What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling

I found the last bit of a sample in the back of my cabinet as I was getting stuff to box up for sale. I'm really torn on this scent. I love the juniper notes and it's light enough for everyday wear but I can't help but feel it's a little feminine. I know it shouldn't matter but it makes me hesitant on picking up a bottle. Maybe I can offset it with ordering something super manly with it... yeah... that sounds like a plan.

Listed notes according to Fragrantica: rose, honey, incense and benzoin are blended with ylang-ylang, cumin, Atlas cedar and sandalwood.

To me, this is slightly animalic/dirty which I enjoy, and has a dark, rich musky/ambery scent with incense, honey, cedar, clove, and more. In the last few days I've worn Serge Luten's Ambre Sultan and Muscs Koublai Khan, and this is right at home with those. I like it a lot!

Edit: Did I say this is a ROSE scent? After the first 15 minutes or so, the dark rose really asserts itself. All the other elements are still present, but in a very strong supporting role to the rose.

proxy.php

Annick Goutal Vétiver "A woody scent, full of character and imbued with sea salt and spices."
Spicy, woody, marine (Java vetiver, rare woods, Birman spices, hint of iodine)

I definitely get iodine, but it doesn't remind me at all of the sea. HEELEY Sel Marin does a much better job of that (I haven't yet tried TDC Sel de Vetiver - but I would imagine ditto for that one). Heck, even Guerlain Vetiver has something to it that reminds me of the beach. This stuff does not. It's not a bad scent, but I don't get any of the purported qualities. This is quite raw vetiver with zero sweetness and zero citrus. I don't get any wood or spice, and do get more than just a "hint" of iodine.

Great notes, fella's!

proxy.php

Accords: Citrus, Fresh Spicy, Herbal, Green, Woody

Top: Grapefruit, Mandarin Orange, Basil
Middle: Lime, Mint, Lemon Verbena
Base: Sandalwood, Vanilla

Lots of citrus in the opening, but that only lasts a couple minutes then it heads south real quick. Reminds me of some other horrible frag, but I can't remember which one specifically. Was it Czech & Speake No.88 or Caron Third Man? Even brings to mind Smell Bent Saddle Warmer with its halitosis, but I certainly ain't gonna do any side-by-side to find out. Simply disgusting!

Frag Week 25
Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee (2003) - Monday
Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta (2003) - Tuesday
Borsari Acqua Classica (1870) - Wednesday
D R Harris Windsor (2012) - Thursday
Annick Goutal Eau de Sud (1996) - Friday
Alvarez Gomez Agua de Colonia Concentrada (1912) - Saturday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom