What's new

Boston, MA

I don't know if this should be updated to the Wiki yet, but AOS is coming to the Burlington Mall. I was there last weekend and they still have the construction barrier up but it sounds like its coming very soon.

I happened to be at the Burlington mall this weekend and saw that. If you sign up for their "brotherhood" they will give you a free starter set when the store opens. (TheArtofShaving.com/grandopening). I usually go to Colonial Drugs in Harvard Square. But, driving/parking can be a pain in the winter, when compared to the incredible ease of biking in during the warmer months. I take 95 on my commute drive right past the mall, but am always looking for a smaller shop where you can get to know the owners/employees and they can get to know you.

When I joined B&B 'David in Boston' was kind to send me a list B&M stores around Boston (also posted on B&B). Here is an addition to that list.

A few days ago, I ended up on the Barber Mile in Lawrence, MA thanks to a GPS mess up. But dare I say, it was a a great serendipitous discovery. The stretch of Broadway (Rt. 28) from Lawrence to Methuen is filled with countless (yes, I exaggerate) barber shops and beauty salons. To supply to this crowd there are at least 6 to 7 barber supply stores, including La Vecina (the same chain as the one in Jamaica Plain that sells the cheap Astra pillars). Here are a few of the stuff I found in these stores

- Arko (a few AS, creams, no stick)
- Derby (all varieties of the shave cream) for 1.99 each.
- Astra SP, Derby, Dorco, Personna (several kinds) and some Chinese blades I can't remember now.
- A bunch of Lucky Tiger products
- A bunch of Clubman products
- Marvy
- Barbicide
- Master lotions
- Lustaray lotions
- Superior 70

just too many of them.

Do let me know when you plan to make a trip. Perhaps I can drive up there and pick you up. A good reason to meet a B&B veteran for me.

When I joined B&B 'David in Boston' was kind to send me a list B&M stores around Boston (also posted on B&B). Here is an addition to that list.

A few days ago, I ended up on the Barber Mile in Lawrence, MA thanks to a GPS mess up. But dare I say, it was a a great serendipitous discovery. The stretch of Broadway (Rt. 28) from Lawrence to Methuen is filled with countless (yes, I exaggerate) barber shops and beauty salons. To supply to this crowd there are at least 6 to 7 barber supply stores, including La Vecina (the same chain as the one in Jamaica Plain that sells the cheap Astra pillars). Here are a few of the stuff I found in these stores

- Arko (a few AS, creams, no stick)
- Derby (all varieties of the shave cream) for 1.99 each.
- Astra SP, Derby, Dorco, Personna (several kinds) and some Chinese blades I can't remember now.
- A bunch of Lucky Tiger products
- A bunch of Clubman products
- Marvy
- Barbicide
- Master lotions
- Lustaray lotions
- Superior 70

just too many of them.

Excellent. I work in North Reading. Thank you.

Sort of on-topic, but does anyone know of a B&M in the Boston area that sells Proraso? I'm looking especially for the splash. I tried Colonial and Leavitt & Peirce today and no luck. I figure maybe a place in the North End?

Sort of on-topic, but does anyone know of a B&M in the Boston area that sells Proraso? I'm looking especially for the splash. I tried Colonial and Leavitt & Peirce today and no luck. I figure maybe a place in the North End?

Maybe give Stoddard's in Newton a call. They carry a small selection of stuff including Cella but I can't remember if they had Proraso. http://www.stoddards.com/

Leavitt & Peirce has "Omega" which is the same thing basically.

Leavitt & Peirce has "Omega" which is the same thing basically.

Yeah, but I don't think Omega makes a splash nor did I see anything there. They certainly had a lot of interesting splashes but I'm going full-Proraso and its annoying to have to order it since its alcohol-based and takes a while to arrive.

Incidentally, Colonial really cleaned out a lot of their stuff. Maybe they moved it behind the counter or something, but gone were a lot of TOBS and GFT products. Castle Forbes was prominent displayed and James Brommley as well. They used to carry Omega there (I got a tub of the soft soap there last year) but they don't have it anymore. Like I wrote, maybe they put it behind the counter or something, but they had about half the variety they usually have.

How about here? http://www.razorsbarbershop.com/ in Somerville.

We also have a Shave Shop, stocked with straight/safety razors, shave brushes/mugs, and classic/hard-to-find shave products (which is located in the back of the Barbershop).

Buy ANY shaving cream (any brand) and get 40% off Musgo or Proraso aftershave

FYI, the AOS at the Burlington Mall is now open. I was told that they will start offering shaves in about two weeks because they need to get the approval for the barber's license. Its very nice looking inside.

What the hell. They never sent me my free starter kit coupon. Those bastards.
FYI, the AOS at the Burlington Mall is now open. I was told that they will start offering shaves in about two weeks because they need to get the approval for the barber's license. Its very nice looking inside.

What the hell. They never sent me my free starter kit coupon. Those bastards.

I went to the mall Saturday and checked out the store, it is very nice. I thought of mentioning the "Brotherhood" deal, but the store was pretty busy so I didn't say anything. I got the email yesterday for my starter kit. I looked at the kit online after getting the coupon, looks good for travel.

Hey guys, I am not sure if im breaking any rules by bumping this, but...

Colonial Drug has moved.

Its address:

Colonial Drug
350 Watertown St
Newton, MA 02458

Newton is a suburb of Boston, which borders Cambridge. They did not move too far.

Top Bottom