What's new

PIF: New Piper's Privilege

Good people of the BL,

I have been the beneficiary of both good fortune and skillful manipulation of pipe acquisition disorder. As such, I find myself well equipped with fine smoking pieces. However, I still hold dear my first pipes. And now with the pipe rack overflowing, it's time to pass them on to another beginner or someone with a more sanity-driven pipe budget.

I have loved every one of these guys, and they're looking for a new home. Good smokers, all.

If you are a new pipe smoker or have a limited rotation, reply to this thread with the phrase "New Piper PIF June 2014". Only those replies that contain that exact phrase will be included. From those replies containing the PIF phrase, posted before midnight on Friday night (Eastern Time), I will select three recipients using random.org's number generator. Each selected reply will receive one of the following in the order drawn.

UPDATE: Holy crap, I forgot to add that right now I can only do domestic shipping in the USA. Sorry for anybody that replied from my international brothers and/or sisters.

First, there is a Parker "Duke" bent apple. Thick walls and a moderately sized bowl are perfect for someone just starting out - darned near impossible to get this sucker too hot.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Second is a Lane-era Charatan's Make cross-grain billiard with some attractive birdseye. This guy has a replacement stem (the original was a "double comfort" saddle bit), and a previous owner charred the rim a touch, but it's still a Charatan and smokes very nicely. This was the second pipe I ever bought.

proxy.php

proxy.php

And finally, we have a prime example that demonstrates price is not always an indicator of quality, or lack thereof. This is a no-name Canadian with a striated acrylic bit and a surprisingly nice cross-grain. It was originally unfinished, and has darkened to its current walnut hue over the years. I am really sad to let this one go - it's a fantastic smoker, attractive, and a great bargain. This is a pipe that says "I smoke pipes, not collect them".

proxy.php

proxy.php

Good luck and happy PIFing!

Last edited:
Some absolutely beautiful birdseye in the Billiard and Canadian. This is really generous of you. Very nice!

Caveman, it's time to try a briar pipe! :001_smile

Not in... as I have the same problem of an overflowing pipe rack as you do. I actually need a new one... cuz I ran out of spots a while ago.

Great PIF though... very generous of you.

Caveman, it's time to try a briar pipe! :001_smile

I know, and this would be a great way for me to do it...but I just can't get past the ick factor of a used pipe, even from a trusted B&B member. I know there's nothing to be bothered by, and in general I'm pretty good at taking in stride all manner of much more icky used things, but somehow I can't get past that mental roadblock for pipes. It's a shame because I've refused offers in PM and I've avoided PIFs. I could be swimming in briars by now. B&B, and especially BL, folks are a generous and gentlemanly bunch!

Wonderfully generous PIF, though!

I know, and this would be a great way for me to do it...but I just can't get past the ick factor of a used pipe, even from a trusted B&B member. I know there's nothing to be bothered by, and in general I'm pretty good at taking in stride all manner of much more icky used things, but somehow I can't get past that mental roadblock for pipes. It's a shame because I've refused offers in PM and I've avoided PIFs. I could be swimming in briars by now. B&B, and especially BL, folks are a generous and gentlemanly bunch!

Wonderfully generous PIF, though!

Come on man...96% grain alcohol and kosher salt will kill anything!

New Piper PIF June 2014
Good morning, sir! I just got my first pipe on monday with some Captain Black-White.

Thanks for the opportunity! And thanks to all the other folks in the Brown Leaf for helping me take the plunge.

All three pieces will be cleaned and the bits sanitized with a long alcohol soak prior to shipping.

Top Bottom