What's new

tabac smell

Just got my first bowl of tabac yesterday. Upon opening it, I was scratching my head a bit recalling zombie corpse and such used to describe the scent. Smelled pretty good to me!
I pushed it down into the bowl as best I could, raising some bumps on the sides.
When I was ready to shave, I went at it with a shook out EVO 24mm. After loading for about 15 sec, I could tell I needed a bit more. A bit of water on the tips and loaded another 10 sec or so.
A bit of water in my bowl and worked it, adding water a few times. As the peaks started to soften a bit I went to the face and was met with a very luxurious lather with a very nice scent.
3 passes with the R41 / Voskhod(10) combo and no irritation. Finished up with some WH and Lucky Tiger (to preserve the tabac scent a bit).
Close the bowl up this morning, and the lid doesn't really seal it, so put the gold paper cover back on as well. Will come up with a better solution for this.

Overall, I am very pleased. I had put off trying this because of the mixed reviews on scent, but I find it very nice in all respects after one shave. The $1 I paid for it makes it even sweeter! Probably would have been happier to put a refill puck in my own regular containers, but will make the bowl work. :001_smile

No date listed, but it's in stock. Already waited a week, but it's what I get for adding it to an Amazon order to save on postage rather than buying from my usual shave suppliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Was meh on the shave soap smell for awhile, now I ok with it and love the soap. So I'm either used to it, or it's getting better with use, maybe both?

All of Tabac's stuff is great. The Aftershave smell is a better than the soap, and a very good splash. Body soap has the best scent of the 3, and it is great soap with good skin feel.

Those clever Grandma's. Through years of experience starting as young women, they have gathered scents that they find attractive and collect them in their purses. Through collaboration with Tabac, they were able to get this scent combination onto their men through shaving soaps and aftershaves. As men, we are not always sure what to make of the Tabac scent. The key is that women appear to be very attracted to it. Even women who say they don't like it eventually end up collecting the scents as their purses eventually smell like their Grandma's. This is obvious proof that Tabac is very special and a very effective woman attractor. Anyway thats my scientific explanation and its good enough for me.

Yes, Tabac has an "old" scent to some. I prefer to call it "classic."

I don't mind that some people don't seem to care for the scent.
Just imagine the boredom if we all would fall for the same fragrances.

I do like the old-fashioned scent. It reminds me of my dad, God bless his soul, who must have been using Tabac aftershave at some time in my childhood, shortly after Tabac was first released in 1959.

Of course, it helps that it performs very well, and for my trips I like that rather large shaving stick.
I do not use Tabac every day, but I seem to use it more often now than I did a few years ago.

A great classic product.

B

Some arrived today, and I could smell it through all the packaging!
I like the smell. Reminds me of my Dads soaps from years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A year ago or so, when Perfumania had their Tabac clearance, I bought a number of Tabacs in the jar for $8 ea after coupon so I have enough Tabac to last a long, long time. I'm really glad the performance is great and I enjoy the scent because I will be using it for years to come, Lord willing.

My Tabac soap arrived today and I couldn't wait to shave! Good Lord - this is thus far my favorite shaving soap! Incredible woodsy/tobacco/leather masculine scent. Strong but not overdone. Lathers up like a dream.
The cushion is fantastic and the slickness is as good as it gets.

(I used a razor that I know I'll never use again, even though I ended up with a BBS shave - the iKon B1 Deluxe with a new Astra Platinum blade. Today I've decided that open comb razors are just not for me. Some burn, some post-shave mild rash...adios to that. Combs are for head hair, AFAIC. Glad I had Thayer's medicated aloe witch hazel and Proraso balm as the antidotes. If it weren't for the Tabac this would have been a total disappointment.)

Kudos to Tabac. :001_cool:

Its a love or hate scent, probably due to the strength and long lasting attribute. I kinda like it, especially in cool weather.

Don't judge Tabac, or any soap, by the scent of a raw, dry puck.

You need to break it in, which involves soaking under water for a few hours and lathering it up for the better part of a week.

I love Tabac, but it is strictly a Wintertime scent for me. It is at its best when the outside temp is below freezing.

And if you like the soap, get the rest of the line to go with it. Cream, ASL, EdC / EdT, bath soap, deodorant, etc. Nothing goes better with Tabac except more Tabac.

Some arrived today, and I could smell it through all the packaging!
I like the smell. Reminds me of my Dads soaps from years ago.
When I got my first puck, I could smell it as soon as I opened the front door.

I brought it upstairs and unwrapped it, and the smell practically knocked me over. I could even smell it from the next room.

I'm thinking "OMG, I've made a terrible mistake." But I just started using it and getting it broken in, and the magic started to work on me. I've never been without it ever since, but I only use it in Wintertime.

And I haven't found anything else that does cold weather as well as Tabac.

Another bonus ... Chicks dig it.

Last edited:
My Tabac soap arrived today and I couldn't wait to shave! Good Lord - this is thus far my favorite shaving soap! Incredible woodsy/tobacco/leather masculine scent. Strong but not overdone. Lathers up like a dream.
The cushion is fantastic and the slickness is as good as it gets.

(I used a razor that I know I'll never use again, even though I ended up with a BBS shave - the iKon B1 Deluxe with a new Astra Platinum blade. Today I've decided that open comb razors are just not for me. Some burn, some post-shave mild rash...adios to that. Combs are for head hair, AFAIC. Glad I had Thayer's medicated aloe witch hazel and Proraso balm as the antidotes. If it weren't for the Tabac this would have been a total disappointment.)

Kudos to Tabac. :001_cool:
Congratulations, it's a great soap! Check out the EdT sometime, it's really good stuff.

A year ago or so, when Perfumania had their Tabac clearance, I bought a number of Tabacs in the jar for $8 ea after coupon so I have enough Tabac to last a long, long time. I'm really glad the performance is great and I enjoy the scent because I will be using it for years to come, Lord willing.
I got in on that Perfumania sale. I bought one of every Tabac product they had since I needed to replenish my whole line.

Oddly enough, all the samples they sent me were all women's fragrances. They did the same thing when I ordered from them again a couple weeks later. I gave them away to a friend at work.

Top Bottom