What's new

NEW Tuckaway set

I snagged this NEW Tuckaway set off the bay, and am curious if anyone has seen one before, and if anyone might be able to offer more information? Ray raised my interest in whether it is original.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Rodd, that is very interesting. I have never seen a set from Gillette ever.
Are there any markings on the case?

I just got it in the mail and took pictures over lunch, and honestly did not even think to check the bottom of the case. The top is just plain ivory with little flecks of darker ivory. I will check the bottom tonight. I was excited that it was a NEW though, I have a couple NEW improved tuckaway sets, and could not tell much from the rubbish ebay picture.

The brush is marked Liberty, let me know if this means anything to anyone. Thanks!

Great catch! The Tuckaway`s are New Improved. Your razor looks like a NEW. Maybe a NEW Lady Decolletee. Is there a SN inside the head. Made in USA or England?

Great catch! The Tuckaway`s are New Improved. Your razor looks like a NEW. Maybe a NEW Lady Decolletee. Is there a SN inside the head. Made in USA or England?

Thanks Achim! I noticed there was a serial number inside the head, but I will have to check what it is when I get home. Made in USA.

Thanks Achim! I noticed there was a serial number inside the head, but I will have to check what it is when I get home. Made in USA.

The number will give us a date but I'd like to know if the case is actually a Gillette set. I've not known Liberty to be part of any Gillette sets.

Come on fellows....any info???

Not to make anyone kick themselves, but I put in a much higher bid than I got this for.

I also noticed that the bottom of the head is different than my other NEW's It is flat, rather than having the ridge where the groove is on the other side. I saw on Achim's site that his Norfolk Chromium with the Tuckaway handle is the same style. Sorry I did not think to write down the serial number when I was home for lunch. I will post it this evening.

Winning bid: US $1.79
:biggrin:

WOW Rodd, way to go, boy when you want something you sure do spare no expence do you??? :lol::lol::lol:

Excellent score on the razor alone and if it all matches up to an actual kit...
I can't imagine the rarity of it.. MT, Achim, me..none of us have seen it...:w00t:

Unfortunately the only markings I see on the case are "Pat Appl'd For. Possible that any decals wore off the plastic, or that it was from a generic razor. I still keep my fingers crossed.

Interesting note: The mirror is actually glass!

The serial number inside the head is 92660. Is this 1928?

Keep any info or speculations coming, I appreciate it! Thanks!

If there is no letter at the beginning of the serial #, then I would guess this razor came at the end of the serial numbers, sometime around 1930. I had a couple like that.

Unfortunately the only markings I see on the case are "Pat Appl'd For. Possible that any decals wore off the plastic, or that it was from a generic razor. I still keep my fingers crossed.

Interesting note: The mirror is actually glass!

The serial number inside the head is 92660. Is this 1928?

Keep any info or speculations coming, I appreciate it! Thanks!

Only the NEW DeLuxe razors are numbered. I believe they are from 1936. The NEW Norfolk DeLuxe with Tuckaway style handle comes in chrominum and gold plated. I believe the NEW Lady Gillette DeLuxe is the same gold razor in an other case. I think your set is a missmatch but a nice razor for a low price!

Only the NEW DeLuxe razors are numbered. I believe they are from 1936. The NEW Norfolk DeLuxe with Tuckaway style handle comes in chrominum and gold plated. I believe the NEW Lady Gillette DeLuxe is the same gold razor in an other case. I think your set is a missmatch but a nice razor for a low price!

Thanks for the information Achim! I have a silver and gold Tuckaway set now, so I will be on the lookout for another case for this guy. If anyone has any information on Liberty, or the case, I think it is neat, so I would like to complete it, even though it is not Gillette. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the information Achim! I have a silver and gold Tuckaway set now, so I will be on the lookout for another case for this guy. If anyone has any information on Liberty, or the case, I think it is neat, so I would like to complete it, even though it is not Gillette. Thanks again everyone!

Do you mean the New Improved Tuckaway or the NEW Norfolk DeLuxe with Tuckaway style handle? The cases are nearly the same. The New Improved case says Tuckaway, the NEW Norfolk not.

New Improved:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New%20Improved/1928 Tuckaway.jpg

NEW Norfolk:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1936 NEW Norfolk chrominum Tuckaway handle USA.JPG

Do you mean the New Improved Tuckaway or the NEW Norfolk DeLuxe with Tuckaway style handle? The cases are nearly the same. The New Improved case says Tuckaway, the NEW Norfolk not.

New Improved:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/New Improved/1928 Tuckaway.jpg

NEW Norfolk:
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1936 NEW Norfolk chrominum Tuckaway handle USA.JPG

Achim, in my bunch, I have a Norfolk with a dark case (leather clad) that says Norfolk inside. I am at work now but can post a picture later today as well.

These are my tuckaway sets. The case on the end is a silver norfolk case, which was traded to Chris. I think I basically need a gold one of these. The other two are new improved tuckaways. I would love to replace the case on the silver one, it looks like it got wet at one time. The gold one came with one of the original style blades in it, (no stropping, no honing) and 3 more of them wrapped in it's blade case. It looks like it was barely used. I am particularly interested in these generations of razors because my birthday is January 13, and the patent date printed on them is January 13 1920. Enough of a reason for me to want to collect them. :biggrin:

proxy.php

Top Bottom