What's new

Term "wet shaving" exclusive to "safety razors?"

Correct me if I'm... "incorrect," but to me it seems that many shavers of the facial-follicle use the term "wet shaving" as an exclusive term for the DE safety razor. Why is that? Isn't using a cartridge razor, straight edge razor or a SE razor with "water" and soap also considered "wet shaving" as well??? I'm confused.

For example, I've read many claiming, "I've dumped the cartridge razors and switched to "wet shaving" (inferring a DE razor). Isn't it all "wet" shaving if you're using water???

Thanks for the opinions.

I've use term "Classical wet shaving" - and that includes DE, SE and straight razors shaving with brush and cream/soap. Not cartridge, though. Although yes, you right, it is wet shaving with them too.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

It's a term without a meaning really. All shaving is "wet". However I take it to refer to shaving with soap/creme and a brush at a minimum. It could include using a cartridge but it usually doesn't include that.

I agree...using water to assist with shaving makes that process "wet shaving", whether you are using a DE/SE, a straight, a cartridge, or an electric razor.

Very few here actually dry shave (with a blade!), though based on a recent thread, it's apparently been done a few times here out of necessity :eek2:

I've always used the term as a catch-all to contrast with dry shaving using an electric razor, but to include carts, DE, SE, SR and any other method that involves the use of water, soap/cream/foam/gel. I'll talk about using traditional razor blades if the subject comes up in conversation, to be more specific.

Correct me if I'm... "incorrect," but to me it seems that many shavers of the facial-follicle use the term "wet shaving" as an exclusive term for the DE safety razor. Why is that? Isn't using a cartridge razor, straight edge razor or a SE razor with "water" and soap also considered "wet shaving" as well??? I'm confused.

For example, I've read many claiming, "I've dumped the cartridge razors and switched to "wet shaving" (inferring a DE razor). Isn't it all "wet" shaving if you're using water???

Thanks for the opinions.

It would not even remotely occur to me to limit the term "wet shaving" to safety razors alone, as straight razors (the type of razor that I use) had been in use long before the safety razor was invented and - as you rightly state - even cartridge razors are "wet shaving" utensils.

To me, the term "wet shaving" serves only to separate above razors from electric razors or other systems that do not use water.

If I wanted to refer to straight razors and safety razors exclusively, I'd use the term "classical" or "traditional wet shaving" (possibly omitting the "wet" altogether).

If I wanted to refer to safety razors alone, I'd call it - not entirely suprising - "safety razors".
To me, even the term "DE shaving" lacks precision, because this is not what it was originally called, and an audience "not in the know" would need to be told first what "DE" actually means.

But then again, it's one of the traits of the Internet that people can throw terminology around without having themselves a clear understanding of what they are saying.

B.

Last edited:
I've read many claiming, "I've dumped the cartridge razors and switched to "wet shaving" (inferring a DE razor). Isn't it all "wet" shaving if you're using water???
Indeed all shaving with a wet process is wet shaving, regardless of the type of blade used. Some confuse the terminology but it is not many.

I use the term " Traditional Shaving". As wet shaving includes any type of shaving where water or other liquid incuding shave creams and gels, is used to lubricate the skin.

It's the stupidest term ever. I "wet shaved" for decades with carts and canned goo before returning to where I started and should have stayed.

I like "traditional shaving" as noted above, but it will never catch on and we are stuck with the nonsensical "wet shaving." Language is supposed to communicate, and words mean things, but hey, whatever.

You are correct. "Wet Shaving" is a term with a broad meaning, but it has been co-opted by those of us who lather with soaps or creams, then take a single edge to our skin. Perhaps "Traditional Wet Shaving" would be more appropriate.

If there's water involved it's wet shaving. Frankly the phrase angers me very much because up until the invention of the electric it was the only way to shave which is what it should continue to be called. "SHAVING".

If you go to the store and buy a can of gel, foam goo, or cream and apply it to your face and shave, it is not wet.

If you mix the gel, foam or cream with water before applying, then it will be wet.

If you can get soap to work without water, then you're a genius!

Once you add water, you are wet shaving, doesn't matter what shaving system you are using.

That's my take on it...

I agree that "traditional shaving" is a more accurate depiction of this hobby.

Before returning to traditional shaving on Christmas 2013, I often, though not exclusively, used a cheap brush (which BTW shed hairs almost every shave) and VDH soap with a cartridge razor. On other occasions, I would use a shave gel or cream - Edge Gel or Barbsaol.

I guess with the brush and soap, I was half-way there.

I draw a distiction with canned foams and gels who's instructions read like "wash face, apply product, shave", with barely a mention of water. Most of these products benifit from a liberally wetted face, at the minimum, but the manufacturers don't want to clue the public in.

Top Bottom