What's new

Whipped Dog

Here are my first Whipped Dog restos. Left is an ER 200T with 22mm silvertip at 50mm and right I belive is a Fuller -based on this thread - with a 24mm silvertip at 52mm.

The first pic is before and pic 2 is after sanding out the main defects. Pic 3 is after sanding the top flat to take out the last of the defects, polishing a bit and gluing the knots in place. The last pis is after their first bath.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice work! I have a 20mm Silvertip from him that should be coming in this afternoon. Any thoughts on the knot? Density? Softness? Backbone?

Very nice...I suspect they will perform as nice as they look! :thumbup1:

I don't use this much lather and it's too thick but it does look good.

proxy.php

Nice work! I have a 20mm Silvertip from him that should be coming in this afternoon. Any thoughts on the knot? Density? Softness? Backbone?

So far they seem very similar to a TNG silvertip grade A in size, density, and softness. As far as backbone goes, I intentionally set these lofts high - perhaps too high on the big one - because I wanted to try something different. As a result they are a bit on the floppy side but I did make the lather above with Tabac in a bowl. Since all WD knots are 65mm high I don't think I'd set my next one any higher than 50mm.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the whippeddog knot. Mine (a 20mm Silvertip) came in yesterday and I'm still forming some impressions of it, but I'm impressed thus far. I think I like it better than the TGN silvertip grade A. It seems denser and it has more backbone. I'm definitely glad I decided to try one.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the whippeddog knot. Mine (a 20mm Silvertip) came in yesterday and I'm still forming some impressions of it, but I'm impressed thus far. I think I like it better than the TGN silvertip grade A. It seems denser and it has more backbone. I'm definitely glad I decided to try one.

I also think the WhippedDog knots are denser than the TGN Silvertip

I also think the WhippedDog knots are denser than the TGN Silvertip

I think you guys are right about density. The only TNG grade A I have is a 20mm so I was just guessing. These knots seem to hold more water than any other I have owned so some of my test lathers were too thin and I had to start over but I reckon once I figure out the correct ratio they will make lather as easily as any of my brushes. I would compare the tip softness of my WD knots to my TNG finest. Backbone is weak but thats because I set the loft so high so don't read too much into that.

I just wanted to add that Larry is great to work with. I have used the whippeddog silvertip only a couple of times. That being said I will soon be making one for myself. The knots are pretty dense, nice and soft and with a short loft they have good back bone. I dont think it would be my everyday brush, I will use it on those days I want something pillow soft. Very nice!

Actually just ordered 4 from WD, had only previously ordered from TGN, If the knots are as good as the service (super quick) from WD I will be very happy.
UPDATE: got the knots today, very nice quality, top notch service and a free sample to boot! what more could you ask for will be dealing with Larry again.

Last edited:
I'll probably be ordering a bunch from both places coming up. I am gonna try my hand at making a few brushes. Like Blade Boy said, Larry is amazing to deal with...But so is TGN lol. I like these kinds of choices cause I end up just choosing both. I look forward to comparing the brushes (gonna try and get several in the same size and quality so that I can try and do the best comparison). Now I just have to wait for the wood before I can get started (gotta figure out the size of my knots right :) ).

PS; make sure you post pictures of your finished brushes Blade Boy ;) .

While I haven't gotten around to trying TGN, I have dealt with Larry on a couple of occassions and have nothing but good things to say about it. Not only does Larry provide high quality goods at a reasonable price, he goes the extra mile by providing detailed instructions about the care and use of the product he sold. When I got my silvertip knot it came with instructions for cleaning it and enough of the Oxyclean to do the job. Larry is also amazingly fast with shipping; both times I ordered from him I got it within 3 days.

While I haven't gotten around to trying TGN, I have dealt with Larry on a couple of occassions and have nothing but good things to say about it. Not only does Larry provide high quality goods at a reasonable price, he goes the extra mile by providing detailed instructions about the care and use of the product he sold. When I got my silvertip knot it came with instructions for cleaning it and enough of the Oxyclean to do the job. Larry is also amazingly fast with shipping; both times I ordered from him I got it within 3 days.

Wow, he sent you Oxyclean to clean it too!?! Man, I guess I don't know why I am surprised since when I got my straight starter kit he sent me a few extras as well. Guess I might have to just order his first and skip the TGN knots for the moment.

I have a 22mm Whipped Dog Silvertip knot headed my way for this 53mm tall black/butterscotch handle. I only face lather with soap so with that in mind, what would you guys who have owned this exact knot set the loft at? I don't want the breach to open up a whole bunch when lathering. I was thinking 44mm would be the lowest, let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• $852.JPG
    $852.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 406
I'd say 48 mm, to be in nice proportions with the handle.
Too low and it does not fit the handle.

Maybe keep the Berkeley ratio's in mind:

proxy.php

Top Bottom