What's new

Blade performance

$Feather_NEW_Hi-STAINLESS_Platinum_600.jpg

I remember, it was the first blade I ever used in my first DE razor - a Gillette Tech with aluminium handle.
Well, how do I put it ?
For many, this is the best blade in the world. I admit, I had at least 4 BBS shaves from each blade with my Tech. I shaved with them in my Fatboy too. Same result, but I had to be careful with the settings. They also did the same well in my Superspeed.
So, without testing them at this occasion, I can tell, that this is the upper class blade. However, I'll give it a try here later on too.

$Astra_Superior_Platinum_01.jpg

This is a amazing blade. One of the cheapest on the internet market and so efficient. At third shave, it felt like at first ! 4 BBS shaves and there is still life in the blade. It's just great.
It will definitely be in my rotation.

hmmm ... there must be a reason why not all wet shavers use Platinum coated blades, so, I'll find out what blades without does too. There are some non platinum coated in the sample too. Right now, I use a Gillette Tech (fat handeled) razor, which I think is the mildest for me and probably will be the most competent tester.

View attachment 254451

Let's say, that I'm allready started trying to find out how different blades perform on me and my razors. Until now, I know, that Feathers are the best I've tried, but most expensive, right after comes Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum. Red Personnas don't suit me, it's like, they don't bite on my skin and it's confusing, that there is no numbers on each side of the blade. What I'm looking for is "the best" (probably most expensive) and the cheapest "next best" for every day use.

What?

they don't bite on my skin
- read: the blade do not shave properly

there is no numbers on each side of the blade
View attachment 261068

Thank you for the clarification. It is true that some blades perform better for some people than for others. It is important to try a variety of blades in order to determine which work best for you.

I agree with you about the Astra blades. This is the best compromise of sharp and smooth that I have ever found. They consistently give me the most satisfying shaves.

The numbers that are printed on some blades have nothing to do with how the blade is used. They are meaningless as far as the blade performance is concerned. The numbers are probably used by the manufacturer for quality control purposes.

For me, the numbers are very useful. I take the blade out of the razor after every shave and switch side every time I use it. The numbers helps me to remember the side which I shaved with last time,

$Polsilver_SUPER_IRIDIUM_02.jpg

While I'm testing all these blades, It's difficult for me NOT to touch all the other razors. So, lately, I've "touched" my new chrome plated Fatip Grande and I just couldn't stand the pressure. I loaded it with the POLSILVER SUPER IRIDIUM blade and started to shave.
The blade ? Not much to say. 4 perfect smooth BBS shaves and still life in this blade. Fantastic.

[thread=301948]How many DE razors do you have ?[/thread]

proxy.php

Another very popular, loved and hated blade.
First shave was very smooth, thou the blade felt a bit rough (maybe it's because I've cheated again, this time with my 7'oclock OC razor).
Second shave just great.
Third shave was even better than the second, smooooth BBS.
This low cost blade required a lot touch ups at 4'th shave. Absolutely best buy category.

Last edited:
I was thinking, that somebody, after using 7 o'clocks, "discovered" the Crystals or maybe said "never again".

The Gillette are a better blade in my opinion. Crystals were my favorite - they are not too sharp, and very forgiving, and seem smooth to me.

Gillette 7oclock in the black box feel sharper and very smooth - I think they cut almost as well as Feather without nicking and cutting my skin.

Buy a small pack of both and compare. If you have fine facial hair, you might like the Crystals more if they are sharp enough and shave smooth. If you have thicker hair, you might like the sharper Gillettes.

I have a thin beard, but sensitive skin, so the Gillettes cut easily with minimal passes.

ETA: Wow, I didn't realize I was so late to the game in this thread.

Last edited:
The Gillette are a better blade in my opinion. Crystals were my favorite - they are not too sharp, and very forgiving, and seem smooth to me.

Gillette 7oclock in the black box feel sharper and very smooth - I think they cut almost as well as Feather without nicking and cutting my skin.

Buy a small pack of both and compare. If you have fine facial hair, you might like the Crystals more if they are sharp enough and shave smooth. If you have thicker hair, you might like the sharper Gillettes.

I have a thin beard, but sensitive skin, so the Gillettes cut easily with minimal passes.

ETA: Wow, I didn't realize I was so late to the game in this thread.
Thank you for the response. I think, that my skin/beard are very similar to yours. What you write about the blacks and the Feaders matches very good what I read about them in other threads. My next blade will be the Gillette Super Platinum black (I have a 5 pack). I heard a lot about them and only positives.

proxy.php

I don't have a record of the duration of my different shaves, but the first shave with this blade was my longest lasting BBS I recall.
The second was great, 3'rd too. 4'th shave was with a Fatip Piccolo - a perfect BBS. A first class blade.

Your question is both serious and funny (no offense intended). I always try new blades in an effort to find the new awesome shave, but the truth is that it is a combination of blade/razor/face from step one. For me, it's the old Stahly windup razor. Nothing else even comes close in my 48 years of needing to shave. My Merkur is second best, but a distant second. The Stahly is the cat's meow of razors for my face. Blades? Well, there are several blades that I really enjoy, including most of the top rated blades in this forum. But surprise of surprises, the best blade I have ever used in my life is a lowly Astra SP!

At $9 per hundred, I expected little, but I was shocked by the sharpest, smoothest shave I ever had. My Feather blades are now pretty packages in my collection... They are very fine blades, but the current Astra SP is so much better in my favorite razor, and on my face... I bought hundreds of them for less than paying for a couple of beers at the pub. Even if my world is rocked, and I find better, my stash of Astra SP blades will always deliver an awesome shave... That's the fun of DE shaving. Match your face to the perfect razor and blade. It's really cheap overall, and you always win in the end. Enjoy!

proxy.php

First shave - easy and smooth BBS.
Second shave I committed with the same brand razor, the Lord L6. This shave was a pleasure too.
The biggest surprize was the last (4'th) shave, that I did with the Gillette Sheraton. Even with this cheap and used blade I've got a great, smooth and irritation free BBS.

A great blade at low cost.

Last edited:
Your question is both serious and funny (no offense intended). I always try new blades in an effort to find the new awesome shave, but the truth is that it is a combination of blade/razor/face from step one. For me, it's the old Stahly windup razor. Nothing else even comes close in my 48 years of needing to shave. My Merkur is second best, but a distant second. The Stahly is the cat's meow of razors for my face. Blades? Well, there are several blades that I really enjoy, including most of the top rated blades in this forum. But surprise of surprises, the best blade I have ever used in my life is a lowly Astra SP!

At $9 per hundred, I expected little, but I was shocked by the sharpest, smoothest shave I ever had. My Feather blades are now pretty packages in my collection... They are very fine blades, but the current Astra SP is so much better in my favorite razor, and on my face... I bought hundreds of them for less than paying for a couple of beers at the pub. Even if my world is rocked, and I find better, my stash of Astra SP blades will always deliver an awesome shave... That's the fun of DE shaving. Match your face to the perfect razor and blade. It's really cheap overall, and you always win in the end. Enjoy!
Another serious and funny thing is, that I'm actually looking for a Stahly. I'd like to let it be my next razor purchase, though that I should by the way have enough :biggrin1:

proxy.php

4 shaves.
First shave with Fatip Grande - BBS. It seems that the blade is very sharp. I've got blood under my nose.
It shaves well, but while shaving I feel that the blade is very rough and I get small cuttings. ATG on the moustache almost impossible.
For me it's a very skin irritating blade. I'll put the pack far away and probably never buy any more.

I believe, that I have samples of any blades being made. (if not, I'll get the the rest).
The philosophy of making razor blades isn't very complicated. Sharp and smooth.
I'm not a vendor, but the producers are.

My observations until now are:

I never met a "lost in production" blade (a bad one)
I think that all blades are sharp (the company makes profit on this issue, so they made them so)

My statement:
All blades are fine, we just don't know how to use them.

The rest is up to us (users)

Thanks! this thread should prove valuable to anyone new to DE, and it reaffirmed my final choice of Astra SP

Merkur Platinum Plus

Mühle 41
The butcher. It is.
Slowly, no pressure.
NO PRESSURE !!!
Man, this is chirurgy ! Any blade is "Jaws"

advice: be careful
me: I surrvived with a RAW BBS (I must tell, one of the best), but,
BE: CAREFUL

No Irritation at all

Top Bottom