What's new

Acquisitions Monday Oct. 1 - Sunday Oct. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet shaving soap (refill)

Mühle ceramic soap bowl (to fit the above :wink: )
M-P shaving soap (don't know which, smells good)

proxy.php

Not pictured: French Vetyver. I baptised this cream "French Vomit" because of its nauseating smell, or rather stench. The olfactory sensation is similar to GFT's Sandalwood, which I described as "a mixture of stale cheese (roquefort, four years past its expiry date), rotten eggs and lizzard's ****", although I think GFT possibly mislabeled their sample. The Cyril Salter "Indian Sandalwood" smells lovely, one of the best Sandalwood scents right out of the bowl... All other scents smell lovely and natural (the almond of course rather strong). But the French Vetyver is a definite no-no to me. I will quickly seal the bowl with a blowtorch, put it in a hazmat bag, attach a stone to it and drop it in the river. :001_07: :001_07: :001_07:

Pinaud Quinine Hair Tonic
Booster Polar Ice A/S
Kent Finest handmade comb for the gym bag

proxy.php

Not pictured: French Vetyver. I baptised this cream "French Vomit" because of its nauseating smell, or rather stench. The olfactory sensation is similar to GFT's Sandalwood, which I described as "a mixture of stale cheese (roquefort, four years past its expiry date), rotten eggs and lizzard's ****", although I think GFT possibly mislabeled their sample. The Cyril Salter "Indian Sandalwood" smells lovely, one of the best Sandalwood scents right out of the bowl... All other scents smell lovely and natural (the almond of course rather strong). But the French Vetyver is a definite no-no to me. I will quickly seal the bowl with a blowtorch, put it in a hazmat bag, attach a stone to it and drop it in the river. :001_07: :001_07: :001_07:

Send it to me for proper, hygienic disposal... :wink:

Seriously, I too have experienced 'the gag reflex' when sniffing vetyver scented products. Toxic puke is he closest I come.
However, yesterday, I smelled a very faint vetyver (I think L'Occitane's) on another gent (NO - he was just serving me some coffee :rolleyes: ) and I have to say I liked it. Really a scent of the fall, dry leaves, fire and earth, very nice indeed. So, MarSellus, maybe it'll grow on you.

Send it to me for proper, hygienic disposal... :wink:

Seriously, I too have experienced 'the gag reflex' when sniffing vetyver scented products. Toxic puke is he closest I come.
However, yesterday, I smelled a very faint vetyver (I think L'Occitane's) on another gent (NO - he was just serving me some coffee :rolleyes: ) and I have to say I liked it. Really a scent of the fall, dry leaves, fire and earth, very nice indeed. So, MarSellus, maybe it'll grow on you.

I like the L'Occitaine vetyver, but with regard to all other vetyver products I've smelled, I think MarSellus' suggested disposal approach is the way to go :biggrin:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The only two vetyver/vertiver scents that I have tried are the L'Occitane and the Royall. I have been using the L'Occitane for years. The Royall... I couldn't give it away fast enough.

Received two packs of twenty each blades from Ted Pella. I found their customer service to be top-notch and very professional.

I was working in the most dangerous square mile known to wetshaving mankind yesterday!
full

full

full

full

And a package from Smallflower.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
C&E Best Badger Brush for $35. I called ahead to my local store to make sure they had it. The sales lady said she had two, so I drove on over. She showed me the correct one on display, and then went to the back to get me one. She brought back a box that had a piece of paper taped to it saying "Best Badger Brush $35." I should have been skeptical about the piece of paper taped to the box.
I got to my car, and was just about to leave the mall when I decided to test the softness of this much admired brush (I have only worked with a boar and a synthetic up to this point). To my disappointment, it was nowhere near as soft as the brush on display, and I couldn't understand all the fuss about it. I then noticed it had the metal ring near the knot, and I didn't remember the display model having that. I then looked on the side and read "Pure Badger." I went back to the store and explained the mix-up to the lady, and she tried to tell me, "This is what they are marketing as Best Badger now." She didn't even look at the brush. I suspect she knew what she was giving me - with the taped on label. She said she didn't think they had the actual Best Badger, other than the display - but they are about the same. I displayed to her the difference in softness between the two and said they were not the same, and said that if you are going to tell me you have a Best Badger brush, hand me a box that says Best Badger, and I pay for a Best Badger, then I should receive a Best Badger. Finally she checked the back, and lo and behold, she had one more. This time it was the correct brush. I tried it last night, and it worked great, but I'm not sure I am going to be sending any more business to my local brick and mortar C&E. At least I have the outlet store a short drive away.
I also picked up a bottle of Thayer's Lavender witch hazel at my local GNC, and it smells heavenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom