What's new

Once you go Feather, there's no turning back

I'll make this short and sweet as I'm just about to head out to work, but I just tried out an Israeli Personna blade I bought from Asda.. and the verdict? Rubbish.

I started wet shaving in January with a DE and moved onto a shavette after about 2 months, my first blades were Feathers and I carried on using them in the shavette. I've given 7 O'Clocks a go - rubbish, and the Personnas - so rubbish I got past 1 cheek and switched it back to a Feather half way through the shave as it was tugging so much that I thought it'd slip and chop an ear off. I don't understand how anyone can get a comfortable shave from something that isn't a Feather :confused1

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way about these wonderful Japanese death-dealers, I really don't think there's any point in bothering to try other blades once you've used a Feather. It's making me think I should just save up, invest in a Feather Artist Club DX and be set for the rest of my shaving life! :scared:

I don't understand how anyone can get a comfortable shave from something that isn't a Feather :confused1

:

Well, the reason is that everyone does'nt have your face, beard and skin!

I hate Feather blades. I've tried them over the years and have gotten the same terrible shave every time. To me, they are NOT smooth and I end up every single time with burn and weepers. And don't tell me it's my technique because I can use an Iridium, a Bleue Extra or 7 o'clock yellow and get a super smooth BBS shave every time.
Feathers are a definite "your milage may vary" blade that is not all things to all people.

Last edited:
Agree with the OP. Feathers make pretty much all other blades seem dull and inferior.

VolpeVerde, maybe the Feather demands a slightly different technique from what you currently use.?

Feathers are OK for 2 shaves and then they degrade for quickly that I can not get a third shave from them. Many other better quality blades out there for the money.

Im no expert but I love the feathers and get at least 5-6 (3) pass shaves from them and I have tough hair. They tore me up the first time but no burn or weepers since

I get 4 per blade (shavette taking half of one a time) but with that shavette I only need 1 pass on my neck and 2 on my face to get BBS. I'm sure I could get 3 or 4 per half blade but they're cheap enough and one pack lasts over a month for me

I hate Feathers too. I get better, more comfortable shaves from 5 or 6 other blades. They are smooth but way, way too harsh.

You shouldn't have to adjust your technique to a blade. Razor? Maybe. Blade? No.

VolpeVerde, maybe the Feather demands a slightly different technique from what you currently use.?

If I have a technique that works great with the majority of blades, but does'nt work with Feather, then which is the problem, Feather blades or technique? And if it is technique, then why should I change or adjust for one blade that has'nt worked for me in the past and does'nt have the same properties as the other blades that work?
No, there are many other blades that work far, far better for my needs. That just means more Feathers for those who enjoy them!

I might be more fond of 'em if the edge didn't drop off a cliff after one to two shaves.

For my particular preferences, there are blades out there with better performance.

It just surprises me that people find that blades that don't cut as well give better results, I always thought of them like kitchen knives - the duller ones are far more dangerous. How can a blade that tugs more give less irritation? I guess it'll forever be a mystery to me!

I don't dislike Feathers, they give me a great shave, just not enough shaves from one blade. I won't attempt a 3rd shave from one. Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellows IMO give an even better shave and I can get a weeks worth of shaving from one. There are several baldes that almost are as good as the Yellows, Bluebird is one, any other Gillette blade is also close, even the Indian Gillettes.

I use Feathers where I must. In Valet razors that can only take their SE blades. I'm thankful for them in those razors; my grandads razor is one of them.

It just surprises me that people find that blades that don't cut as well give better results, I always thought of them like kitchen knives - the duller ones are far more dangerous. How can a blade that tugs more give less irritation? I guess it'll forever be a mystery to me!

I can only answer from my point of view; the edge on a Feather is high performing, but not as smooth or long-lasting as, say, a Med Prep, or a 7 O'Clock yellow. I like that elusive combo of sharpness and smoothness.

Of course the two aforementioned blades are rubbish to you -- just proves the old adage about blades and YMMV...

Last edited:
I agree that sharper is better, but a blade can be too sharp as well. Yes, it can cut through the toughest whiskers, but there may be a price paid in skin.

Everyone's face and hair is different. What works for you will not necessarily be the best for another person. Feathers perform the best for you? Great. But 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Permasharp, Shark, Asco, and Racer blades perform the best for me.

I'll make this short and sweet as I'm just about to head out to work, but I just tried out an Israeli Personna blade I bought from Asda.. and the verdict? Rubbish.

Funny, I had the exact opposite experience. I tried Feathers. They are just painful. They give me a painful, bad shave with lots of nicks. It's rare for me to DE shave but when I do, and I've tried Feathers, it's just terrible. I will never use one again (anyone want a pack of Feathers? send me a PM).

In contrast, Israeli Personnas are great for me! They gave me good, comfortable shaves with no nicks. And they're cheap.

I think there are big differences in blade edge, and some people will like some a lot more than others, depending on things like blade angle, shaving technique, hair, and who knows what.

I'm in the Feather camp myself. Though ironically I'd say Israeli Personna blades are easily in my top 3 as well. Oh yes, milage does vary.

Top Bottom