What's new

First straight razor shave

So, I just completed my first shave with "shave ready" straight razor.

It was given/traded to me by B&B member - his own words: "freshly honed to best of his ability". I have nothing to compare to at this point so I can't say how sharp this razor is comparing to other straights. I did the "arm hair" test before and felt that perhaps I had to cut hair on my arm a bit closer to the skin than recommended (probably a good thing for someone on his first attempt?)
Razor is "unknown" brand, and no, I don't own strop yet since I just wanted to try if this is something that I would be interested in, so I just shaved with it "as is".

In the weeks leading to this, I did lots of reading and watched quite a few videos, you know, typical things someone interested in this would do. I was of course reluctant but also somehow confident at the same time. Figured, I'm very coordinated, patient and usually learn and adapt quick (though my wife would argue with that statement at times) :D how hard can this be?

For those with short attention span, let me get this out of the way first.
Zero cuts, no nicks/blood and only 3 close calls (I was pretty sure I caught my lower lip at one point but no cut/blood on that one).

I had one day growth to "clean up", and did this with two passes using straight (both WTG) and third one with my DE razor for cleanup. Can't say they were two "full" straight razor passes, since I shaved about 3/4 of my face with straight on each pass, details below.

- No issues shaving my cheeks, it wasn't difficult at all.
- It was quite tricky to shave the mustache area, difficult to get the right angle there.
- I experienced quite a bit of tugging on my chin and just below jaw area, I tried changing the angle, but couldn't quite get it right, no smooth blade motion in this area this time (DE to the rescue).
- Lower neck was a bit trickier in the first pass (a bit of tugging) but fairly smooth in the second. I suspect the tugging is mostly due to me having less than ideal angle, because those few times when I got the angle right, it was all fine and smooth.

Here's what I feel would be FAQ(s) from anyone who's interested in trying this

Was it fun?
- Yeah, I quite enjoyed it.

Would you describe this as a smooth shave?
- For few brief moments yes, when I relaxed a bit and got the angle just right it was very smooth and easy.

Would you consider it a very close shave (closer than with my DE razor)?
- No it wasn't, but that wasn't the goal this time around.

How did aftershave feel on your face after?
- It burned pretty much everywhere on my face like it hasn't burned in a long time, though my face didn't feel "raw" after. :D

How did you hold the razor?
- Two fingers on each side of the handle, those more experience can correct if this is wrong?

How did it feel shaving with your "weaker" hand?
- That's the most surprising thing about this whole experience. I felt that my blade angle was actually better (spine closer to my face) with my left than my right hand resulting in slightly more confident, smoother and longer strokes. Not sure how to explain this one, possible honing made one side sharper, or I was just more cautious, not sure yet.

Will you do it again?
- Yes, I am consider buying nicer razor (eyeing inexpensive brand new TI Le Dandy or something similar geared towards beginner) and inexpensive strop. I personally don't see this being a daily thing given the maintenance needed (and I also really like my DE), but can see me doing this every once in a while, there's just something cool about it no doubt.

Even though, fairly clueless at this point, what would you consider perfect blade angle?
- Well, if I would have to put a number on it, not much more than 15 degrees, with spine being "that close" to your skin. However, I'm not ashamed to admit that I was way off in some areas. :D

Why didn't you shave XTG/ATG?
- Because I feel that would be just crazy on your first attempt, going WTG was difficult enough in some areas.

Most important advice to give based on your first experience?
- Make sure you have plenty of time and patience, in my opinion, this isn't something that can or should be rushed.

Sounds like you had fun...lol. My guess is if you keep up with it and learn the muscle memory required you wont shave with anything else. Keep at it !!

Sounds way better than my first straight shave. I think patience is key. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks, I agree on patience, glad I took my time.

Sounds like you had fun...lol. My guess is if you keep up with it and learn the muscle memory required you wont shave with anything else. Keep at it !!

Oh for sure I had fun and will try it again, thanks. It's truly "catch 22" in the beginning. You need proper blade angle to get the most out of it, and you need to be brave enough to trust that angle won't hurt you. :D

A blood free first straight shave, sounds great to me. The edge you're shaving on may need a little stropping before your next shave. I'd suggest using a newspaper Strop on the short term(Google it). Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A blood free first straight shave, sounds great to me. The edge you're shaving on may need a little stropping before your next shave. I'd suggest using a newspaper Strop on the short term(Google it). Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's exactly what I was told about stropping before I give it another go.

I found this fairly inexpensive strop. I'm considering ordering it (but would need to add straight razor to the shopping basket for... ahem... free shipping - that's the story for my wife anyway) :D :D :D . I know most of you guys who are serious about their straight razors would likely frown upon something like this. I'm familiar with their leather, a bit stiff initially but good quality, and ... I'm trying to learn here, so I don't feel I need "the best" to start with.

Now, if someone can help with advice on how do you go about picking the right razor size wise ?
This one (blade) is about 2.5" long and I'm not sure I'd like it any shorter. It's also measuring roughly somewhere between 4/8 and 5/8, and I feel that I wouldn't like any less than 5/8 or a bit bigger (6/8 perhaps ?). Seems that'd be easier to help me consistently find the right angle? Not sure if I'm making sense here ?

Bbb34 Welcome To the Darkside of shaving and an fantastic write up, just keep at it and take your time nice and slow is the key here.
just do the cheeks to start with and get use to it, then go to the next part down the neck but just take it nice and slow,then you will progress from there but welcome to a blood free first straight shave.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was told about stropping before I give it another go.

I found this fairly inexpensive strop. I'm considering ordering it (but would need to add straight razor to the shopping basket for... ahem... free shipping - that's the story for my wife anyway) :D :D :D . I know most of you guys who are serious about their straight razors would likely frown upon something like this. I'm familiar with their leather, a bit stiff initially but good quality, and ... I'm trying to learn here, so I don't feel I need "the best" to start with.

Now, if someone can help with advice on how do you go about picking the right razor size wise ?
This one (blade) is about 2.5" long and I'm not sure I'd like it any shorter. It's also measuring roughly somewhere between 4/8 and 5/8, and I feel that I wouldn't like any less than 5/8 or a bit bigger (6/8 perhaps ?). Seems that'd be easier to help me consistently find the right angle? Not sure if I'm making sense here ?

That strop is fine but I would go with a 3 inch wide one that way you wont need to do x strokes, and as for razors a good starting point is 6/8th blade poss a 5/8th.

Shave #2 was very similar except this time I had tinniest nick right under my nose, super minor.
Found someone who helped me strop the blade in the meantime, I tried super slow and doesn't seem to be that difficult. I had 2 day growth this time around and was just as slow as the first time (with different soap this time - living on the edge here, pun intended). :D

Managed to shave a bit more area with the straight this time on each pass. After about 3 passes WTG using straight, I was almost presentable enough to go out in public, but not quite there yet. :D Had to cleanup with DE again, but that's still OK.

What have I learned this time?
- Razor definitively could be a bit sharper.
- I may have misjudged the perfect angle to be around 15 degrees, it's somewhere between 15 - 30, not sure yet.
- Need to get better at stretching my skin in areas other than my cheeks, this still feel awkward.
- Need to find the way to see the razor when it's high on my cheek, around my sideburns - my hand is in the way.

Still had fun trying to improve, and aftershave still burned badly (will get better I'm sure). For now, I'll keep reading all the posts where enablers are suggesting all kinds of razors to buy... gotta stay strong and stick to the budget.

Excellent start.

Stropping will help the razor feel smoother. Maybe that's the issue with it needing to be sharper?

I am right handed and do not switch hands. On my left sideburn I have that blind spot. The only way I know is to switch hands. I am ok with the blind spot and shave that area my feel. Not a big deal since it's only the WTG pass. I can see that area perfectly on the XTG and ATG passes.

For angle I lay the blade flat and raise the spine one spine width from the skin. I then make minor adjustments if I need to. This is a great starting point.

Excellent start.

Stropping will help the razor feel smoother. Maybe that's the issue with it needing to be sharper?

I am right handed and do not switch hands. On my left sideburn I have that blind spot. The only way I know is to switch hands. I am ok with the blind spot and shave that area my feel. Not a big deal since it's only the WTG pass. I can see that area perfectly on the XTG and ATG passes.

For angle I lay the blade flat and raise the spine one spine width from the skin. I then make minor adjustments if I need to. This is a great starting point.

Thanks, I have some idea about the angle, what you're suggesting is kinda close what I do on the first pass and that works great, on second pass last night I tried the same and realized that I didn't shave as close, so I tried changing it a bit, seem to do a bit better. I suppose it depends on the blade too.

As for blind spot, I do change hands, but am still finding it hard to see, that very high point close to my sideburns.
I too did it by feel, which is scary thought considering I had not feel, or experience to start with, but worked out great.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

Congratulations on surviving your first real shave with a real razor. You were quite correct to not try to get a great shave. The object is to simply survive unscathed. Closeness and comfort will come with practice.

That strop should do you okay. You are correct to not go with anything more expensive than that for your first strop. You may very well hack it up badly as you learn. Spring for a better one later, after you are quite comfortable and reasonably skilled with the stropping.

Most razors have an edge of between 2-3/4" and 3" length. A 2-1/2" or shorter edge is usually what we consider a "shorty" and is favored by some, but not the majority. Same with narrow blades. 5/8" to 6/8" is pretty much the middle of the road apparently for good reason. Razors outside these parameters can be perfectly capable blades, but sticking with the middle ground initially will probably help you get started more easily than an oddball razor. Same with grind. I would initially avoid wedges and extra full hollow, instead going for half to full hollow. Your tastes may well evolve toward something else, and that is okay, and if someone gives you a razor that is not "ideal" but treetops hair readily, of course give it a go with that, rather than putting it into deep storage while you shop for the perfect beginner razor. Fact is, the only perfect razor is the one that after a couple years experience, YOU DECIDE is the perfect razor. Until you find a different perfect razor, of course.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A word about sharpness. Pretty much any razor said by a long standing member to be shave ready, will shave your face quite well if you do your part. Then there are those edges that are insanely sharp and you have to work more at not cutting your skin, rather than at cutting the whiskers. When I shave with most shave ready edges from professional honers, I have to modify my technique a bit, because to me, they are not sharp. At least not as sharp as I am used to. Yet, these are certainly shave ready eddges. Many things will help a more ordinary edge shave well. For instance, adding a bit of slice to the stroke. This increases cutting power a LOT, though you do have to have your basic technique dialed in to avoid an unseemly cut. You will find that those who hone for the sheer joy of it, or the scientific challenge, will (given time and practice) deliver a much keener edge than a busy professional, and that extra keen edge will filet the face of the unwary. Shave Ready encompasses a surprising variation in sharpness levels as well as smoothness/comfort levels, with extremes of both sharpness and smoothness being pretty nearly mutually exclusive. If I hone a blade meant for a newbie I definitely tone down the edge a bit if it comes out "too sharp". One man's "too sharp" is another man's "harsh".

Ideal shave angle for a nice sharp blade... lay the razor flat against your face. Now rotate the spine outward from the face so that there is a gap equal to the thickness of the spine. That is your basic shave angle. Try to work with that, and if necessary, adjust slightly in or out. In a bit for a wickedly sharp edge, generally. SLIGHTLY out for an edge that just doesn't seem to cut well, remembering of course that there are other factors that will make a razor seem like it is not up to the job such as poor prep, lack of stretching, slow, plodding strokes with no slice component, and so on. If you have to lean the spine too far out, something else is wrong, so don't scrape. Shave, or don't shave.

Thanks everyone, all very good advice, keep them coming, I'm fully aware just how "green" I am.

Great advice on adding a bit of slice to my stroke @Slash McCoy believe it or not, I do get it, but that takes guts and skill, likely sometimes down the road.

In terms of prep, I'm pretty sure I'm as good as it gets (and clearly modest :D) with top notch products too as I have been wet shaving for longer than I care to admit. I think a bit of tugging on my chin and below indeed is combination of my angle but also blade sharpness. My hair in this area is toughest, but my chin and below cleaned up buttery smooth at the same time with Timeless/Kai combo. For the time being I blame my technique of course, but have no other straight to compare with. Today I had someone in the local shop I know well touch up (hone) the blade a bit. I've done "arm hair" test after and it's sharper for sure this time. I'm also very close to ordering a razor (likely nicer than what I need for now) from superiorshave, and from what I read, those are "shave ready' indeed, then I'll have something to compare too.

Skipping a day today, so I have a bit more to work with tomorrow evening. :001_tongu

Again, appreciate the kind words and advice, keep them coming, that's the main reason I posted, well that, and to share with those who might be on the fence about trying straights. For years I've been considering one, but always talked myself out of it because of pricey (blood) learning curve and also maintenance needed.

Today I had someone in the local shop I know well touch up (hone) the blade a bit.
I really hope they are familiar with straights. B&B has, sadly, seen a number of posts about professional knife honers ruining perfectly good straights. The popular saying is that anyone honing a razor should also be a straight shaver themselves.

I really hope they are familiar with straights. B&B has, sadly, seen a number of posts about professional knife honers ruining perfectly good straights. The popular saying is that anyone honing a razor should also be a straight shaver themselves.

For sure this person is straight user, I have talked to him several times in the past about his passion for straight razor shaving. I cannot of course say if he's as good as few members here with great honing reputation. Even doing hair test in the store razor seemed sharper, and I just did my shave #3 and found it indeed to be sharper than on first two attempt. Not a night and day difference but definitively sharper.

Shave #3 and my final "extensive" contribution to this "first shave" thread.

It went pretty well, I used my favourite, best performing cream and was more comfortable, confident, slightly faster (did not rush it) and I think smoother on this attempt. I completed 2 WTG passes of my whole face and only cleanup needed with DE razor was about 3 mm. area in the corner of my mouth on the left side.
Smallest cut this time, exact same area as last, right bellow my nose. Both times this was the result of that first touch, trying to angle the blade and lowering it down on my skin. I still find top 1/4 of my mustache area most challenging, I think I have the rest more less figured out.

There is a part of my beard, on both sides of Adam's apple that grows in opposite direction to the rest, so, south to north. On either of last two attempts I had no issue shaving that with blade pointing up (so still WTG) did not find it awkward to hold and angle the blade properly even though it was pointing up.

Final result was actually pretty decent shave, could be a bit better only in one small spot right under my chin, the rest was pretty good. Aftershave still had a "nice burn" to it, clearly I'm improving but am not super smooth just yet. :D

Things I did not know about straight razor shaving I learned from these 3 attempts:
- They are actually more forgiving than they seem to a person who have never used them. I've made several mistakes and got away with most of them. Might've been light touch, good angle, pure luck or "all of the above", I'm not sure exactly if I'm honest.
- Shaving with "non dominant" hand is a lot easier than I though it would be, like I said, I'm fairly athletic and coordinated, but still wasn't quite sure I would be able to do it, turned out, wasn't an issue.

Thanks everyone for helping out with advice and friendly "pat on the back". I'm ordering my "beginner's strop" tonight and will be shaving with my DE until it arrives. For my new straight razor, I've narrowed my choices down to two and will be ordering one of those soon (from superiorshave as their reputation for shipping shave ready razors is great).

Top Bottom