What's new

Once you go Feather, there's no turning back

Feathers ruin u for every other blade out there. sometimes I still experiment, and end up switching blades by the 2-3 stroke.....There truly is NO substitute.

This thread is a perfect example of how YMMV applies. Personally Feather is my gold standard, but I had an amazing shave with med preps this morning, I might have a new fave along with the Feather.

For me:

Feathers are sharp, Crystals are smooth and I am still looking for a blade that is a good balance between the two.

Thanks,
Mike

For me:

Feathers are sharp, Crystals are smooth and I am still looking for a blade that is a good balance between the two.

Thanks,
Mike

If you haven't already, try Medical prep Personna. I found the Crystal too dull, but the med prep seems to have almost Feather sharpness with amazing smoothness. At least in my 37c slant.

Feathers are it for me. I haven't tried many others. Personna Red, Lab, Med, "Barber", Derby, & Merkur. I'm looking to trade for some Feahers for Gillette Yellow's since that is the blade that is most often mentioned as a potential alternative for the Feather. I'm always looking for a bargain so my search continues. I like knock-off generics when they are comperable so it's not like I'm a brand snob. The Feathers continue to rule and at a level that the others I've tried I don't consider an acceptable alternative even though I only get (2) shaves from the Feather and it's more costly than all the others I've tried.

I've used Feathers for nearly all of my 3 years with the DE. I have had thick heavy stubble growth since I was 18 which made daily shaving necessary and uncomfortable, but Feathers mow it down very efficiently. Derby's aren't too bad but I have tried, if memory serves, Wilkinson Sword, Personnas and Sputniks and they are useless for me. First few strokes with a new blade and I get tugging. I generally use a blade for 3 shaves, occasionally 4, but they're so cheap I don't see any reason to try to get more out of them.

Feathers were one of the first blades I tried and I really liked them at first, but after a while I realized they're just too sharp for me. I get more weepers and little bumps after a day of not shaving. I'm with those who are looking for sharp and smooth. So far I've tried Merkur, Derby, Personna, Dorco, Feather, Gillette 7 O'Clock (black), and Shark. Of those I'm really liking the Gillette 7 O'Clock the best. Personna was still a bit too sharp and the rest not as sharp. I'd like to try Crystals, Astras and 7 O'Clock Yellows. They say the blade accounts for 70% of the shave. Seems to me it's worth it to try as many as I can until I find the one that works best for me - especially since it's the cheapest aspect of traditional wetshaving.

I might be more fond of 'em if the edge didn't drop off a cliff after one to two shaves.

For my particular preferences, there are blades out there with better performance.

+1, The first shave with a new Feather was AWESOME! The second one, not so much. For me, I find the Derby's are a step below that first shave with a Feather but, I can get 4 or 5 shaves out of them. Even if you use a new Feather for every shave, you're still coming out cheaper than buying cartridges and getting a better shave IMHO.

Feathers work great for me in my fat-handle Tech - my favorite shaves as a matter of fact. Not so much in my Slim, Red Tip and Feather Portable. So the razor is a major factor.

I might be more fond of 'em if the edge didn't drop off a cliff after one to two shaves.

For my particular preferences, there are blades out there with better performance.

This. Great first shave and an almost ok second. I know at least 15 or 20 blades that give a far better 3rd shave than Feather can deliver on the second. Feather could become a fav if I could have them for around $ 0,05 each.

I like the Feathers, they work great on both my Futur and my Old Type open comb but recently they had to take second seat to Shark. I don´t really know why - I get about the same mileage from both of them just as the shave is comparable. Guess the flavor of Shark suits me better for some reason.

Feathers are OK for 2 shaves and then they degrade for quickly that I can not get a third shave from them. Many other better quality blades out there for the money.

#1. For me they just are not worth the money. Two shaves at that cost does not equal a great blade for ME.

Boy, I'm currently torn between the Feathers and my favorites, the Med Preps. When I first tried Feathers, I was still learning and it showed! I hated Feathers. I then moved on and tried several others, and then went back to try the Feathers. A combination of better technique as well as a different razor (Futur) seems to have made all the difference for me. However, I can only get two BBS shaves from a Feather and double that with the Personnas. The beauty of blades is that I can trade back and forth and use both! Perhaps the most important thing to keep in mind is what already has been said - what works for one might not work for others. Nothing really is more true than YMMV.

I had to revisit Feathers 3 times before they worked for me. Now I get 2 great shaves out of them. Fantastic blade, just not long lasting enough to make the cost worth it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

That is the number one problem with Feathers. I really like them, but the price for just two shaves is fairly steep. Perhaps if I could get them for 20-30 cents a blade I would only have Feather blades.

When I returned to shaving with a DE razor, I bought the "everything" sampler from WCS and tried 'em all. I have had the best shaves with the Feathers and the Astras (and Iridiums - but that story is about to come to an end). I have tried - and like - the Personna Prep blades and will likely order a few the next time I purchase.

As for the Feather/No-Feather argument, I have to weigh in with the camp that suggests if you like them, use them. If you don't send them to me. Everyone's face/beard/razor/technique differs so it is natural that YMMV.

Top Bottom