What's new

Fatip review

Not trying to hijack this thread but if the FaTip is the poor man's Joris, than the Cadet/Razorock OC is the....er....homeless man's razor? The "Jaws" has the same head as the FaTip and Joris. However the finish on the Jaws is much nicer than the Grande and is even less expensive. Received mine for $14.99 Cdn + shipping.

Attachments

• $IMG-20121016-00313.jpg
    $IMG-20121016-00313.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 326
  • $IMG-20121016-00312.jpg
    $IMG-20121016-00312.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 328
Not trying to hijack this thread but if the FaTip is the poor man's Joris, than the Cadet/Razorock OC is the....er....homeless man's razor? The "Jaws" has the same head as the FaTip and Joris. However the finish on the Jaws is much nicer than the Grande and is even less expensive. Received mine for $14.99 Cdn + shipping.

Apologies for resurrecting a thread that is over six months old, but today I contacted Joe from italianbarber.com today. He said that the Fatip head is NOT the same as the Jaws.

Looks like I'm late to the party here, but I just picked up a Fatip Retro the other week, mostly because I've been wanting an open comb razor for a while now. In short - I really like it! It's my favorite razor now, but this seems to change every couple of months :smile:.

I'm a fan of longer handled, simple, well made razors. This ticked all of the boxes. It's a really lovely looking instrument too.

Mine does have one quirky feature though. The blade exposure is definitely uneven, so I have one side of the razor that is slightly more aggressive than the other. I only noticed once I started shaving, but it's obvious with a visual inspection. Happily, the 'mild' side is pretty much perfect for my neck and upper lip, so I'm okay with it.

I'm just curious if anyone else has found this?

It could be just a little bit more aggressive for my tastes, but I'll run some different brands of blade through before I stand by that statement. I won't say what brand of blade I was using, as everyone has their own tastes there too.

If they bring out a different model, or if there is another Italian open comb razor, there's still about a 100% chance I'll buy it now :)

Mine does have one quirky feature though. The blade exposure is definitely uneven, so I have one side of the razor that is slightly more aggressive than the other. I only noticed once I started shaving, but it's obvious with a visual inspection. Happily, the 'mild' side is pretty much perfect for my neck and upper lip, so I'm okay with it.

I'm just curious if anyone else has found this?

I have not seen that issue on my Fatips, but is it possible the blade you were using had not been cut precisely? A fellow B&B member posted recently about poor blade cutouts being a possible cause of blade alignment issues that we sometimes blame on the razor.

Mine - Fatip grande:
Uneven with most blades (but adjustable before tightening it)
Feather blades seem to load nicely.

Ahhh, I've definitely earned myself a duh point there - I checked before shaving this morning, and sure enough, the blade does need a little manual alignment. Very strange though, as my other 3-piece razors do not need this. Would I be overly critical to say that this is a mark against the FaTip?

But tossed out the Astra SP that was sitting in it (I like the Astras a lot - but I throw at the start of each week, regardless), and exchanged it for a PolSilver SI. Putting the combo against a 3 or 4 day growth (I can't remember when I shaved last), it performed beautifully. I really like how this razor accommodates the lightest of touch, and really works with your lather.

I'd sort of lost the passion for shaving, but with this latest acquisition, it's certainly stirred something. Great razor!

Ahhh, I've definitely earned myself a duh point there - I checked before shaving this morning, and sure enough, the blade does need a little manual alignment. Very strange though, as my other 3-piece razors do not need this. Would I be overly critical to say that this is a mark against the FaTip?

But tossed out the Astra SP that was sitting in it (I like the Astras a lot - but I throw at the start of each week, regardless), and exchanged it for a PolSilver SI. Putting the combo against a 3 or 4 day growth (I can't remember when I shaved last), it performed beautifully. I really like how this razor accommodates the lightest of touch, and really works with your lather.

I'd sort of lost the passion for shaving, but with this latest acquisition, it's certainly stirred something. Great razor!

Ive read several users report the issue. However it doesnt take 2 seconds to align it. Personally it really doesnt even bother me. I only got 6 razors but i really really love this this one, and after 2-3 days stuble, Its my go to. Im actually so happy for it, that i consider to buy the grande and Maybe even the CC gentlie too. I follow your admiration for it all the way :)

I have a fatip piccolo and i also noticed that the blades need alignment sometimes before i lock the handle steady, but it dont bother me . The little thing is amazing its pretty solid , the weight is right , the handle feels right in my hand and i shave everyday with it . Smooth shave from the first day i used it no nicks or weepers whatsoever -i'm not shaving ATG thought - just 1 pass WTG and 1 XTG and i'm done .

In my opinion is a fine razor in a very affordable price .

I'm glad I read those last posts. I just received a new Piccolo and when I loaded the blade saw that it was uneven. I was able to straighten it in short order, but I was wondering it I had received a defective razor. Apparently not. If that's just how they're made, I'll just make sure I check when I load a new blade. Of course, I haven't shaved with it yet, and that will be the real test. If I like it, adjusting the blade won't matter, and if I don't I'll be selling or trading it anyway.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've had a Piccolo for a long while now and I totally forgot about it. Today is a lazy day but I think I'll use it and get reacquainted. I remember really liking it, just not using it as a daily driver.

I'm glad I read those last posts. I just received a new Piccolo and when I loaded the blade saw that it was uneven. I was able to straighten it in short order, but I was wondering it I had received a defective razor. Apparently not. If that's just how they're made, I'll just make sure I check when I load a new blade. Of course, I haven't shaved with it yet, and that will be the real test. If I like it, adjusting the blade won't matter, and if I don't I'll be selling or trading it anyway.

Actually, from what I've read, I wouldn't think that this is normal for a Fatip currently--that is, assuming yours is actually new, period, and not an old one that's new to you. People have reported that the current design (the so-called MK2) is being manufactured to much tighter specs than the former one (the MK1). So it might make sense to pursue an exchange.

Actually, from what I've read, I wouldn't think that this is normal for a Fatip currently--that is, assuming yours is actually new, period, and not an old one that's new to you. People have reported that the current design (the so-called MK2) is being manufactured to much tighter specs than the former one (the MK1). So it might make sense to pursue an exchange.
That's interesting; I bought the razor from Maggards, so I doubt that it's old stock. In any event after this morning's shave the razor stays!

This was the closest shave I've had from any razor I own. It was also quite smooth and comfortable. Full disclosure - I did have two nicks, one of which required the styptic pencil, but I think that I just didn't realize that while it felt effortless, it was still important to pay attention. Especially since the handle is really tiny, both in length and girth, and I don't have delicate fingers. That said, I expect that by the end of the week I won't be seeing any blood after my shave.

Back to the manufacturing side of things, the finish is quite nice, although the handle could be smoother to the touch. It seems as if it could have used a bit more polishing (or whatever the last process is that smooths everything out). Given the quality of the shave and the quality of the finish, I won't mind checking the alignment when I change blades.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Used it today. It's rare that I get a shave that's this close! I forgot how this thing shaves. I did nik the side of my mouth, though. Didn't stretch there enough. Used to a more forgiving razor. I think I'll use this some more to get a better feel for it.

I have one of the MK2 versions of the Piccolo and find it an effortless but aggressive razor to use. As to blade alignment problems, I don't experience this on any of my DE's. I have the Piccolo, Shone OC (which is made by FaTip but different), and a 37C slant.

What I have found is that if I hold the head assembly in my hand while screwing the handle on I more times than not have alignment problems, but if I lay the top cap on the counter, place the blade and bottom plate on, put my thumb and index fingers on the tips of the alignment pins, (this puts zero pressure on the bottom plate and blade but keeps the assembly steady), and screw the handle on and only when it starts to tighten I turn the head assy to one of the faces of the head and cinch it ever so slightly... I have found in using this technique I never have an alignment problem ever... I found that by just holding the assy in my fingers while screwing the handle on, just the slightest touch to the blade ends protruding from the top cap seemed to skew the blade while tightening the handle down. The way I am doing it now there is even pressure all the way around the head on the blade, top and bottom, to seat the blade properly.

Of course as with anything in wet shaving, YMMV comes into play as well!! :001_rolle

Top Bottom