What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

Sadly I still don't know what treewhaling is

Treewhaling is when you drop out of a shave purchase sabbatical by ordering a ridiculous amount of stuff. It's like not eating all day long and then just going to town at a buffet. Named after Treewhale here.

Treewhaling is when you drop out of a shave purchase sabbatical by ordering a ridiculous amount of stuff. It's like not eating all day long and then just going to town at a buffet. Named after Treewhale here.

Danke good sir. Wasn't sure if there was an infamous thread attached to the title.

This is the best soap I've ever used in my 3 years of wet shaving. There is no need for aftershave or cream with this baby. Your face feels like a Buddha when your done. I highly suggest that if joe does release more every needs this in their den its that good . $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434066875.557791.jpg

I strayed from 3017ing my Palmolive stick and gave the RR SMDF a try. I'm impressed. I generally avoid soaps that have a cologne influence (there are occasional exceptions); however, this is very pleasantly scented and I like it. As for performance, this soap is excellent.

Over the years, I've tried to take each "new" soap/product in stride. The hype surrounding many LE soaps has often put me off of buying it. At the same time, I've always read the excited reviews written by my fellow members because I simply could not resist doing so.

This soap felt great on my face both during and after the shave. It lathered easily and gave me two easy passes (plus a bit of touch up) using my Feather Artist Club razor. The lather dried slightly towards the end of the second pass, but I'll chaulk that up to user error. Honestly, I swirled the brush a few times and made a very quick face lather. I probably could've added some more water.

This is is a classy product, both in presentation and content. A fine value, IMHO and another great addition to the RazoRock lineup.

I also tried mine for the first time this morning. Slickness is excellent and I had no issues with the lather drying out. I used a small boar brush (vintage German Standart 20mm) which struggled in holding a full three passes of lather but I managed to get it done. The third pass was done with a very thin coat of lather, which was not ideal but sufficient. Tomorrow I will use it again with my Rooney Stubby 2XL 2-band for further research. The scent is very nicely done, mild yet lingers throughout the shave. The menthol is subdued and intensifies with each application but never gets above a moderate chill, which is good because I'm not a fan of face-freezers. I will hold back on making claims as to how good this soap is until a few more shaves, but initial impressions are very positive.

I also tried mine for the first time this morning. Slickness is excellent and I had no issues with the lather drying out. I used a small boar brush (vintage German Standart 20mm) which struggled in holding a full three passes of lather but I managed to get it done. The third pass was done with a very thin coat of lather, which was not ideal but sufficient. Tomorrow I will use it again with my Rooney Stubby 2XL 2-band for further research. The scent is very nicely done, mild yet lingers throughout the shave. The menthol is subdued and intensifies with each application but never gets above a moderate chill, which is good because I'm not a fan of face-freezers. I will hold back on making claims as to how good this soap is until a few more shaves, but initial impressions are very positive.

Sounds great Dave, how would you describe the scent?

It is fairly complex, but I would describe it as a cured tobacco with a hint of leather softened by vanilla and eucalyptus. While the description may not sound like anything but a deep Winter scent the blend is pure mastery and somehow clean feeling.

It is fairly complex, but I would describe it as a cured tobacco with a hint of leather softened by vanilla and eucalyptus. While the description may not sound like anything but a deep Winter scent the blend is pure mastery and somehow clean feeling.

Along the lines of what Dave said...I'd describe it as clean, masculine. Nice scent.

Mine arrived today! Of course, just a bit too late to use it for today's shave lol!

Just want to cross check with you guys... Is the consistency a thick cream?

Scent from the tub and linger on my finger reminds me ALOT of XX with a touch more eucalyptus. Honestly XX is not one I like really. There is enough difference here though for me to be optimistic and still eager to try.

Here's to hoping! Oh and I agree, the glass jar and double quantity is a nice presentation!

Got a jar coming tomorrow, looking forward to trying it out. I missed it the first time around. It has been hot and humid here and a nice mentholated soap with lanolin sounds perfect.

Mine arrived today! Of course, just a bit too late to use it for today's shave lol!

Scent from the tub and linger on my finger reminds me ALOT of XX with a touch more eucalyptus. Honestly XX is not one I like really. There is enough difference here though for me to be optimistic and still eager to try.

Here's to hoping! Oh and I agree, the glass jar and double quantity is a nice presentation!

Mine was superr soft on arrival, but airing it out after first use got it to usual RazoRock consistency

To my nose they are very different. The scent out of the jar is not the same as what you will experience after the shave. I pick up more of a rustic tobacco scent and vanilla with eucalyptus. This soap friggin rocks. Like some of the others I did not even use an AS afterwards. This is scent should be classified as the scent of a gentleman. Imagine seeing some movie star dressed to the nines in a cigar shop. That's what I feel like the scent would be best suited to. Not overpowering but just plain marvellous.

I assumed what they are selling is a renamed version of the SMN. This link appears to be the same product no?

http://www.santamarianovellausa.com/product/10453.html#.VXwsTkYYH0c

This is the best soap I've ever used in my 3 years of wet shaving. There is no need for aftershave or cream with this baby. Your face feels like a Buddha when your done. I highly suggest that if joe does release more every needs this in their den its that good . View attachment 578614

What brush is that under there?

Mine is extremely soft like if you squirted out a whole tube of proraso green in a jar (consistency not scent).

Also Joe usually is pretty creative in his names. Santa Maria del Fiore Firenze is Saint Mary of the Flower, Florence. Referencing the Florence Cathedral. Santa Maria Novella is a basilica (church) also in Florence. I would guess it is like how he named his other soaps like ABCBA. Similar but different names.

John...Bang on regarding the consistency. It arrived appearing as a very thick cream. After a couple of days of airing out, it is a bit less cream like.

I used it again today. A few more swirls and some more water, it was an excellent lather. I'm happy with this one. I've really been digging my Palmolive stick, but may switch to this SMDF for the duration. Or alternate the two...We'll see.

Top Bottom