rating: 5 out of 5.

Overall: 4.5 out of 5.

This is a fine wax if you are not seeking too much hold for a curled handlebar. It's lasting power is not the greatest, but an occasional refreshing during the day is not too inconvenient. Having said that, I use Badger mustache wax daily for the main body of my 'stache in tandem with a stronger holding wax for my handlebars to keep their shape. A great product, a great buy.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cool thread. I have a tin of the Badger as well, and I agree on pretty much all your conclusions, though I get more like a 3 out of 5 for lasting power. That could be due to simply having a stache that generally holds shape anyways with almost no product of any kind in it most times. I got lucky in that genetics department is all.

strop

Now half as wise
I really wanted to like this one, but sadly had to rate it's hold at 2/5 and lasting power at 1/5. If I applied enough to work, the it looked like I put it on with a trowel, and in that amount it did discolor my white stache. I ended up using it as a base, and added more beeswax to get it to work.

i am surprised i really thought this was one of the worst i have tried i will go see if i still have it and try again. to me it smelled like carmex lip balm and held about as well. i thought their shaving soap was so bad it used it up quickly in the shower as a body soap. i will go try to give it another shot and report back.

ok i tried it for the last 2 hours and it does melt easily in your fingers and is easy enough to apply, but once in if feel more like a beard balm and for me has very little hold. i can say for sure that with my curly whiskers it does nothing, but with straight hair it does help hold them together. today i had used a straitening iron so with a lot of badger wax it held things together a bit, but i could not shape it in any way. i can say although the scent does remind me of carmex it does not smell bad. after 2 hours i would say the lasting power was very low. the tips still held together but everything else just kind of fell apart.. however it still felt a bit oily.
if you need just a little bit of hold to keep everything from being frizzy then maybe.... as we can see "your mileage may vary". for me i can see why i put it away, however for some it seems to be fine.

i am glad to have tried it again because of this thread, but will also be glad to put it away again.

My second wax review is "Groom Moustache Wax". This is made by a company located in Montreal, Quebec. Disclaimer: I have no connection to the Groom Moustache Wax company.

1. Price: This can be found for prices ranging from $19 to $24. This is for a 15 ml /0.5 fl oz. I consider this reasonable for this product. Rating 4 out of 5
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container. The artwork on the container is a minimalist design. Not the greatest, but pleasing nonetheless. The container is a tin with a twist-to-open design. Rating: 4.5 out of 5
3. Ease of application: This product is hard at room temperature. I scrape some using my thumbnail and apply to my mustache and then comb. It is a firm hold wax and the hardness of the wax reflects this. You can also apply easily to a handlebar to establish the desired shape. I find it easy to apply. Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
4. Fragrance: A spruce scent, not overpowering. Quite pleasant. Rating: 5 out of 5
5. Holding power: Firm hold. I use this wax on unruly whiskers and on the tips of my handlebars. Holding power is good. Rating: 5 out of 5.
6. Lasting power: Reasonable. It won't last all day, but it should only require a touch-up late in the day. Rating: 4 out of 5.
7. Colour: It is the colour of beeswax and does not discolor my white whiskers. Rating: 5 out of 5.

Overall Rating: 4.5 out of 5. I like this product. It is a firm hold wax. Reasonable price, it applies easily, holding power is good, scent is pleasing, lasting power is typical for a firm hold wax. As usual, YMMV!
Groom 1.jpg

Groom 2.jpg

My third wax review is Proraso Mustache Wax...made by Proraso. Disclaimer: I have no connection to Proraso.
Proraso Mustache Wax.jpg

1. Price: This can be found for prices ranging from $12 to $20. This is for a 15 ml /0.5 fl oz. I consider this reasonable for this product. Rating 4 out of 5.
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container. This is in a small glass or hard plastic jar with a screw lid. I find the opening of the jar a bit small for my finger. Rating: 4 out of 5
3. Ease of application: This product is hard to describe. I don't actually consider this a wax, but rather a hard pomade (it is white like their pre/post shave cream and a similar consistency). It is soft to apply at room temperature. I scrape some using my thumbnail and apply to my mustache and then comb it in. It goes on soft but firms up as it dries. You can also apply easily to a handlebar to establish the desired shape. I find it easy to apply. Rating: 4.5 out of 5.
4. Fragrance: Not sure how to describe the scent...it is similar to some of the newer Proraso products. I don't find it a pleasant scent...and it does last quite a long time. If you are sensitive to scents, then it may not be a good choice. I prefer an unscented wax to wear under my nose all day. The website says, " Moustache Wax is enriched with beeswax to condition and eucalyptus oil and Mediterranean citrus to leave a fresh scent." Rating: 3 out of 5
5. Holding power: Firm hold. I use this wax on unruly whiskers and on the tips of my handlebars. Holding power is good, but it requires a fair bit of product to hold my whiskers in place.. Rating: 5 out of 5.
6. Lasting power: Reasonable....if you don't get it wet. If you get it wet it goes soft. Careful eating soup or other sloppy items. If you need to re-apply during the day...because it gets firm on the mustache after the initial application you really need to wet it to soften it and then apply more if necessary. This, in my view is a definite negative. Rating: 3 out of 5.
7. Colour: It is white in colour similar to their pre/post shave creams. Because it is white it does not discolour white whiskers. For the most part it dries clear. Rating: 5 out of 5.

Overall Rating: 4.0 out of 5. In general I like this product, though I wear it infrequently because of the strong scent. I would not call it a wax...in the beeswax kind of way. It is a firm hold product....but don't get it wet after initial application. Reasonable price, it applies easily, holding power is good, scent is strong (not to my preference), lasting power is typical for a firm hold product. The product will dry over time in the jar. As usual, YMMV!!

I have this one, and in the jar the consistency was more cream like, not even firm enough to "scrape". I dip my finger in, get some on it, and apply it. It hardens up pretty solid and fast once applied, for me. Definitely a firm hold product.

Excellent idea for a thread!
I've tried a few different brands of moustache wax (T&H, Trumper's, Edwin Jagger, Captain Fawcett) but Truefitt & Hill would be my Number 1.
1. Price - $25 to $30 but can be found on sale occasionally.
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container - discreet glass jar with screw cap, very practical.
3. Ease of application - softens in fingers easily and applies better than other waxes in my experience.
4. Fragrance - very subtle and pleasant, described by T&H as "Grapefruit, Mandarin and Bergamot".
5. Holding power - I would say medium hold, which may not be enough for a larger mou but suits me. I mainly use to provide some shape and hold for styling with my comb.
6. Lasting power - lasts a good few hours I find. keeps my mou in shape and stray hairs in form with occasional comb throughout the day.
7. Colour (or color if your prefer an alternate spelling). - pale beeswax, but blends in and I never notice any colour change to my dark mou hair.

T&Hwax.jpg
T&Hwax.jpg.

Excellent idea for a thread!
I've tried a few different brands of moustache wax (T&H, Trumper's, Edwin Jagger, Captain Fawcett) but Truefitt & Hill would be my Number 1.
1. Price - $25 to $30 but can be found on sale occasionally.
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container - discreet glass jar with screw cap, very practical.
3. Ease of application - softens in fingers easily and applies better than other waxes in my experience.
4. Fragrance - very subtle and pleasant, described by T&H as "Grapefruit, Mandarin and Bergamot".
5. Holding power - I would say medium hold, which may not be enough for a larger mou but suits me. I mainly use to provide some shape and hold for styling with my comb.
6. Lasting power - lasts a good few hours I find. keeps my mou in shape and stray hairs in form with occasional comb throughout the day.
7. Colour (or color if your prefer an alternate spelling). - pale beeswax, but blends in and I never notice any colour change to my dark mou hair.

View attachment 853678 View attachment 853678.
Nice review...I must find a place that stocks this product and place an order. I always enjoy trying new moustache waxes. Is it possible I have developed a moustache wax acquisition disorder (MWAD)?

The next moustache wax I will review is made by Taylor of Old Bond Street. I have no connection to TOBS...other than I confess I really like their shaving creams!
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

1. Price: the price of this product was around $20 for 30ml or 1.06 oz. reasonable. Rating: 5 out of 5
2. Attractiveness and practicals of the container: the tin has a screw top lid which I really like and the graphics are nice. Rating 5 out of 5.
3. Ease of application: I scrape my waxes with my thumbnail and wipe on my moustache and then comb it through and shape my handlebars. This product however should not be called a wax because I has the consistency of a firm hand lotion or balm. It goes on easy for that reason. Rating: 5 out of 5.
4. Fragrance:Ever so faint scent. In my books, that is just fine. Rating 5 out of 5.
5. Holding power: None, because it has very little "wax consistency". It should, in my view be more appropriately labeled a balm and not a wax. It has a certain conditioning quality, but absolutely no holding power. The ingredients show the first ingredient is petroleum...I am assuming they mean something like petroleum jelly like Vaseline with no scent (indeed it has a similar consistency). I often wear it on weekends when I don't care to build my handlebars. I apply this product to condition the whiskers. Rating: 0 out of 5.
6. Lasting power: Again, because it is more of a balm and has no holding power it also has no lasting power. Rating: 0 out of 5.
7. Colour (or color if your prefer an alternate spelling). It has an opaque white colour. It blends in perfectly with my white whiskers. Rating: 5 out of 5.

I really had high hopes for this product when I ordered it because I am a big TOBS fan, but alas I was very disappointed,mostly because it had no holding power...and I need this for maintaining my handlebars. It does, however, provide some conditioning qualities. I wonder if I got a bad batch?
Overall rating: 3.57 out of 5.

Lucky Tiger Moustache Wax

I have no conflict of interest to declare…other than I am a big fan of Lucky Tiger AS Splash!
1. Price for a tin is around $15-$20 dollars for a 1.4 oz./40g can. Reasonable in my view. Rating: 4 out of 5.
LT1.jpg
LT2.jpg

2. The can is quite attractive (nice old school artwork) and contents are easy to access with a screw-top lid. The can is larger than most moustache wax tins. A nice feature in my view. Rating: 5 out of 5.
3. Ease of application - I apply my wax using a scraping motion with my thumbnail. This wax is very soft at room temperature. Indeed, I would not call it a wax but more of a firm gel. I find it very easy to apply and comb through my moustache. Rating: 4 out of 5.
4. Fragrance – Scent free. Perfect for my nose. Rating: 5 out of 5.
5. Holding power. I would not call this a firm hold wax but rather a mild to medium hold. It goes on soft and then firms up over a matter of minutes to create a firmness similar to a pomade. I generally seek medium holding power without it appearing as if I am wearing a thick application. It does not hold the rounded tips of a full handlebar. Rating: 3 out of 5.
6. Lasting power. Oddly enough, for a mild holding wax a single application seems to last me throughout most of the day. Though if it gets wet you need to reapply. I can reapply during the day if need be. Rating: 3 out of 5.
7. Colour: The label says neutral and that is exactly correct. It has the same neutral colour as Vaseline. When I apply it to my moustache (which is pure white) it does not discolour it at all. I consider this a plus. Rating: 5 out of 5.
Overall: 4.1 out of 5.

This is a fine product if you are not seeking a super-firm hold for a curled handlebar. It's softness in the can firms up nicely on application and seems to hold through the day. The ingredients list indicates there are ingredients (cocoa butter and lanolin) to condition the whiskers. I have been using this wax daily for a couple of weeks now and I am surprised how much I have grown to like it. Overall, I consider this a great product, a great buy. And apparently if the label is correct one should buy a lottery ticket when you wear it because they say, "Look good, get lucky". I think that's what they mean?

This is a very good thread with useful information. At this time I use five products for my mustache, two purpose made mustache waxes, and three pomades. I will review them all.

Captain Fawcett’s
proxy.php

I use both the lavender and the sandalwood versions.
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price is very high when compared to the pomades. A ½ ounce jar is $24.00 Cdn. Rating: 2 /5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The jar will fit in to a pocket nicely. Straight forward label, as the jar is small.
upload_2018-2-8_9-40-48.jpegupload_2018-2-8_9-41-52.jpeg
3. Ease of application: The product is medium firmness. It is easy to scrape up with your fingernail. However you should make sure that your hands and fingers are warm, so that you can readily work it into you mustache. Rating: 4/5
4. Fragrance: Both of the versions have a nice fragrance (lavender and an earthy sandalwood respectively). The scents dissipate after a short time. Rating: 5/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a waxy product it has good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape most of the day with only occasional reshaping towards the end of the day. Rating: 4/5
6. Colour: The product is pale yellow, but does not colour my light mustache. Rating: 5/5

This is a very good thread with useful information. At this time I use five products for my mustache, two purpose made mustache waxes, and three pomades. I will review them all.

Captain Fawcett’s
proxy.php

I use both the lavender and the sandalwood versions.
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price is very high when compared to the pomades. A ½ ounce jar is $24.00 Cdn. Rating: 2 /5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The jar will fit in to a pocket nicely. Straight forward label, as the jar is small.
View attachment 858836View attachment 858837
3. Ease of application: The product is medium firmness. It is easy to scrape up with your fingernail. However you should make sure that your hands and fingers are warm, so that you can readily work it into you mustache. Rating: 4/5
4. Fragrance: Both of the versions have a nice fragrance (lavender and an earthy sandalwood respectively). The scents dissipate after a short time. Rating: 5/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a waxy product it has good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape most of the day with only occasional reshaping towards the end of the day. Rating: 4/5
6. Colour: The product is pale yellow, but does not colour my light mustache. Rating: 5/5
Excellent review! I have this product on my to-buy list. I was wondering about the lasting power of the scent but I am pleased to see you feel it dissipates quickly. I recently purchased Captain Fawcett's Expedition Strength wax...I will review this after I use it for a week or so.

Reuzel Pink – Heavy Hold Grease

1. Price: for the size of the container, a four ounce tin was $21.50 Cdn., the price seemed okay. Rating: 3/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The labeling is attractive. Rating: 5/5
3. Ease of application: The product is soft. It is very easy to scoop it up with your finger. It is easy to apply and work into your mustache. Rating: 5/5
upload_2018-2-9_10-24-41.jpeg
4. Fragrance: This is a big minus for me. It has an over-powering “bubblegum/candy” scent. It will linger for some time. This will mask any aftershave/cologne that you may like to use. I have left the container open for several weeks, and while the scent has decreased somewhat, I can still smell it after application. Rating: 0/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a petroleum product it has very good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape all day with no problems. Rating: 5/5
6. Colour: The product is cloudy, and has no colour to it. It will not colour your hair. Rating: 5/5
upload_2018-2-9_10-25-10.jpeg

Reuzel Pink – Heavy Hold Grease

1. Price: for the size of the container, a four ounce tin was $21.50 Cdn., the price seemed okay. Rating: 3/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The labeling is attractive. Rating: 5/5
3. Ease of application: The product is soft. It is very easy to scoop it up with your finger. It is easy to apply and work into your mustache. Rating: 5/5
View attachment 859081
4. Fragrance: This is a big minus for me. It has an over-powering “bubblegum/candy” scent. It will linger for some time. This will mask any aftershave/cologne that you may like to use. I have left the container open for several weeks, and while the scent has decreased somewhat, I can still smell it after application. Rating: 0/5
5. Hold & Lasting Power: As it is a petroleum product it has very good holding power. I can shape my mustache easily, and it will hold the shape all day with no problems. Rating: 5/5
6. Colour: The product is cloudy, and has no colour to it. It will not colour your hair. Rating: 5/5
View attachment 859082
Nice review. This is a product I have not come across yet. The lingering scent would not work for me...as much as I like bubblegum.

Nice review. This is a product I have not come across yet. The lingering scent would not work for me...as much as I like bubblegum.

You are correct. I cannot image anyone putting this in their hair. You would be smelling like a side-kick from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

You are correct. I cannot image anyone putting this in their hair. You would be smelling like a side-kick from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Yes, I know what you mean...and when we were kids we used to put bubblegum in other kids hair, not our own!

Murray’s Superior
1. Price: for the size of the container, the price was very good. A three ounce tin was $7.00 Cdn. Rating: 5/5
2. Attractiveness: the container is well made, easy to open/close. The labeling is attractive, with a traditional and old fashioned look. Rating: 4/5

3. Ease of application: The product is soft. It is very easy to scoop up with your finger. It is easy to apply and work into your mustache. Rating: 5/5
4. Fragrance: The product has a very mild vanilla scent, which dissipates quickly. This is a good point as it will not interfere with any aftershave/cologne that you may like to use. Rating: 5/5

Top Bottom