What's new

The best Scotch, Bourbon, and Whiskey for a beginner

Howdy folks,
Having been only a beer drinking since legal age, I know very little of the distilled world. So, what am I missing? What should I start off with that will open my eyes to this wonderful world I'm missing?

Bourbon - Wild Turkey 101. Many people will probably suggest things all over the map for bourbon. My reasoning for WT 101 is that it is available almost everywhere in the US and its a very decent Bourbon at a good price. You can drink your bourbon neat, or on the rocks with some water or club soda. There isnt quite a "stigma" for watering down bourbon as there is for Scotch. Bond's drink of choice through most of the books is a double bourbon and soda!

Scotch - Highland Park 12. Again, available at most places that sell spirits in the US. A VERY good moderately priced Scotch. People will probably tell you to drink your scotch neat. Its a little hard to drink spirits neat at first. I suggest pouring a small measure, dropping in a large ice cube, then swirling it around for about 30 seconds. Then, take the ice cube out. Your drink will be slightly chilled and diluted, but not too much.

Lol, either of Edcculus's Bourbon suggestions are good. I love Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, but you might have an easier time starting with some Jim Beam white label, it's a little softer than the other two.

Scotch? There are many ways to become initiated. Some recommend befriending a bar tender, and simply having him pour "flights" or samples of different Scotches might be the way to go. If you're going to buy a bottle, might I suggest Cragganmore or Glenmorangie.

I always drink my whisky neat, but when I was starting out I would use distilled water, and add 1 or 2 drops to the dram to enhance the flavor. Start with very small sips, holding it in the mouth for a long time and allowing it to travel to the different parts of your mouth and tongue, in order to experience all of the flavors. As you develop your palette, it will be come easier to imbibe.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself and use a degree of moderation. Fine whisky is for sipping, beer is for drinking. Try not to confuse the two!~ lol

I drink what my dad and his brothers drank, mixed scotch. 12 yr Chivas Regal, or Johnnie Black. You can't go wrong. Can be mixed with a seltzer if you'd like for a soda cocktail. I worked in downtown Manhattan for 10 yrs was addicted to Rob Roys (scotch in a martini) and the old whiskey houses that served great selections and you could smoke a cigar

Not as much of a scotch guy but agree with Makers Mark, but I'm a big fan of Jack Daniels (try the Gentlemens Jack) I'm sure there are better ones that will come up but IMO you can't go wrong starting here. Btw try it neat

Legion

Staff member
I'm not a bourbon guy, but scotch, Monkey Shoulder is always one I recommend to new scotch drinkers. It is quite sweet, quite smooth, and quite inexpensive.

Monkey shoulder is a blended malt. That means it is a mixture of Pure malts, and no grain whisky. IMO single malt scotches are great to try and experiment with once you know what you like, but some of them can be a bit... overpowering for a newbie. Start with a few blended whiskies, and malt blends, then when you have an idea what kind of flavours you enjoy we can aim you at some single malts that will have that flavour with intensity.

haha, I changed my thought after I posted, and somehow ended up with a double post!

Also, FWIW, Jack Daniels is not a Bourbon.

Last edited:
haha, I changed my thought after I posted, and somehow ended up with a double post!

Also, FWIW, Jack Daniels is not a Bourbon.

After an extended fact finding mission in Scotland I have determined the following:

1. There is a hell of a lot of Scotch we will never see here
2. Of those we have, Ardbeg ranks top of the heap. Glenmorangie Lasanta a REAL close second

So...I'll say these are excellent (albeit costly) beverages with which to foray into the world of Scotch

Side note-Monkey Shoulder is a blended (a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie) Scotch produced specifically for American palates. I tried it in St. Andrews..meh.

Now Bourbon...a near lifetime of enjoying the one, true American spirit says Booker's. Accept no substitute. Again..pricey. But hey, life is short.

Final note..yep they even tell you at the JD Distillery that it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but in reality it meets all BATFE requirements for Bourbon-technically it is, but they call it what they want. They make it so they can do just that.

Now take Early Times..once a well known KY Bourbon which can no longer label itself as such (now it is known as "Kentucky Whisky"). Why?? Apparently it does not meet BATFE aging requirements (re-using barrels; cannot do that)...go figure. Early Times 354 is however a legit (but not too good) Bourbon

Last edited:
After an extended fact finding mission in Scotland I have determined the following:

1. There is a hell of a lot of Scotch we will never see here
2. Of those we have, Ardbeg ranks top of the heap. Glenmorangie Lasanta a REAL close second

So...I'll say these are excellent (albeit costly) beverages with which to foray into the world of Scotch

Side note-Monkey Shoulder is a blended (a mix of three different Single Malts - Glenfiddich, Balvenie and Kininvie) Scotch produced specifically for American palates. I tried it in St. Andrews..meh.

Now Bourbon...a near lifetime of enjoying the one, true American spirit says Booker's. Accept no substitute. Again..pricey. But hey, life is short.

Final note..yep they even tell you at the JD Distillery that it's "Tennessee Whiskey" but in reality it meets all BATFE requirements for Bourbon-technically it is, but they call it what they want. They make it so they can do just that.

Now take Early Times..once a well known KY Bourbon which can no longer label itself as such (now it is known as "Kentucky Whisky"). Why?? Apparently it does not meet BATFE aging requirements (re-using barrels; cannot do that)...go figure. Early Times 354 is however a legit (but not too good) Bourbon

+1 on the Booker's. Knob Creek is pretty nice too.

As for scotch...it's a single malt and a little more expensive at $50-60 a bottle, but I absolutely love Laphroaig. Jam packed with smokey, peaty, deliciousness.

TN Whiskey

I like TN Whiskey more than, KY, Rye, Sour mesh Irish and Scotch.
I was not a straight whiskey drink until i tried Gentleman Jack which made me realize why people drink it neat.
I perfer gentleman jack with club soda and a lime.

And we're forgetting the blends. There's some good ones out there, and you can get a great blend for the price of an average malt.

I particularly recommend :

Cutty Sark (and that's cheap enough to mix with, also works great with some ice)
Naked Grouse
Chivas 18YO
Cutty Sark 18YO

+1 on the Monkey Shoulder. My favorite scotch, and very affordable. Not all of us have the sophisticated taste buds of some on here, so an expensive single malt is wasted on us.

The most important thing is to find something YOU like and not what others tell you that you should like. Lots of posers on the liquor boards all around the interweb.

And we're forgetting the blends. There's some good ones out there, and you can get a great blend for the price of an average malt.

I particularly recommend :

Cutty Sark (and that's cheap enough to mix with, also works great with some ice)
Naked Grouse
Chivas 18YO
Cutty Sark 18YO

Oh my God... how have I never heard of Naked Grouse! I need a bottle!

Bourbon try Elijah Craig 12 yr small batch less than $25 a bottle. Similar price point Eagle Rare 10 year.

Basil Hayden is only 80 proof and offers a good sample of sipping whiskey, to me it has a lot of rye which adds a spice character to it.

All three of these can be sipped neat or with a few ice cubes, or splash of cold water.

Top Bottom