What's new

Sid Mashburn-thoughts?

I had not heard of this store and have not been by the fairly recently opened Washington, DC site.

However, my 24 year-old son asked me about getting a $1,200 plus suit there. Apparently someone in his office thought this price level of Sid Mashburn suits was a terrific value, meaning, I guess, as good as suits costing several thousand dollars. It has also gotten some press about the quality of these suits for the price.

My son works for an international consulting firm and could justify having one excellent suit, certainly if he could get something really special for $1,200. He would want it to be classically styled so as not to go quickly out of style, although it probably should not be styled as stodgily as what I would be wearing. (At this price range I would probably be looking at something like Oxxford (and not directly from an "authorized dealer") or, maybe, J. Press.) He is fairly athletically built, if that helps.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sid Mashburn? Alternatives?

I live in Toronto and we have a small number of independent menswear stores, two large Canadian chains (Holt Renfrew and Harry Rosen) that cater to the high end market, and a few Brooks Brothers locations (glad they arrived), I wish there was a Sid Mashburn in Greater Toronto because I like the classic style they sell. Both Holts and Harry's along with the independents cater to those who love the super sleek European look. To supplement BB, I would love a Sid to show up on the scene.

Last edited:
I've been to the one in Atlanta. The suits & jackets ran too close to trendy for my taste. Some excellent shirts and fantastic footwear. I'd choose J. Press for the suit.

I've been to the one in Atlanta. The suits & jackets ran too close to trendy for my taste. Some excellent shirts and fantastic footwear. I'd choose J. Press for the suit.

Thanks for the input, Henry. The too close to trendy for you tells me a lot. Fantastic footwear is an interesting comment. The shoes seemed very expensive and not particularly amazing in the pictures to me. (I assume someone well-known is making the shoes for it, so that could be tracked down.) Certainly not as amazing as some of the photos you have posted of what you own. And regarding shirts, my son's colleague who is so into the Mashburn suits, gets his shirts at Suit Supply. I do not know if he is as enthusiastic about Suit Supply shirts as he is about Mashburn suits, but I am taking it that he is not so enthusiastic about Mashburn shirts as he is about its suits, unless the shirts are greater increments in price.

Do you think J Press works for the 24 year old?

Thanks,

Top Bottom