What's new

Eau Sauvage re visited

Good Saturday Gentleman,

This morning as I was finishing my shave I found myself reaching for Eau Sauvage.:001_cool:It was the third day in a row. I have been using three colognes as of late : Eau Sauvage , Castle Forbes 1445 and Terres D Hermes but ES has recently been my first choice why? It could be because it opens up with a great smell of fresh cut lemons. I find this perfect after a great shave. It lasts all day turning into a vetiver like scent. I guess for me it has become the ultimate barbershop fragrance and more importantly my wife loves it:thumbup:

Have a great weekend
Andy

Wow, I forgot about Eau Sauvage. Dare I say it? I went through a bottle about 30 years ago. Shortly after that I go into Aramis and never got back to Eau Sauvage.

I have two bottles of Eau Sauvage. A large one for home, and a smaller one for the road. I guess you know a classic when you never tire of it.

I just bought a bottle of the ES leather scent on the bay. It's supposed to be a 2-year old tester that is full. We'll see when it arrives. Any thoughts on where the 2-year version stands compared to todays version? Any changes since then?

I just bought a bottle of the ES leather scent on the bay. It's supposed to be a 2-year old tester that is full. We'll see when it arrives. Any thoughts on where the 2-year version stands compared to todays version? Any changes since then?

As far as I know, the Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir is discontinued, so there is no today's version. I have a bottle, and I love it - the leather is soft and I think it fits in well with the Eau Sauvage character.

OK. Thanks for that. How about the basic ES. Is it the same now as it was a couple years ago?

It was reformulated at some point in the past, but I don't think it's been in the past couple of years - my bottle is about that old, and it smells the same as the current stuff.

Current Eau Sauvage (2012) is brighter and has a more sparkling citrus than it used to have. Current Eau Sauvage doesn't contain as much oakmoss (if any at all) as it used to do. Older bottles have a retro vibe whereas current bottles smell more modern. However, both are very nice and instantly recognizable. You can't go wrong with either formulation.

ES Fraicheur Cuir is a limited edition from 2007. Still relatively easy to find on eBay, prices are rising BTW.
I have it too. Really nice leather-y drydown. The citrus top notes aren't as bright as regular ES though.

$5078_9ef6f1d5f0e1e3ed432f58b340182380.jpg
My Eau Sauvage collection (one backup bottle of ES 100% Glaçon not pictured)

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am starting to realize that no matter how hard I search for a replacement to ES sooner or later I return to using it.

I think I'm in the exact same boat! I think my only recourse is maybe to try some of the ES "flankers" and see if they scratch that need-for-variety itch.

Current Eau Sauvage (2012) is brighter and has a more sparkling citrus than it used to have. Current Eau Sauvage doesn't contain as much oakmoss (if any at all) as it used to do. Older bottles have a retro vibe whereas current bottles smell more modern. However, both are very nice and instantly recognizable. You can't go wrong with either formulation.

ES Fraicheur Cuir is a limited edition from 2007. Still relatively easy to find on eBay, prices are rising BTW.
I have it too. Really nice leather-y drydown. The citrus top notes aren't as bright as regular ES though.

View attachment 337202
My Eau Sauvage collection (one backup bottle of ES 100% Glaçon not pictured)

Nice collection!

I love eau sauvage, but unfortunately it only lasts about 30 minutes on my skin no matter how many sprays.

Nice collection Oscroft! Only 100% Glaçon still missing...
And I must buy a small bottle (50 ml) of Extreme sometime soon.

Top Bottom