What's new

Brotherhood of the Open Comb

Sorry. We won't stop you. In fact, we want pictures! (No need to include your wife in the pictures, though. We won't hasten your impending demise! :) )

You might include pics of what you look like when she's done with you after she finds out. We might be able to set you up as the Anti-RAD Poster Child.

since every post about a OC is better with pics....here's the new Parker 26C!!

$parker.jpg$parker2.jpg$parker3.jpg

I'm in, I shave with a ikon deluxe OC. Love it :)

In huh? I don't sees no pics, I don't sees no goat. Gee, I dunno! There's standards here see ? ? ?

You get 3 "uninitiated" posts before we come to your house and take your Fatboy and Dovo, and melt them down to make a studded collar for Spotz.....or you can

1. Put BOTOC in your signature.
2. Ask the members here for the onion and goat.
3. Keep us abreast of your OC journeys with post and pics.
4. (This is a must) Trade the Fatboy and Dovo for a vintage/new OC razor.
5. Have fun

oh...and just to secure my loyalty to this exclusive brotherhood....here's a pic of my newest OC (and yes the Parker was the newest OC yesterday)....my 50th b-day presents, the new R41 and my Semogue SOC boar with cherry handle!!...the R41 will wait until Sat...while I continue to break in the Parker and get started with the SOC.....ahhhh OC life is treating me well!!

$r41-SOC.jpg

Nice pics, Sci. Maybees you could go over an' visit with TheConverted fella. Explains how it's done. This is for you:

$safety_goat.jpg

Make sure ya take the safeties off when ya visit.

oh...and just to secure my loyalty to this exclusive brotherhood....here's a pic of my newest OC (and yes the Parker was the newest OC yesterday)....my 50th b-day presents, the new R41 and my Semogue SOC boar with cherry handle!!...the R41 will wait until Sat...while I continue to break in the Parker and get started with the SOC.....ahhhh OC life is treating me well!!

View attachment 431982

Congratulations on the half century, Sci. Very nice!

A friend of mine bought 4 Gillette NEWs on eBay a couple of weeks ago. But he is always on eBay. I never used it myself.
Now here is the sad part, he doesn't even use a DE razor, he uses his Sensor. He bought them just to have.

Last edited:
A question:

While admiring my ball-end NEW, I noticed the handle had "Patent 1920. Other Patents Pending" or something similar stamped in it, just above the "ball. I know there's no date codes, and this makes it difficult to precisely date these razors, but I'm wondering if this might narrow it down a bit? Did the NEW have this marking throughout the run, or were other patent dates added after new patents were approved (or the language removed if patents were rejected)?
You sure you have a NEW, you may a New Improved....
Old Type razors made after August 2, 1921 have no serial numbers on the cap guard.The cap and guard designation for these is The # 102 A model, The handle should be labeled: Pat.Jan. 13, 1920 / Other Pats. Pending .

Last edited:
A question:

While admiring my ball-end NEW, I noticed the handle had "Patent 1920. Other Patents Pending" or something similar stamped in it, just above the "ball. I know there's no date codes, and this makes it difficult to precisely date these razors, but I'm wondering if this might narrow it down a bit? Did the NEW have this marking throughout the run, or were other patent dates added after new patents were approved (or the language removed if patents were rejected)?
Patent 1920....
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1328024.pdf

I think this may date your razor to the earlier years of production. I have a bar handle gold NEW that has two patent numbers and a reissued patent number stamped under the head.

Yes, those are the NEW razor reissue patents by new owner Gaisman.

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Gillette_NEW_Razors
The NEW razors were initially manufactured without any patent numbers. Later examples are stamped with three patents.

• "REISSUE PAT. NO. 17567" (US0RE017567). This US patent was originally numbered 1658435 (US1658435) and was issued to Henry J. Gaisman of Auto Strop, as part of his development of the Probak razor and blade brand. This patent covered the studs used by the Probak and Goodwill razors, and the rails used by the NEW. Filed 6 Oct 1923; issued 7 Feb 1928; reissue application 19 Nov 1929; reissued 14 Jan 1930.
  • "PAT. NO. 1815745" (US1815745). Filed by Ralph Thompson for Gillette, this patent covers the reinforced corners of the NEW cap. Filed 25 Apr 1929; refiled 3 Dec 1930; issued 21 July 1931.
  • "PAT. NO. 1858316" (US1858316). Filed by Ralph Thompson for Gillette, this patent covers blade modifications to accomodate the reinforced corners of the NEW cap. Filed 30 Jul 1930; issued 17 May 1932

Last edited:
Top Bottom