What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

Little mini review from two shaves. My container is extremely soft. You can't really swirl the brush in it. I just scooped out a little blob and lathered that. Lathered super easy. The scent is a bit medicinal to me. Almost like Proraso Green and Speick creams mixed together is the best I could describe it. Shave was great. Overall just a real nice product.

Every time I get a new RazoRock product, it becomes my new favorite. Mudder, SoZ, XXX...all great. My eagerly awaited jar of Santa Maria came today and since I needed to shave I went right at it. This one has to be one of the best soaps available. I haven't tried Xpec or MdC (I'll never pay those prices), but this ones performance has to be damn close. This stuff is so damn good, it's got the nice jar, good price, great scent, simple ingredients, menthol and post shave face conditioning. A few drops of Alt Innsbruck to finish it all off left my face in great shape. You dudes at Italian Barber are the best!

Little mini review from two shaves. My container is extremely soft. You can't really swirl the brush in it. I just scooped out a little blob and lathered that. Lathered super easy. The scent is a bit medicinal to me. Almost like Proraso Green and Speick creams mixed together is the best I could describe it. Shave was great. Overall just a real nice product.
I think I read to air out the jar after use then seal it up.

Mine came today; haven't shaved with it yet but the scent might be the nicest of any soap I've had. I may have missed it in the thread but for those of you that have received it and are into fragrances, is there a cologne or EDT that smells like this? If there isn't there ought to be and if there is I will be ordering a bottle.

Mine arrived today also.
totally smells like SMN Tabacco Toscano cologne.
almost as if they simply buy a bottle of the cologne to batch up 50 to 100 jars of soap?

Mine arrived today also.
totally smells like SMN Tabacco Toscano cologne.
almost as if they simply buy a bottle of the cologne to batch up 50 to 100 jars of soap?

Okay, appreciate it. I looked it up, pricier than I am used to (probably not for a good fragrance but I think my limit has been around $50-$60) but it's one of best scents I have ever smelled. May have to splurge.

Shaved this morning with SMF, it was superb overall.
As promised, I'll shave tomorrow with its SMN mentor and offer comments.

Meanwhile, as I stared at the nice package, it dawned on me that Razorock is really developing a clever hybrid, with SMN-like soap packaged like MdC.
Here are some comparative shots...

$razorock smf comp 01.jpg
$razorock smf comp 02.jpg
$razorock smf comp 03.jpg
$razorock smf comp 04.jpg
$razorock smf comp 05.jpg

Last edited:
I had my first shave with it today, it's a great croap. The scent changed considerably on lathering, more of the menthol and camphor came out. Very nice. The amount of menthol in it was just right imo, you know it's there but it's not ice cold. Face feel was good after the shave and it was very slick and cushioning. Easy to lather. Zero complaints.
This month I picked up this and a puck of Saponificio Varesino Shaving Soap. Wasn't even planning on buying any new soap for a while and now I have two new favorites, really not sure which one I like better.

Shaved this morning with SMF, it was superb overall.
As promised, I'll shave tomorrow with its SMN mentor and offer comments./QUOTE]

I am very much looking forward to your comparison.

I am also hoping that your comparison does not lead to my having to purchase the SMN cream when next I'm in NYC. :frown2:

I used this soap over the weekend as well as a few test lathers in preparation. I must say the scent is intoxicating and probably the best attribute, probably the best scent (for me) since the original AdP/XXX. The slickness is excellent and the cushion and post-shave face feel are both above average to good. It does lather rather easily, though I still take a few minutes to face lather to enjoy the brush of the day. The menthol kick is perfect for me, present but not face freezing, and intensifies a little with each successive pass. I'm not close to calling this the best soap ever made, but it may just be the best soap to come with a RazoRock label on it. I will hold back on a full review until I get a chance to use it for a full week, but I am confident enough to say that this definitely gets a "Buy" recommendation from me.

Well, I shaved this morning with the Santa Maria Novella, to offer a crude comparison to the Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore of yesterday.
As in previous shaves with SMN, it reminds me of Proraso Green, with the menthol, camphor eucalyptus combo underneath light tobacco scent.
Possibly SMN is 'brighter', a bit more menthol/camphor note than Razorock SMF.
And the RR SMF seemed to show a deeper tobacco note.
I have to say, the RR SMF was a thicker, richer lather than SMN, but that is a difficult call with only a couple shaves since water amounts can vary so much from shave to shave.
Could it be that RR was aiming to dial up the lather cushion, to bring in something akin to MdC?
In any case, both are excellent, top-tier shave creams, with the major difference being the value price tag on the RR.
Just my 2c!

$santa maria novella revisor tobacco tabacco toscano june 15 2015.jpg

Top Bottom