What's new

My Guess... 3017

Well... as much as I hoped, the Haslinger is not quite dead. I still have to shave today. But this tiny sliver is unkillable! I'll update my total count tomorrow.

Did my 7th shave on the Don Marco. It started out at 5.3oz total and now it's at 4.6oz that's about 1.3g/shave. I'm using a SOC cherry brush and loading up for about 25 sec.

I think towards the end I'll start getting about 2 - 2 1/2 grams per shave. At this rate I'm looking at around 45 shaves total.

I can't think of a single complaint at all about the shaves I am getting with Col Conk Bay Rum. But, I'll work on it, pretty sure this soap isn't supposed to be that good. Really enjoying each morning so far:thumbup:

My journey to use it up:
3/24/14--4/18/14 - Stirling Barbershop - 50 total lathers (face and head)
4/19/14--5/10/14 - Godrej Cool Menthol - about 25 lathers with daily face shaving and every other day head shave.
5/11/14--5/14/14 - Stirling Glacial Wintergreen (sample puck) - 6 total lathers (face and head)
5/15/14--5/16-14 - homemade bay rum soap sample - 2 face lathers, 2 head lathers
5/17/14--5/21/14 - TSD SubZero sample - did not enjoy the scent at all
5/22/14--7/05/14 - Tiki Set Sail - vegan, really enjoyed this soap.
7/06/14--? - Stirling Spice - full puck

I think I got a little more than 60 lathers out of the Tiki Set Sail - head and face shaves. I am keeping records now for the Stirling. I want to get a few more lathers out of this puck of Stirling compared to my last one.

I also burned through the Stirling soaps, though I think they are made to be burned through. So, you may be doing everything right, don't try to preserve the soap!

Still working on the RR American Blend. Today I loaded my SOC for 1 full minute. It pulled 2.6g from the puck. A bit over the top, but, it was a heckuva lather. Good for 8 passes, but I only needed 3.

Once I'm finished cooking lunches for the week, Nancy Boy Blossomwood is on the 3017 table - along with its sister bar soap!

I'll be working on a 60g container; I expect this to last 20-25 shaves.

Once I'm finished cooking lunches for the week, Nancy Boy Blossomwood is on the 3017 table - along with its sister bar soap!

I'll be working on a 60g container; I expect this to last 20-25 shaves.

You will enjoy that. I'm 3017'ing a full size tub of the original scent. Got 2 more shaves I'd guess. I've also used the matching bar soap during the whole time. All of it has been fantastic. NB makes some great stuff.

brucered

System Generated
I 3017'd a jar of Signature Cream and the matching balm last year....fantastic stuff.

The bath bars are very nice too. I remember thinking I had never seen such a huge bar when one was thrown in as the monthly bonus with my order.

NB almost makes me want to sell off my hard soaps and go strictly with them for shave cream. Last night's shave was a delight.

brucered

System Generated
NB almost makes me want to sell off my hard soaps and go strictly with them for shave cream. Last night's shave was a delight.
If they hadn't cut off shipping to Canada, I'd have thought about going with them as my sole cream product.

But Proraso Tubes works just as well for me, available from IB and much cheaper. Doesn't smell as good as NB though, that's for sure.

So, 57 shaves so far with Haslinger Schafmilch. I thought for sure, I'd kill it over the weekend. I should probably take a picture to post of the tiny sliver that's left. You wouldn't think I could get more shaves out of it, but this stuff is deceptive, I tell you! Gonna do my best to kill it before 60 shaves... but I give up estimating when it will be through. I've been using it almost exclusively since February (deviated 7 times for travel and special events). I need to figure out a way to shave more than 3.3 times a week.

So, 57 shaves so far with Haslinger Schafmilch. I thought for sure, I'd kill it over the weekend. I should probably take a picture to post of the tiny sliver that's left. You wouldn't think I could get more shaves out of it, but this stuff is deceptive, I tell you! Gonna do my best to kill it before 60 shaves... but I give up estimating when it will be through. I've been using it almost exclusively since February (deviated 7 times for travel and special events). I need to figure out a way to shave more than 3.3 times a week.

A single WTG pass for the win! :laugh:

Of course, you would have to be happy with a SAS/CCS everyday but you get to shave everyday and "experience" more soaps

A single WTG pass for the win! :laugh:

Of course, you would have to be happy with a SAS/CCS everyday but you get to shave everyday and "experience" more soaps

My intention for the last 10 shaves or so began like that. But when I realized how much delicious lather was left in the brush, my razor just started shaving my face without me really thinking about it. That's the point of 3017ing right? Enjoying every shave? :D

That's why I started going for 3+ passes. When I had 5 passes worth of product in the bowl, might as well use it!

I've got three shaves now on my RazoRock XXX. Might just turn that into a 3017. Not in love with the scent, but the performance is fantastic. Smells like orange and grapefruit with a dash of cologne?

My current product status:

New soaps/creams:
RazoRock XXX (150g)
TOBS Mr Taylor (150g)
TOBS Sandalwood (150g)
3x CO Bigelow (150g)
VDH Deluxe x2 (70g)
Arko (90g)

Used soaps/creams
Arko in a bowl (~30g left)
Tabac (~45g left)
Cella (~50g left)
Pre de Provence (~75g left)
2x AOS cream samples (~15g left each)

There's probably a couple more I'm forgetting too.

I figure I could probably get close to three months out of XXX. Then work on Tabac for Tabactober (naturally). Then maybe work on some TOBS until it gets stupid Minnesota cold outside and use the PdP.

Last edited:
That's why I started going for 3+ passes. When I had 5 passes worth of product in the bowl, might as well use it!

I've got three shaves now on my RazoRock XXX. Might just turn that into a 3017. Not in love with the scent, but the performance is fantastic. Smells like orange and grapefruit with a dash of cologne?

My current product status:

New soaps/creams:
RazoRock XXX (150g)
TOBS Mr Taylor (150g)
TOBS Sandalwood (150g)
3x CO Bigelow (150g)
VDH Deluxe x2 (70g)
Arko (90g)

Used soaps/creams
Arko in a bowl (~30g left)
Tabac (~45g left)
Cella (~50g left)
Pre de Provence (~75g left)
2x AOS cream samples (~15g left each)

There's probably a couple more I'm forgetting too.

I figure I could probably get close to three months out of XXX. Then work on Tabac for Tabactober (naturally). Then maybe work on some TOBS until it gets stupid Minnesota cold outside and use the PdP.

:lol: Might be time for a PIF. The 2 extra Bigelow tubes and the extra VDH Deluxe should take you at least 6 months to work through, maybe a year!

Weighed my Stirling Frozen Tundra this morning after 9 more shaves. Averaged around 1.9 grams/shave. No doubt I've reduced loading looking at that calculation.

No reduction in shave performance, just rinsing less down the drain. I also tried a few bowl lathers and that is nice because I can really drip in the water without it running off my face. I may end up with a bit of a hybrid method.

That brings my overall average down to around 2.5 grams/shave.

3.3oz left but that includes the bottom half of the tin. The top half weighs 0.9oz so probably around 2oz of soap yet. I suspect it will be August before this one is finished up.

Truth be told, I went to a milder razor because the one I really liked was too efficient. I could go nearly three days without shaving with a Progress and a Feather, so I had to toss blades after two shaves. Felt weird to shave only twice a week.

If they hadn't cut off shipping to Canada, I'd have thought about going with them as my sole cream product.

But Proraso Tubes works just as well for me, available from IB and much cheaper. Doesn't smell as good as NB though, that's for sure.

I'd send some NB to you, but I think that doing so would break sabbatical. Not that I could go through three full-sized jars in six months anyway.

Truth be told, I went to a milder razor because the one I really liked was too efficient. I could go nearly three days without shaving with a Progress and a Feather, so I had to toss blades after two shaves. Felt weird to shave only twice a week.

Which razor? It's not the blue tip I sent you, is it?

Top Bottom