What's new

10,000 Posts and a New Ball Glove!

Hey guys. Trust me.... this is shaving related.... and you'll see why. But first, let me say that I am 38 years old and have owned a total of 3 baseball gloves in my entire lifetime.... the most recent one (a Rawlings) lasted me that last 22 years. When I was five years old, I received a little Franklin imitation leather mitt from Santa :001_rolle. That lasted me for 2 or 3 seasons. Then I got a nice all leather Rawlings glove, sort of all purpose although I played pretty much 3rd base and no other position. Later I got moved back and forth between the corners, playing a little one bagger in addition to the hot corner. Then, I started pitching as well.... which continued through high school. I got my most recent glove when I started playing high school ball.

After years of coaching my two sons, last year while at practice with my then 11 year olds baseball team, the leather lace on my glove finally snapped. One of the boys took it and tied it up... kind of make shift.... and I've just been careful with it since. Until today:

$DSCN7042.jpg$DSCN7045.jpg$DSCN7043.jpg

I present my dream glove.... made for a pitcher or 3rd baseman. The Nokona Classic Walnut WB-1200. It's a 12 inch fielder's mitt. Looks great and it was on sale at my local sporting goods store. Great quality leather.... still needs broken in though.

Which leads me to the "shaving" aspect of the story. I was in a sporting goods store once a couple years ago buying a mitt for my son, and the salesman mentioned that instead of using oil to break in the glove.... some Barbesol Foamy would be ideal.... because it wouldn't weigh the glove down. He said in the off season to use some oil and let it soak in.... but since I was buying it at the beginning of the season, he said that shaving foam would work the best. So.... I actually tried this out. I had an old can of Gillette Shaving Foam that I obviously have no other use for.... and I squirted just a bit into the palm of the glove and began the break in process. I didn't use a lot. I don't know how valid this guy's claim is.... but I couldn't resist trying it.... since I see no other use for the Gillette Foam!!

Oh.... and I just reached ten grand with my last post. I feel like a kid again. Spring's around the corner and I'm thankful for all the help and friends here at B&B!

Ben

Congrats Ben! I've always been more into wrestling and hockey, but I must say that that is a lovely glove. Let us know how well the Gillette foam worked on breaking it in!

Wow............congratulations all like reading your post................nice glove, never heard about shaving cream for a glove why not......we used to clean our gloves with saddle soap

I have a Nakona, too (a little bigger though). I have always loved it. I coached high school ball for 11 years, but "retired" once my first daughter was born. As I type this, I'm bouncing around spring training games on MLB.TV. It's almost time for warm weather and baseball!

FWIW, I always gave my Nakona a coat of plain old vasoline for about 24 hours, and then wiped it off with a towel at the beginning and end of each season. I still do it twice a year (even though it doesn't get much use these days). Looking forward to start coaching instructional baseball/softball next year. Enjoy that awesome glove.

I don't play anymore, but recently looked at some of the latest glove offerings at a local sporting goods store. What I found were gorgeous, but talk about expensive! Along way from the A2000's I played with. The ones I tried on smelled so nice, I had this incredible urge to take the mound right then and there. Mr. Citizen, the one you have there looks perfect!

Wow on both the 10k and the beauty of a glove! I need a new glove and heard great things about the Nakona. Write a review of it on here ;)

Ben, congratulations on the new glove and the post count! I see you take some lovely pics! You know you could do that with your shaving gear and posted in the SOTD! :biggrin1:

Thanks guys! I guess usually when someone is showing off a new piece of leather around here they are using it to strop and sharp piece of steel. My son's baseball team had practice this afternoon (indoors.... 12 degrees F right now outside in Ohio). I didn't get a chance to play catch with it during practice though. I did force my 12 year old son to play catch with me outside after practice for a few minutes.... just to get the feel of the glove. Feels great. Still very stiff.... but I can tell it's going to work very well. Should last me the rest of my life I imagine.

Ben

Nice glove - I always heard about the shaving cream trick, but never tried it....did put my sons glove in the oven for a few minutes, which is also a popular method these days...I gotta say it worked pretty good!

Nice glove - I always heard about the shaving cream trick, but never tried it....did put my sons glove in the oven for a few minutes, which is also a popular method these days...I gotta say it worked pretty good!

Yeah, some of the guys at my son's practice today were talking about some kind of foam that you spray on the glove and then you put it in the oven.... and it worked pretty good. My last glove I used mink oil I believe, and it almost made it too floppy. Ha.... kind sounds like breaking in the boar talk! I wonder when the tips of my glove will split and get nice and soft :biggrin1: .

Ben

My first glove was a Rawlings too. Played pitcher & short stop. Fun times! Congrats on the new glove!

Rawlings make very highly rated gloves as well.... just none of the ones in the sporting goods store I was in were nearly the quality of this Nokona. Thanks!!

Ben

Top Bottom