What's new

How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out

Tried this process on my new Simpson's commodore X3. Dawn rinse plus lather of Dettol-Cool cream left in for ~6 hrs. Worked like a charm. It had only a slight funk to it after I wet it for the first time, and that is gone now.

I am glad I stumbled across this thread today. I just bought a Vie-Long badger brush, it is soaking in some Dawn dishsoap/water right now. Thanks:001_smile

Why did they choose badger, boar and horse hair for brushes? Badgers and boars spend their days digging in mud and horse hair comes from the rear end of the animal. Did someone make a bet that they could sell fur from a pig or a horse’s ***?

My pinstriping brushes are Squirrel hair, my best ones are Blue Squirrel hair. For some reason, I find those less offensive :)

Last edited:
I would have to say this method works well:thumbup1: All that remained was the scent of Mitchell's. In fairness though my brush was already pretty soft right out of the box.

My pinstriping brushes are Squirrel hair, my best ones are Blue Squirrel hair. For some reason, I find those less offensive :)

Squirrel you say. I have to get one of them.. This still needs to be made into a sticky. I have used it on badger hair, pure, best, and silvertip. I have used it on boar bristle, I.have even used it on horse hair. It works on all of them at getting the funk out.

It's not a shaving brush, it's a pinstriping brush

Like this...
proxy.php

for doing, like this....
proxy.php

Trying this tonight on an old pure bristle (boar?) brush I picked up off the Bay. It appeared that it had never been used, and I'm thinking this is likely the case since the first time I wet it, it smelled like wet pig. Right now it's sitting in an Arlington lather.

proxy.php

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I just bought a new semgue, and de-stinkified it using Palmolive and proraso cream. It smelled lousy going in, but it smells great now!!

I thought this was appropriate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmi60Bd4jSs:lol:

Squirrel you say. I have to get one of them.. This still needs to be made into a sticky. I have used it on badger hair, pure, best, and silvertip. I have used it on boar bristle, I.have even used it on horse hair. It works on all of them at getting the funk out.

Last edited:
I thought I would share some of my personal tips on how to break in a brush and get rid of that badger funk. Im one who hates the funk and a stiff brush thats not at its potential. After owning many brushes and trying different things I have found a perfect solution to this problem. It has been working for me to break in a new brush every time.

1. Wash it with dawn soap
2. Soak it in dawn soapy water for a few hrs
3. Build a lather and leave it to sit and dry over night - this is were most of the magic happens

The next day rinse it and soak it in water just before use and you should have no funk and it should be nice and broken in feeling.

I used irisch moos soap for this one and my custom rooney 3/1 from penworks.

Try it out and post your results :thumbup1:
cheers mate.great post....i did what u said and it worked...no smell in my brush.....plus i also bought a horse hair shaving brush online,the guy said that i should soak it in water overnight, which i did,the problem now is that i tried your technique ...the smells gone but its letting out color .maybe the brush was colored...please advise..

Some or should I say most of us do not like the wet badger smell and the wait of the brush breaking in and softening to its full potential.

Most of us already know that over time with regular use a brush will lose its smell and break in. This thread is intended to share and to help with the removal of the initial smell and to break in the brush only faster.

What you want to do with your brush and your routine is your preference.

I really find it rude that you say what we are doing is crap. If you have nothing to contribute please dont clog the thread. Im more than sure the gents that are reading this thread do not appreciate it.

well said.......

Just bought my 4th brush and I never noticed any smells....until this one. I swear it's made of skunk hair. It is currently in the lather phase. I hope this works! OP, thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom