What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Tonight, By Kilian Back to Black. Not what I expected at all. Honey and baby powder. Only. No thanks.

Interesting, I don't get powder at all. When I concentrate it smells like honey and chamomile tea, when I don't I get pipe tobacco. Love this one.

Interesting, I don't get powder at all. When I concentrate it smells like honey and chamomile tea, when I don't I get pipe tobacco. Love this one.

+1 - I have heard others make the baby powder comment but for me it's pretty much honey + tobacco. I dig it.

Hindu Grass
by Nasomatto

Patchouli right out of the gate but quickly outrunned by oakmoss, no doubt about it. Patchouli is always there, always reserved, and this is always a warm fragrance with subtle incense and tobacco notes. It wears a little light but stayed with me all day - and I hear that it's even better when sprayed. I have only these two samples from the line but I'm already sold, would like to sample more. Nasomatto is to be taken seriously.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Sounds interesting Chandos! I like incense with wood and leather notes, but I don't think I have tried any frags with incense and tobacco notes. I see Black Afgano has these notes also.

Is this "Hindu Grass" you are referring to? I know there is a "Hindu Kush" by profumo.it which I have not sampled. I am planning to do a Nasomatto Week sometime, but I need one more sample. I currently have Absinth, Black Afgano, Duro and Hindu Grass.

Sounds interesting Chandos! I like incense with wood and leather notes, but I don't think I have tried any frags with incense and tobacco notes. I see Black Afgano has these notes also.

Is this "Hindu Grass" you are referring to? I know there is a "Hindu Kush" by profumo.it which I have not sampled. I am planning to do a Nasomatto Week sometime, but I need one more sample. I currently have Absinth, Black Afgano, Duro and Hindu Grass.

Ah, yes, thanks for catching that. I just edited the post to say Hindu Grass. And that makes sense to me now, because the oakmoss makes it sort of grassy. HG has a lot in common with BA but they are also very different. Both have a prominent patchouli note but HG uses a good does of oakmoss to keep it mossy and light while BA is a darker richer version. The incense notes are individually different, or at least I experienced them a little differently, in the company of other notes. BA doesn't come across as very tobacco-y to me whereas HG does, but not in a pipe tobacco or even a blond tobacco but more of a tobacco accord. I don't know if that makes any sense but I used to have a tub of Huck & Tom shaving cream that was like this tobacco note - and even though it doesn't smell like tobacco per se the label just made sense. The other thing is that BA has a bit of oud in it that surprisingly doesn't make its appearance until late in the game, which is really cool. I'd read that there was some oud in it but it wasn't until most of the other notes burned off - and all those base notes take a long time! - that I was smelling this ashy note and I put it together - it's the same ashy note I get from ASAQ ouds. Anyway, I'm looking to obtain some more samples from Nasomatto now too.

Patchouli Imperial
by Dior

bergamot, coriander, sandalwood, patchouli

Oddly enough, I keep thinking purple patchouli, as if this is what Tom Ford's Purple Patchouli should smell like. This is a patchouli dominant fragrance without a doubt but not like Patchouli Patch, or Real Patchouly, or anything else. The patch here is soft and opens with a slightly powdered note, almost leathery. It's a bit on the sweet side, which isn't surprising, but not enough to ruin the fragrance. In a subtle way, I pick up similarities to Leather Oud but only in very subtle ways. I'm not a real big patchouli fan but I do like this rather elegant and suave take on it. I feel underdressed - well, I am, it's Friday after all.

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom