What's new

My experiences with Omega boar brushes

I have been a wet-shaver over one year.
As some other wet-shavers, my first brush is a best badger one.
Finding it is not a keeper very soon, I traded it out in B&B and becomes a boar guy from that on.
In the past year, I found Omega's boar brushes require more uses to get broken-in than Semogue's do.
Once Omega's boar brushes gets broken-in, it is not far behind a best badger brush.
(My first brush is a Simpsons colonel X2L)
Moreover, boar brushes are seldom shedders and too cheap to own only one brush.

I have begone to enjoy boars over badgers! Because they are so cheap I feel like I can abuse them and get more use of the brush.

My Omega boar has taken a beating in the few months I've been doing this. As Mischief said, mine was less then $10. So as I'm learning if what I do tests the limits and the brush gets ruined after a year or so, I won't feel as bad then a more expensive brush. It's been a champ thus far. Though mine does seem to shed a lot. But nothing significant has fallen out in chunks so I'm not too worried.

After starting this thread, I received PMs from a few very nice gents who told me that I should try Rooney or Shavemac badger brush.
First of all, I must appreciate these gents' very helpful advice.
Yes.
Shavemac was once on my list, but the prices deterred me at that time.
This means that the cost of trying a Shavemac is a bit high.
What I am curious about is do Shavemac badger brushes make a lot differences from Simpsons'.
Besides, I also believe curiosity killed the cat.
To try or not to try, that is the question.
HaHaHa...

Boars are great values. I agree 100+% with Vincent. Love my Semogues.

This is exactly how I would describe boars. Great value indeed.

My omega 10065 hasn't let me down. Sure it eats a bit of lather but it hasn't totally broken in yet. My Semogue 620 is coming in today, so I'm excited to try it for later!

They have a few medium sized brushes with short lofts that are very good values. When broken in they are very nice. I just don't like their cheap handles. If they had some options set in acrylic handles, I would be very pleased.

The most important thing is that you have found what works for you. I agree that boar brushes are great value and do a very good job, but disagree with your findings regarding Omega requiring more break-in than Semogue. My experience is exactly the opposite.

The most important thing is that you have found what works for you. I agree that boar brushes are great value and do a very good job, but disagree with your findings regarding Omega requiring more break-in than Semogue. My experience is exactly the opposite.

+1

My Semogue (1305) took longer than my Omega's (49, and B&B Essential) to break in. All of them are great brushes.

For me they are the perfect balance of softness and backbone. I use them both for face and bowl lathering.

I have never paid more than $15 for a brush in about 40 years of shaving. I bought 2 boars in the 1990s that once broken in were perfectly satisfying. One has been retired but my Semogue "pig bristle" as it was called when I bought it in Ireland in 1993 continues to perform, though it has been seriously challenged by the Plissoft & Omega synthetics for the past 6 months. Give any boar brush a solid 5-8 weeks of regular duty before passing judgement on it. Use it with a soap like Williams or Mitchell's so that it gets a solid workout. In your patience possess ye your souls.

I agree I love my omegas and wouldn't trade them for anything. I just wish they had a heavier handle. So I guess I would trade them for the the same bristles and heavier handle. Never mind.

+1. My experience also is that Semogues take longer to become broken in. (Think tips, not bloom.)

^ I think I'm going to agree as well. Just used my Semogue 620 yesterday, though the scritch for me is perfectly acceptable, it's the lather eating capabilities that needs work. I didn't have too much trouble with my Omega in this regard but something tells me Semogue will be a tougher nut to crack.

Just ordered an Omega 10048......should arrive tomorrow. This will be my second Boar.....first one was a VDH kit brush and I really liked it, until the knot disintegrated during a lathering after about 6 months. So, looking forward to receiving the Omega.......anxious to try MWF. But, thus far, my favorite brush is the RazoRock Plissoft.

I have both Omega and Semogue boar brushes. Once broken in, they compare favorably with high end badger brushes. I exclusively face lather, and the relatively stiff backbone combined with soft tips make them ideal for this.

Once broken in, they compare favorably with high end badger brushes. I exclusively face lather, and the relatively stiff backbone combined with soft tips make them ideal for this.

I agree with you.
As stout FL and Boar Power User I can't write better than this.

Top Bottom