What's new

Merkur Futur Review and Thoughts.

I was fortunate enough to acquire a Merkur Futur from a B&B member. So, my thanks to Deelyte for making it available in the BST forum. It was only used a few times and came to me in brand new condition!

I had a chance to use the the Merkur Futur once this morning and it’s enough for me to shout to the mountains!

I know I raved about the Qshave clone and encouraged everyone to buy one for the ridiculously low price of 7 bucks. I still stand by that. You can't go wrong….at THAT price. 7 bucks. Once the Qshave starts to get into the 20 and 30 dollar range, it’s time to set your eyes on the real deal! The Merkur Futur!

Finish

The finish is GORGEOUS! It’s heavily chromed and simply gleams and shines! True, the smoothness of the handle and head only enhances and accentuates the shine and polish. But if you’re gonna chrome a smooth-handled razor you might as well go to town! And Merkur did. It’s a highly polished mirror shine!

Weight and Build Quality

Now that I have a Merkur Futur, I can comment on the weight as compared to the Qshave. Yes, the Qshave is lighter. And while the Qshave is well built, the Merkur Futur is SUPERBLY well built. Yes, you can say the Merkur Futur is built like a tank. But it is so precisely well built, and so gleamingly good-looking, it’s a bit more accurate to say it’s a futuristic, 21st century streamlined tank.:)

The Merkur Futur is heavier but very well balanced. The balance is to the point where there is no maneuverability problems at all. I was able to shave under the nose near the nostrils (a tight area for me) with great ease and precision. The Qshave lacks this maneuverability. I don’t know exactly what it is (and I will investigate further), but the Merkur Futur is designed differently in some way. Having used them both, I doubt the Qshave is an identical clone. There is some quality that makes the Merkur more sleek, trim, and clean. At the moment, I simply cannot put my finger on it.

Whereas the Qshave is a very solid razor, the Merkur Futur feels like it will last for generations! Your great-grandson will be using the Merkur Futur.

Grip

Like the Qshave, the Merkur Futur is a smooth-handled razor. Again, the indentation in the handle body lends itself to a sure grip. Even though it is highly chromed to a mirror finish, I still had good, sure gripping. Just to note, this morning, I used TOOBs Eaton College shaving cream. I loaded some cream into my Vikings Blade Black Knight badger brush. I rinsed and dried my hands of cream and did a face lather. Perhaps this process kept my hands a bit dryer than usual? Regardless, the razor just fit properly in my hand. The razor felt right at home, so to speak.

Blade Loading and Adjustment

Again, like the Qshave, the process is is very straightforward. Pop off the cap, drop in a blade, pop the cap back on.

Now, I need to amend my Qshave review. I have noticed through repeated use, just a bit of uneven blade alignment from one side to the other. It’s nothing major and very, very slight. Not a deal-breaker for the Qshave.

In contrast, the Merkur Futur is EXACT and extremely precise. The blades sits evenly on each side. No question. Bam! Right on the money!

To adjust, simply grab the ENDS of the razor head and turn the entire handle to increase or decrease the blade gap. This morning, though, due to the precision and close tolerances of the Merkur Futur, I found I had to hold the razor head with a hand towel in order to turn the handle and adjust to the next half step. My hands were a bit slick but not enough to allow the razor to slip out of my hand. The Merkur Futur handle has a very slow, smooth, sure, weighted feel when adjusting. The Qshave turns more easily because, I guess, there is more slop in the tolerances. Again, the Merkur Futur’s precision build is on display.

The Shave

I started at level 1. I read other reviews and most stated that the Merkur Futur can be an overly aggressive razor. Okay, level 1 it is.

Whereas the Qshave at level 3 was on the mild side, yet highly efficient, the Merkur Futur was INCREDIBLY EFFICIENT and IMPECCABLY SMOOTH. At level 1! It gave me plenty of audio feedback and even though I used the increase method, I suffered no irritation, nicks, or cuts!

My shave started at level 1 on pass one, level 1.5 on pass two, and level 2 on pass three. You could hear the blade cutting the whisker and see the cream being plowed away. But, it was oh so smooth. (Again, the Qshave’s audio feedback is wanting.)

As mentioned before, I was able to get into the tight areas of my face and cut whiskers cleanly. I also have whiskers on the top corners around my mouth that need to be given extra attention to make sure they have been completely and cleanly shaved. The Merkur Futur took care of these areas with no problems.

The shave is simply superior to that of the Qshave. It’s smoother and more balanced. A real pleasure. I plan on dialing it up a half step to improve the closeness of the shave. But starting at level 1, the shave was wonderfully close and beautifully smooth! I’ll have to use it for a few more shaves, but, so far, it promises to be even better than the Merkur Progress.

Minor “Blemishes”

None.

Final Words

I know I raved about the Qshave clone, but the Merkur Futur is the real deal. If the clone is a nicely well-made sedan (take your pick of make and model), the Merkur Futur is the Mercedes Benz!

I look at it this way...would I ever take the Merkur Futur on a trip or weekend getaway? NO WAY! I would be absolutely heartbroken if I lost or misplaced it. I cannot afford to lose the Merkur Futur!

The Qshave clone? It would travel with me every time. I can afford to lose it, drop it, break it, etc. No great loss.

Given the build, balance, weight, quality, precision, and gleaming good looks, the Merkur Futur just might be the cure for RAD (Razor Acquisition disorder).

To borrow a line from an amazon reviewer, the Merkur Futur is not a razor, it’s a shaving instrument.

Great review, my friend I guess you won't be trying any SE razors(shaving instruments) in the near future

Thank you!:) (And thanks again for the terrific Merkur Futur!):)

Well, ya never know.:) I still may give an SE a try.:) I'm making it a point to stop in at antique stores here and there. I'm also hoping to drop in at estate sales. So far, I haven't come across any SEs. We'll see.:)

Some More Thoughts

Well, I had a third shave this morning with the Merkur Futur.

Now, the second shave was yesterday afternoon/evening. I used it to shave my head. The Personna blade was used once more.

After giving my hair around the fringes a close crop cut with Wahl electric clippers, I lathered up the top of my head and set the razor to 1.5. The result was a beautifully smooth shave! No nicks. It really took down all those stray hairs that pop up from time to time.:) I'm not a hairy guy at all. I simply have to remove those stragglers or it looks like a burnt out forest.:) (Including the chest). It's those Eastern European Hungarian genes.:)

Next was the back of my neck. Again, the razor turned in a smooth, close performance.

No slippage of the handle at all even when reaching behind. I really love the heavy weight.:)

This morning, I popped in a Dorco ST300, lathered up with some Italian Barber Fresco Verde ( a real bargain!), and it was off to the races.:) By the way, the blade sat in the razor head tight, close, and snug. No slippage or slop at all. It balanced out evenly on both sides. Again, highly, highly precise.

I performed three passes. The first pass was at 1.5, the second at 2, and the third pass finished up at 2.5.

While the Dorco blade isn't quite as smooth as the Personna, it still offered a close shave. And, this morning's third shave clearly demonstrated how the Merkur Futur easily makes up for performance shortcomings of some razor blades.

The morning shave was another winner! Close, smooth, and completely free of nicks or cuts. And, I was easily able to knock down the hairs under the nostrils and at the upper corners of the mouth without any sort of struggle.

My morning shave takes place shortly after 5 A.M. Last night, my shadow didn't become noticeable until 8 P.M. Again, I'm not a hairy guy. But, when I've shaved with other mild (inefficient) razors, the stubble returns much, much earlier.

Safe to say, if attending an evening event and, pressed for time, one pass with the Merkur Futur would be all I'd need to clean up (provided I had my morning shave with the Merkur).:)

I can only add that it's not possible to rate an adjustable safety razor alongside any of the conventional safety razors in my stable. I have my favorites among those and they will remain so. Sometimes, it's nice to just mix things up a bit and I'm sure I'll pull out my Chieftain or other safety razor favorite and receive a nice, clean shave.

But having an adjustable like the Merkur Futur gives you "on the fly" options.

I recall seeing a video when I first came back to wetshaving. The gentleman demonstrating wetshaving used two razors. The first was (I assume) more aggressive and used for the first two passes. The second razor was milder and used for the third pass. I've only used one safety razor when shaving. But now, the Merkur Futur (and Merkur Progress) allow me, through adjustability, to use two, three or more safety razors in one!:)

Yes, I've purchased a straight razor. Perhaps I'll give it a go. And Delyte has introduced me to the SE razor world. (I greatly appreciate all his wonderful information).

And generally speaking, from my first go round with the Chieftain to now using the Futur, it's just plain nice to receive a close shave with no irritation or nicks or cuts. I'm sure SE razors would fall into this category, but I hesitate with the straight. I like not cutting myself.:)

So, in my humble opinion, the Merkur Futur is a tough act to follow.:) I never thought I'd ever need or want an adjustable safety razor. Merkur has changed all this.

It's amazing because I'm the rare individual who found the Merkur HD 34C to be too mild. It left behind hairs even after three passes. And it soured me, just a it, on Merkur. But I'm not one to burn bridges. So, to now have two of their adjustable razors perform at such a high level has made me a believer.:)

so, would the blade gap on the clone be identical to the Futur?

Blade gap? Well, I've no instruments to measure. But, so far, I've found the razors to be different.

As I mentioned in my review of the Qshave, the razor doesn't really become efficient for me until I dial it up to level three.

With the Futur, right out of the box, it's efficiency starts at level 1.

Blade gap? Well, I've no instruments to measure. But, so far, I've found the razors to be different.

As I mentioned in my review of the Qshave, the razor doesn't really become efficient for me until I dial it up to level three.

With the Futur, right out of the box, it's efficiency starts at level 1.
thanks!

I did forget to mention...The razor handle (or neck) is a bit to thick for my current stand. I have to hang it upside down in order to fit the stand.

It does hang right side up but father down the collar where the indentation starts. I want it to hang just under the razor head.

I'd be willing to get a stand with an opening that is larger to accommodate the Futur so I can hang it right side up (as well as my current razor lineup).:) I'm just not sure which one would work.

Anyone have a Futur and a stand that works?

EDIT -- Come to think of it, I do have one kind of bullet stand that may or may not work. I need to check.

Last edited:
Merkur makes a specific stand for this razor. I know WCS sells it. I believe the Omega 226 stand also will work.

Thank you!:) Both look terrific!:) Obviously, the Omega is more affordable. I'm going to check that other stand I have. If the Futur fits, problem solved. If not, the Omega looks like a very good option.:)

Well, the small bullet stand does not work.

Before I purchase a new stand, I'm thinking...what about a simple glass or other household item that can be repurposed as a safety razor stand of sorts?

Does anyone already do this? Perhaps this should be a new thread?

Well, the small bullet stand does not work.

Before I purchase a new stand, I'm thinking...what about a simple glass or other household item that can be repurposed as a safety razor stand of sorts?

Does anyone already do this? Perhaps this should be a new thread?

I've used a fancy, narrow, crystal shot glass

Excellent Review, somehow reading your view on the Futur gives me more motivation to learn how to use it and and tame it. So far I have managed not to cut myself and only get skin irritation on my neck if i am rushing.

As for the stand for it, since I purchased the set, this is what it looks like. Ignore the carts in the back, those still come in handy when I am in a rush or traveling =)
View media item 58059

The Futur is a favorite of mine. I got mine with the satin finish and, as you said, it was extremely well made. I use it for my Sunday razor, the significance of this is that I don't shave on Friday or Saturday, just to give my face a rest (and my wife likes a little scuzz). I use a Feather and set the razor to 3, it mows down the three-day growth like it wasn't there. A smooth, BBS shave almost every time.

A word of warning; don't get too complacent, it's also capable of delivering a very nasty cut, as people on this forum will attest. But, that said, pay attention and give it a bit of a clean now and again and you should be happy with it for years.

I was fortunate enough to acquire a Merkur Futur from a B&B member.....

Good review and follow up, thanks.

I always liked Merkur products, and this is the one that caught my eye as possible next purchase.
While in the store the other day, I had a chance to check it out. I wanted to get a feel for what it'd be like to hold, swap blades and just in general, what fit and finish are like (looks and feels amazing I must say).

I like heavy razors, and in general like well built and slightly overbuilt things, and Futur delivers on this front, but few minutes I spent with it, it just felt too bulky in my hands. I have very large hands, so in theory this would be a good thing, but somehow, Futur just didn't feel perfect in my hands.

Could you please comment if you needed some time to get used to thickness of the handle and just overall size, or you knew right from the first moment it was a good fit?

Top Bottom