What's new

New West Coast Shaving synthetic

I've been enjoying the new synthetics with Plisson-style knots, but haven't found one in exactly the size I (think I) want. I think that just changed after using the new WCS synthetic with the faux ivory handle this morning.

Disclaimers:

* I like smaller brushes
* I like backbone
* I'm a boar guy
* I exclusively scuttle-lather at home

I've tried the Maggards, the Stirlings, and the Fines, all in a variety of sizes. So far, the closest any of them has gotten is the smaller Stirling (Li'l Brudder, 22/51). The loft is short enough and and the knot dense enough to retain some backbone, and it's a pretty good size. It's now my go-to travel brush, as it fits the pill bottle I use and it's a good brush. What I wanted to try was the same loft but just a smidge more diameter. So far, there hadn't been one out there with that specification.

Got the email alert from WCS, and at $15 with free shipping it was worth trying, especially because the knot was 24/51.

Glad I did. It's a terrific brush, seemingly well made, and with a pretty dense knot. The handle is solid plastic, so it has some heft, which I like. (I've re-handled my Omega boars for this reason.) Good backbone.

What I wasn't ready for was how it soaks up the lather. Made lather just fine, but there didn't seem to be much in the bowl of my scuttle--much of it was in the brush.

That's okay, so long as there is lather! I was thinking that this would be a great brush for face-latherers, since the brush will hold a great amount of lather. I don't face-lather, but would love to hear from those who do who try this brush.

So: another good choice. So much win! :biggrin:

Thanks for the review. I'm contemplating getting a WCS synthetic to replace my L'Occitane Plisson synthetic. Still have the knot, but handle died.

Anyone with a L'Occitane synthetic that can do a direct comparison?

I have the Ivory. I love the handle. It's solid and comfortable to hold. However as a face-latherer, I found the knot too prickly to lather using circular motions. It loads well, but it's far too uncomfortable for me to use unless I paint the lather on. I think this one is destined for the "misfit" box in the basement or eventually a re-knot.

I have the Ivory. I love the handle. It's solid and comfortable to hold. However as a face-latherer, I found the knot too prickly to lather using circular motions. It loads well, but it's far too uncomfortable for me to use unless I paint the lather on. I think this one is destined for the "misfit" box in the basement or eventually a re-knot.
Hmm....
Sounds like this may not be what I'm looking for. Essentially, a larger and plisson synthetic with a little more backbone, but same silky feeling.

Hmm....
Sounds like this may not be what I'm looking for. Essentially, a larger and plisson synthetic with a little more backbone, but same silky feeling.

I guess I'm looking for something similar, with less emphasis on backbone. I found the Asylum synthetic softer, but couldn't get it to splay. The WCS synthetic splays easier than Asylum, but it's too prickly. With my primary brushes being Thater, Rooney and Simpson badgers, I may have to admit that I'm too spoiled for any synthetic.

trombonelineness, I am in the same camp as you. I love backbone and a boar user. My favorite knot is the Omega boar, 24mmX48mm, found in the Omega 40033 brush. Great knot but a lousy handle and I too have re-handled a number of these brushes. When broken in these boar knots are VERY soft on the face but still provide OUTSTANDING backbone.

I know you have experience with the Stirling 22mm knot. Did you ever consider the 24X51mm synthetic knot brush Stirling offers? It may provide more backbone than the 22mm. I am considering ordering one.

Here is a youtube video of the brush in use. Looks like the brush has decent backbone but maybe less scratch.

Thanks, @deoxy4! I'm embarrassed to say that I never noticed that brush at Stirling. Same size as the WCS. I really like the smaller Stirling brush I have, so I put this one on my wishlist.

tromboneliness, I ordered and received the Stirling, 24mmx51mm, synthetic brush. Nice size very good knot with a comfortable handle. Decent backbone for a synthetic. I only have the Razorock 24mm to compare it to. I am starting to believe that loft has less to do with backbone than the height of the glue bump and density of the knot on synthetic brushes, at least for Plissoft knots.

tromboneliness, I ordered and received the Stirling, 24mmx51mm, synthetic brush. Nice size very good knot with a comfortable handle. Decent backbone for a synthetic. I only have the Razorock 24mm to compare it to. I am starting to believe that loft has less to do with backbone than the height of the glue bump and density of the knot on synthetic brushes, at least for Plissoft knots.

Thanks, deoxy4!

trombonelineness, I am in the same camp as you. I love backbone and a boar user. My favorite knot is the Omega boar, 24mmX48mm, found in the Omega 40033 brush. Great knot but a lousy handle and I too have re-handled a number of these brushes. When broken in these boar knots are VERY soft on the face but still provide OUTSTANDING backbone.

I know you have experience with the Stirling 22mm knot. Did you ever consider the 24X51mm synthetic knot brush Stirling offers? It may provide more backbone than the 22mm. I am considering ordering one.

Here is a youtube video of the brush in use. Looks like the brush has decent backbone but maybe less scratch.

I recommend a contrasting color on your shower curtain to add pop to your decor.

Nice video thanks.
Do you have a YouTube channel ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No I don't. The video was just something I found on YouTube. The gentleman in the video has some interesting videos on his channel, if you check them out.

Top Bottom