What's new

Green Coffee Bean Roaster----Yes I know Im sorry

Tell me more about the I-Roast >>>

The I-Roast is about the size of a drip coffee maker. It roasts about one cup of beans at a time and takes somewhere in the range of 12-15 min per roast. The roasting time and temp are configurable so you can control the roast. Some beans are much more flavorful when roasted light. Green un-roasted beans can generally be purchased on the internet for about $5 per pound but maybe higher or lower depending on the quality and origin of the beans. I get a lot from here but there are plenty of other places to get roaster and beans. It makes great coffee. Once you start drinking fresh you can never go back. It's like wet shaving...

proxy.php

I used the Caffe Rosto for a couple years. It does an adequate job with a 'small' amount of beans. It ultimately wasn't what I wanted. Too small and I couldn't get the roast dark enough for my taste. http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/accessories/cafferosto

I've now gone to a bbq roaster for the last couple years. I roast 1 lb. at a time to my liking in about 35-40 minutes.
http://www.homeroaster.com/brockman.html I can roast up to 2 1/2 lbs at a time but that's too much for my house. I found that stainless can on Amazon but I can't find the link to it right now.

...Ray

My brother and I share a West Bend Poppery that I picked up off e-bay 2 1/2 years ago. It gets used almost every weekend. I usually get about 6oz in it and roast two batches (1 regular, 1 decaf) at a time.

There ya go!

Reminds me of a cartoon strip from back in the 60s, with Ed Sullivan on his TV show, introducing the next
act: "And now, a potpourri of popery..." (apologies to my Cat'lic friends)​

Anyway, I've been using a West Bend "Poppery II" for the past year-and-a-half (yes, it's still going strong), roasting (by volume) 2/3-cup of green beans at-a-time. It works like a champ, and voila! another "hobby"... and another AD! :tongue: :tongue:

You can find the stainless inserts for BBQ roasting on eBay, but the ones I found just now were a bit pricey - in the $90 range. Still, they should last almost forever.

How much coffee per batch can you roast in an I-Roast 2?

The I-Roast roasts 1 cup of green beans. I get two 8-cup pots out of a roast with a little left over so I would guess two 10-cup pots using one tablespoon of beans per cup. It takes three roasts to make a pound of roasted beans.

I upgraded from the Hearthware Precision to the I-roast 2 about a month ago. I will say this - the 2 presets on this machine are useless, especially for city or c+ batches. They start out too hot and seem to leave the inside of the bean noticeably underroasted (sour, grassy, undrinkable cups).

I've been experimenting with profiles using Sweet Maria's reference as a starting point and am getting dramatically better results.

I agree with Whitebar on this one. I have a Behmor, and generally like it, although it's tricky to get a darker roast. But being able to roast a pound at a time (a little less if you want to get it darker) is great. I have a Fresh Roast Plus 8 that I used before the Behmor. It ran me about $85, including 4 pounds of sample coffees from Sweet Marias. It was fast (good) but would only roast up enough for about 1 1/2 carafes of coffee - around 3-4 oz (not so good).

--Bob
My Behmor is on it's way to me as we speak,and I believe I'll be happy with it,with one caveat:How DO you do a darker roast with it?My daughter and I do enjoy the darker roasts.My friend,who already has a Behmor insists I'll really come to enjoy tasting the full flavor of the beans that is really only discernible in the lighter roasts.Still I'm skeptical.Steve.

My Behmor is on it's way to me as we speak,and I believe I'll be happy with it,with one caveat:How DO you do a darker roast with it?My daughter and I do enjoy the darker roasts.My friend,who already has a Behmor insists I'll really come to enjoy tasting the full flavor of the beans that is really only discernible in the lighter roasts.Still I'm skeptical.Steve.

It's very easy. Just put in less beans. For instance, tell it you're roasting 1 lb but put in 12 oz. You should be able to go way past 2nd crack all the way to fire if you want.

I would love a Hottop. They were just out of my price range when I when roaster shopping. I heard they make great coffee though.

Top Bottom