What's new

What Made This Razor So Special ?

Seller Has it listed as Silver Plated New Standard, But from the looks of it, it looks more like Chrome? Also if you Notice the Knurling at the Bottom of the Handle its not like the Regular Standard Razors, This one Actually has The Hollow Diamond Pattern on the Handle and not a Solid Diamond Patter as the Regular Handles Have That don't Match The Handle. Seems this must be from a Particular Set? Looked for it on MR Razor Site but couldn't find this handle :eek:/ Maybe i Missed it?

At the Bottom i put 2 pictures , One of the Richwood Silver and New Standard Gold Razors to Compare with the Knurling on the bottom of the handle, to the Chromium Standard in the auction.

Ebay Listing Here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-192...eRbnT1bqIU5a%2B%2FOZI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Attachments

• $$T2eC16FHJGYE9nooiJTQBQ+0i0OH)Q~~60_57.jpg
    $$T2eC16FHJGYE9nooiJTQBQ+0i0OH)Q~~60_57.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 441
  • $$T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfM1BQ+0ij(UPw~~60_57.jpg
    $$T2eC16NHJGwE9n)ySfM1BQ+0ij(UPw~~60_57.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 442
  • $$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iLlRBQ+0i5p0Pw~~60_57.jpg
    $$T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iLlRBQ+0i5p0Pw~~60_57.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 439
  • $1923%20Richwood Silver.jpg
    $1923%20Richwood Silver.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 440
  • $Belmont Deluxe Gold.jpg
    $Belmont Deluxe Gold.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 439
That knurling on the knob is just the very earliest style from the beginning of the New Improved run. Gillette seems to have made the change during 1921, the first year they were out, so they're less common than the other type you showed above.

I could not speak to silver vs chrome: photos can be deceiving.

Anyway the serial 141720A puts it in the range of the other known examples listed at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_New_Improved_New_Standard. So far my 339221A seems to be the highest-numbered example, but I also have 224689A with the argyle (solid diamond) pattern. Possibly one or the other has a substituted knob, but I tend to think that Gillette was shipping both knob styles at the same time. It might have been as simple as one of the machinists missing that part of the specification, and then knobs in both styles all go into a big bin for later assembly with the other parts.

attachment.php

I could not speak to silver vs chrome: photos can be deceiving.

Anyway the serial 141720A puts it in the range of the other known examples listed at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_New_Improved_New_Standard. So far my 339221A seems to be the highest-numbered example, but I also have 224689A with the argyle (solid diamond) pattern. Possibly one or the other has a substituted knob, but I tend to think that Gillette was shipping both knob styles at the same time. It might have been as simple as one of the machinists missing that part of the specification, and then knobs in both styles all go into a big bin for later assembly with the other parts.

attachment.php
This seems like a good theory, the machinists made an error and produced these variations, can this make it a rare piece since not many were produced?

That knurling on the knob is just the very earliest style from the beginning of the New Improved run. Gillette seems to have made the change during 1921, the first year they were out, so they're less common than the other type you showed above.
Are they considered a rare razor since not many were made?

I doubt very strongly that it was an error. If you look at the illustrations in the 1921 catalog that's up on RazorArchive.com you'll see that all the models are pictured with this design. I think it was more likely a conscious design change -- either for better grip on the knob or just for looks.

As for rareness, if they made the first few hundred thousand or so this was I'd call them "uncommon" rather than "rare."

I always liked the hollow diamond pattern as it matches the handle perfectly, I would think the Hollow handle would be more work to mass produce and thats why they changed it up to the solid pattern on the Knob? Either way Thanks for the info guys.

@ Alex if there not to common and are seeing less then Bottom Dials or a Red Dot, I would call them Rare? Would you?

I always liked the hollow diamond pattern as it matches the handle perfectly, I would think the Hollow handle would be more work to mass produce and thats why they changed it up to the solid pattern on the Knob?

What makes you say that? Just eyeballing them, the earlier pierced diamond pattern looks significantly less complicated to me than the later one.

@ Alex if there not to common and are seeing less then Bottom Dials or a Red Dot, I would call them Rare? Would you?

I see significantly more of these than I do either Bottom Dials or Red Dots. I should have also said at the beginning of this thread that the $73 that one went for strikes me as rather high for just the loose razor, even one in very nice condition. But clearly at least two people wanted it badly enough...

I doubt very strongly that it was an error. If you look at the illustrations in the 1921 catalog that's up on RazorArchive.com you'll see that all the models are pictured with this design. I think it was more likely a conscious design change -- either for better grip on the knob or just for looks.

As for rareness, if they made the first few hundred thousand or so this was I'd call them "uncommon" rather than "rare."

Very good link Porter, I think Matt ( Razor Emporium) did a great job at getting these up. He told me he paid alot of money to Gillette to obtain the rights to these prints.

$2.jpg$4.jpg$5.jpg

I always liked the hollow diamond pattern as it matches the handle perfectly, I would think the Hollow handle would be more work to mass produce and thats why they changed it up to the solid pattern on the Knob? Either way Thanks for the info guys.

Well, the Bottom Dial or Red Dots are a prototype design so they have a rare designation by design not because hard to find or get.

What makes you say that? Just eyeballing them, the earlier pierced diamond pattern looks significantly less complicated to me than the later one. Not by looking at it, i would think making howllow handle of that razor requires more steps then the Solid one. And more timely and more parts to attach to the handle? I could be wrong?

I see significantly more of these than I do either Bottom Dials or Red Dots. I should have also said at the beginning of this thread that the $73 that one went for strikes me as rather high for just the loose razor, even one in very nice condition. But clearly at least two people wanted it badly enough...
This is only the 2nd or 3rd one ive seen, Maybe its because i really dont hunt for them :eek:/ but im sure they arent worth as much as a Red Dot or Bottom Dial, that can go for as high as 1,800.00 :eek:/

OLD THREAD....

Anybody else notice the date stamp on the "tto" knob? Is this the date THIS razor was produced? Any help looking at yours would be appreciated.

Attachments

• $IMG_20130815_123423_886.jpg
    $IMG_20130815_123423_886.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 206
  • $IMG_20130815_123431_011.jpg
    $IMG_20130815_123431_011.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 205
OLD THREAD....

Anybody else notice the date stamp on the "tto" knob? Is this the date THIS razor was produced? Any help looking at yours would be appreciated.

I think most of mine have this date stamp. I'll have to check when I get home though as I'm curious as well.

Top Bottom