What's new

Anyone with Pompadours, Old School Haircuts

Groom n Clean or Royal Crown should take care of your hair cut. I just got my Summer short cut and my hair was about as long as yours Groom n Clean held it in place all day.

Royal Crown will definitely slick it and hold it down, you have to watch out for the greasiness though. I only get to use it on special occasions my girl hates the smell and the stains it can leave behind:biggrin1:

I wear a pomp most of the time. It is impossible to find a barber that can cut a decent one, so I bite the bullet and pay for extremely expensive haircuts in Tampa. Although they cost a lot, it is the only place I can go to be assured that I get what I want.

Also, I use a number of different products depending on the style (pomped up, slicked back, sideswept, parted). Layrite is pretty much the only pomade I will use. It works fantastic, smells great and is water soluble. The only time I don't use it is if I'm just wearing it soft and natural, or if I'm going with a matte look that day.

proxy.php

I'm currently rocking a pompadour/mohawk. I keep the front up in a greased pompadour and shaved my beard into some large pointed sideburns. I currently look very very psychobilly and it look that's working very well for me.

Just ordered some Layrite Deluxe and Black & White, not easy to get hold of in Europe (found an online pomadeshop in Germany). Can't wait to use the Layrite.

Layrite is no good, it smells wonderful, but it's like using a gillette when you could use a real razor. Get yourself some NuNile, Murray's or Schmiere (I just started using Schmiere mittel, and it smells like a seabreeze and holds for days). http://www.sivletto.com ships worldwide I think, but personally i'm lucky enough to have the store in my hometown!

Edit: Also, Black & White when used together with a stronger pomade, works like a charm, but not on it's own, atleast judging from my experience and own hair.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I like Layrite for its ability to hold like a gel. I have used Sweet Georgia Brown/all murrays..etc and while they start off great, heat tends to let the hair fall. It just doesnt keep your hair in place. I find that the Layrite does hold the hair a bit better than other pomades.

FWIW I have been using the blue can of Sweet Georgia Brown for a few weeks now.

Could be worse! I actually had to change barbers. I've been rocking a pomp for the past year and a half, and I was going to an actual salon (hey, barbershops are incredibly scarce where I live), and had so much grease and pomade in my hair that I gummed up and burned up the chick's clippers. :laugh: Being as she'd been cutting my hair for almost a year, I felt obligated to pay for them on top of my haircut. However, I found a bad *** barbershop in Sacramento about 35 minutes away that I've been going to ever since. Didn't have the heart to go back to the same girl after burning up her clippers, and that almost a year ago.

But for anyone in the NorCal area, check out: http://eddys-deluxe.com/

Rea whom I think owns the shop is a killer lady, she cut my hair just yesterday (she's visiting here in Sweden)!
To anyone who has the opportunity, Eddy's Deluxe is the place to go, Hawleywoods would be a second choice for me, because i've been cut by one of their barbers here as well, and I was not as surprised by that work as Rea's.

Mr Ducktail is pretty awesome, it has a good hold for me and smells good. It's the stuff by hairgum. It's also not too hard to get out. I use the Green and Gold in the afternoon usually to restyle. It's SUPER waxy. I also just got a tin of nunile, anyone ever use that?

Last edited:
C

chynk

I want to achieve this look. How can it be done?
proxy.php

This is what I tried yesterday with the hair I have. Not sure if I can really count it as a pompadour though :/
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to achieve this look. How can it be done?
proxy.php

This is what I tried yesterday with the hair I have. Not sure if I can really count it as a pompadour though :/
proxy.php

That's not a pomp, but it looks god on you!

I think you need a stronger pomade to begin with. Perhaps a new haircut as well (or is your cut specifically meant for a pomp). The pomp is very hard to get a hang of.
I know i'm not happy with mine, and i've been sporting it for two damn years...

I use a saltwater spray to prime(language check?) with and then go for the pomade. one trick is to apply it "towards" your face, and then comb your hair back.

Preparation is really important!

Also the guy in the picture looks like he has that type of hair naturally, or a very professional barber...

Edit:

My recommendation:
http://www.pomade-shop.eu/epages/61591627.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61591627/Products/34004

coupled with

the same brands "Glanz"-pomade.

Makes for a shiny, all day-lasting pomp.

Edit 2: The Schmiere pomades really smell awesome btw!

Last edited:
Old thread I know, but I just started sporting a "mini pomp" (waiting for it to grow out) and out of 20 or so pomades I think schmiere knupplehart, dax wave and groom, and dax high and tight awesome hold are my three faves. Schmiere hart is very good too, but I prefer the little bit of extra hold from knupplehart. I will also use either dax short and neat, or schmiere weich as a top coat for some added sheen. Another product that I really like is dax black beeswax. It is for dark hair as it literally Is black. If it has just a smidge more hold it would be my #1

I love my fauxhawk (off and on since 05), and have ok looking long hair at the moment.... but I've been flirting with the idea of one of the flashier old school looks.

I've had my head shaved for nearly 15 years and I'm growing it out now just so I can use product and sport an old school style. So far I've got Groom & Clean and Suavecito Firme. I think some Lucky 13 Swagger is in my future as well as the regular Suavecito. My hair is still pretty short (maybe 3/4" on top) and faded around the sides. Rocking a side part currently but it'll change as my hair grows. Who knew there were so many pomades/products out there?!

I have been shaving my head since 1990 and I too am just now letting it grow to sport an old style cut. Really not long enough yet for a side part. I have been using Layrite and sometimes Groom & Clean to get it to lay down on the sides. It seems my hair has to be fairly long before it will start to lay down.

Took my tall pomp down really low, almost more like a standard slick back with a small lift in the front. Thinking of going with an undercut circa 1920s style. Love the pomp but it is too much maintenence with my hair type.

Top Bottom